Origins Playing Cards KS - Funded!

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
volantangel
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Re: Origins Playing Cards KS

Unread post by volantangel »

Just upped my pledge from a single deck to a brick as an early bird opened up ! =D
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

As for more coloring for the Grail, just like how the gold outlines look good on the normal deck, maybe a silver-ish coloring or black outline would make it pop.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

chach wrote:I actually prefer the nice, subdued, somewhat washed out colors being used in this deck over the harsh full frontal assault most decks hit your senses with.
Oh I like them a lot. We were just questioning why the project might not be generating the numbers it should. Price seems fine, design detail is outstanding.
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

Sher143 wrote:
th4mo wrote:
ivan wrote:I think it will be funded for sure.. but not sure about hitting some of the stretched goals. :(

There are a few paper deck projects with high funding goal (>=$30k)

Desjgn Playing Cards: 100% plastic playing cards (if you count plastic as paper) - $35k (Unsuccessful)
Apollo Playing Cards From 1890's - £25k - approx. $41k (Unsuccessful)
A French Revolution Playing Card Deck - $30k (Cancelled)
Sherlock Holmes - A playing card deck - $30k (Funded)
So, none were successful besides Sherlock Holmes... which was actually multiple decks from the start.

So this would be an unprecedented amount for a single deck, i think...
Rick explained in the FAQ section why the funding goal is so high. There are a couple of reasons:
1. The use of special stock for the tuckbox (Soft touch midnight blue for the First Edition, and later Natural Pearl for the Grail)
2. Embossing and foil which are already included in the design of the deck from the start instead of a stretch goal
3. The use of Bee stock off-the bat instead of being a stretch goal.

I think Rick wanted to create a really premium deck so he included all those special features from the start and set the high goal. He could have set a lower goal without the special features and instead put them as stretch goals to have a better chance at getting the deck funded, but then there would be the chance that he will be producing a deck that didn't have all the features of his original concept. This happened to 4PM Designs. They launched their Kickstarter campaign for the Legacy decks with a low goal of $15,000 which would have been enough to produce and ship two of their decks, and put the extra features as stretch goals. Near the end of the campaign, it looked like they would make their $15,000 goal but their stretch goals were not within reach. They ended up canceling the campaign because they wanted to produce the deck with all the special features they planned (since they assumed they would hit the stretch goals, based on their other campaigns). They relaunched with a higher goal of $30,000 and included all the special features from the beginning.
Oh, I understand all of that, Sher, and i didn't mean to sound like i was criticizing Rick at all. I actually applaud his effort to produce such a top notch product from the get go. I was just pointing out that he has really set a high bar for himself. I still hope he succeeds, as we all do! :D

Maybe i shouldn't have said this deck is "struggling", but i do think it is going to be very close...
It's hard for any KS playing card campaign to maintain a constant growth curve... they usually tend to flatten out in the middle. (I tend to follow the progress on KickTraq and Kickspy a lot)
This one is growing more consistently than just about any one i've seen. Thankfully, the stretch goal for the Grail decks is only $6000 more than the goal... so we might just make it to both! :D
Keep it Sizzlin'!
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

This campaign earned approximately 4k in the last 24 hrs! Things are looking much better :) Hopefully that momentum is sustained somehow. I see a lot of cross promotion going on between the playing card campaigns, so that's helping a lot. Today, I think the release of the new early pledge tiers probably helped tremendously. I think art prints might be available soon. :)
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

Sher143 wrote:This campaign earned approximately 4k in the last 24 hrs! Things are looking much better :) Hopefully that momentum is sustained somehow. I see a lot of cross promotion going on between the playing card campaigns, so that's helping a lot. Today, I think the release of the new early pledge tiers probably helped tremendously. I think art prints might be available soon. :)

Very glad to see this, really want to see it get to the Grail level.
Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

I think the art prints will be a big push. I mean look at those Queens!
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Almost there!!! 10,000 NZD more to go!
This one has to be funded!
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

Yashi wrote:I think the art prints will be a big push. I mean look at those Queens!
And Queen of Clubs is my card in numerology, so I'm glad Rick featured it. If it helps, the Q of C is one of the most psychic cards in the deck so maybe the force will pull it through.
Bikefanatic

I'll really like to have the art book but that's too high of a goal.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Sher143 wrote:This campaign earned approximately 4k in the last 24 hrs! Things are looking much better :) Hopefully that momentum is sustained somehow. I see a lot of cross promotion going on between the playing card campaigns, so that's helping a lot. ...
I wonder who thought of that? :lol:
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

The more I look at this deck the more I like it!! Rick has post an update where you can see from where he took the inspiration for the courts: http://originscards.com/archive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only thing that could make this deck even better (if it is possible!!!) is to make custom aces, instead of doing only the AoS you could do all of them! Keeping the same pattern of the AoS and just applying it to the other aces! Just an idea!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a note: $40,000 NZ is less than $33,000 US, so it's not really that much of a stretch. I know that Rick wanted to insure that he didn't underfund this project, and I applaud him for going for the grail, for which the stretch goal is set at a very minimal amount over the initial "funded" amount.

It's pretty normal for those of us that have watch a good many KS projects for them to "flatten out" in the middle, or basically the first 10 days and the last week or 10 days seem to be the "hot spots" for funding. You can see that in the past two days: after a 4,000 NZD increase on between the 1st and 2nd, it's quieted down a bit. You can also see the same thing happening in the last week of "Requiem" - it's starting to accelerate after being quite quiet for about 10 days in the middle of the campaign.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

The fact that this deck hasn't yet hit its funding depresses me, and makes me angry at the Kickstarter model. The card market on there seems far too arbitrary and not aware of what deserves support and what doesn't.

That the blue Fontaines (and I only use them because they are a recent example, good for Zach and all) could garner so much attention and money, when a clearly more involved and carefully thought out piece of artistry like Origins is scrabbling for a few extra dollars is, frankly, nuts.

My $.02.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Emmanuel
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Emmanuel »

Encarded wrote:The fact that this deck hasn't yet hit its funding depresses me, and makes me angry at the Kickstarter model. The card market on there seems far too arbitrary and not aware of what deserves support and what doesn't.

That the blue Fontaines (and I only use them because they are a recent example, good for Zach and all) could garner so much attention and money, when a clearly more involved and carefully thought out piece of artistry like Origins is scrabbling for a few extra dollars is, frankly, nuts.

My $.02.
I agree that the market can be very arbitrary, but to be fair, I think potential backers are wary of projects using non-US dollar currency.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Encarded wrote:The fact that this deck hasn't yet hit its funding depresses me, and makes me angry at the Kickstarter model. The card market on there seems far too arbitrary and not aware of what deserves support and what doesn't.

My $.02.

I know what you mean. I really don't understand how on earth this deck hasn't been funded yet. Heck I don't know how it didn't fund on day 1. The only thing I could think of is that people see the goal as well as that it's in NZD and are intimidated. But I don't know why they would be. Maybe because there's no Cthulu Pirates fighting Steampunk Zombies?
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

chach wrote:

My $.02.
I know what you mean. I really don't understand how on earth this deck hasn't been funded yet. Heck I don't know how it didn't fund on day 1. The only thing I could think of is that people see the goal as well as that it's in NZD and are intimidated. But I don't know why they would be. Maybe because there's no Cthulu Pirates fighting Steampunk Zombies?
I apologize in advance for the long post... ;)

I agree with all of the above. I am more confident now than before, though, that this deck is going to make it. I mean, it still has over 2 weeks to go. I agree that one of the biggest barriers is the foreign currency (though i don't really get the "why") and the high initial goal (the fact that this is $40,000 in NZ dollars, which is only about $33,000 in U.S. dollars, was actually lost on me to begin with as well).

And i think Chach hit on something else, perhaps unintentionally, which is that this deck doesn't really have a "gimmick" to pull people in. For all the fun we make of zombie, steampunk, and cthulu decks, there is apparently a big audience out there for those. The most successful Albino Dragon decks, as well as Jackson's Sherlock Holmes, have all had direct ties to other big audiences as well. Even the federal 52 decks, in all their beauty, had a pretty slick gimmick to them (not meant as a slight - maybe i should use the word "hook" instead).

So, what are the other decks that have raised big money? Some of the standouts are Uusi and Elite's decks. These companies have both built up a big following, while Rick is a first-timer. Elite's decks are all almost-over-the-top elegance, while UUsi's decks all have their own very unique themes. Then there's Black Book (hook); Permaculture (built-in market); Calaveras (hook); Oracle (hook, plus returning buyers); Quicksilver (Hook, and returning buyers); and so on down the line...

In comparison, Origins is a much simpler deck at first glance, with a much more subtle theme. Even though the theme is laid right out there from the beginning, how many non-card collectors care about what cards looked like 400 years ago? Plus, the Origins cards have taken those old designs and made them look much more like modern cards again. Which is totally the point, but may be less attention-grabbing than other themes. I imagine that, as stunningly beautiful as it is, it doesn't have that hook to pull in the casual KS buyer. Those of us who take more than an average interest in cards are totally in love with it, but it just might not be different enough for a lot of people out there.

Also, i'm not sure how many average buyers appreciate the upgrades and differences in the production and materials that Rick has incorporated into his project.

Lastly, there are just a LOT more playing card decks coming out these days, and i'm sure that some buyers are getting burned out. If this had come out in Nov 2012, it probably would have given Pedale a good run for its money. Now, though, the market may be reaching saturation, or over-saturation. I'm really curious to see how Jackson's Hive deck will do in comparison. (I am quite sure that his military decks will blow through the roof - but again he's tapping into a huge built-in market there).

Both Kicktraq and Kickspy have Origins trending to over $50,000 NZD, so it will easily make its goal AND the Grail stretch goal.
The graphs are surprisingly linear (not flattening out!), and I think that as the end approaches this will get a big boost, especially once the Grails are realized. There are almost 650 backers, and i'm sure that more than a few of them will up their pledges at that point.

So, don't give up on Origins yet! :D :D :D
Keep it Sizzlin'!
Bikefanatic

People must be dumb if they let the NZD confuse them because it says how much it is in US dollars.

-Lotrek

Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

I think Rick's gonna make it, just worry about getting to Grail level. Really really want that thing!
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

Bikefanatic wrote:People must be dumb if they let the NZD confuse them because it says how much it is in US dollars.
Well, i already admitted that it confused me at first, so call me dumb if you want... :lol:

But in my defense, it only gives the US$ amounts for each pledge level (which are actually rough estimates), and this was not my issue. I would have paid the NZD price per deck or way more for this particular project.

Plus, I was mainly discussing the project goal, which is shown as "$40,000", does NOT say that this is meant to be in NZD, and also does NOT show the USD equivalent.
Of course, if you look at the line right above, which shows the current funding level, that has a big old "NZD" next to it... :oops:
Keep it Sizzlin'!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looking good, Rick! We're headed for some Grail decks, I do believe.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Bikefanatic wrote:People must be dumb if they let the NZD confuse them because it says how much it is in US dollars.
Yes, people are definitely dumb. Don't think that necessarily directly relates to the confusion however.
Bikefanatic

th4mo wrote:
Well, i already admitted that it confused me at first, so call me dumb if you want... :lol:

But in my defense, it only gives the US$ amounts for each pledge level (which are actually rough estimates), and this was not my issue. I would have paid the NZD price per deck or way more for this particular project.

Plus, I was mainly discussing the project goal, which is shown as "$40,000", does NOT say that this is meant to be in NZD, and also does NOT show the USD equivalent.
Of course, if you look at the line right above, which shows the current funding level, that has a big old "NZD" next to it... :oops:
I guess people thought "Oh I don't have the actual New Zealand dollars so I can't pledge for this". Each pledge tier shows the "about" equivalent! If someone likes a project then it shouldn't matter what the currency is if you know how much it is in your own money. Good thing I'm in the US, I'll be willing to pay extra in shipping for an overseas project if worth it.

-Lotrek

RickDavidson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RickDavidson »

Guys, hi :)

Sorry I've been quiet, been busy trying to get this campaign on track. Glad to see UC back to its best! Kind of prefer to stay away and let you talk freely, tho I have thick skin and appreciate any feedback :). But just dropping in to say thank you for the support and comments.

Its been a tough haul yes but totally expected. I bent over backwards trying to set up a US dollar campaign knowing it would be an issue, hit a lot of walls there, and yes the bulk of emails I have are confusion and suspicion over the currency. Yes a lot of comments and frustration thinking 40k US. Dropping in US dollars was an attempt to help, but that also adds to confusion for some so lessons learned.

In the end I've been humbled by the feedback and I could not fund and feel happy I did my best, but my goal now is reaching the Grail for the support people have shown. It was a super tough decision to split the decks to begin.

Anyway, feeling happier now, a way to go. The support from the community, collectors and designers both, has been special for a newb like myself so thank you all, it's meant a lot.
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

:D :D :D Hang in there, Rick, your work is fantastic and let's go for the Grail! Heck, I was nuts about the the standard deck, the Grail is the icing on the cake.
RickDavidson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RickDavidson »

Thanks Widdee! When I got the quote for both decks I was pretty disappointed, so great to have the progress of the last few days. Both would be amazing :) see how we go!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

RickDavidson wrote:Thanks Widdee! When I got the quote for both decks I was pretty disappointed, so great to have the progress of the last few days. Both would be amazing :) see how we go!
Amazing campaign, Rick! I'm thinking those Grail decks are coming up any day now, given that we're almost through the middle 10-day "doldrums" that happens in almost every 30-day playing card project. I think the 40.000 NZD + 6.800 NZD (?) is a given at this point. I guess we'll see, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, that's a fact!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

Mike Ratledge wrote:
RickDavidson wrote:Thanks Widdee! When I got the quote for both decks I was pretty disappointed, so great to have the progress of the last few days. Both would be amazing :) see how we go!
Amazing campaign, Rick! I'm thinking those Grail decks are coming up any day now, given that we're almost through the middle 10-day "doldrums" that happens in almost every 30-day playing card project. I think the 40.000 NZD + 6.800 NZD (?) is a given at this point. I guess we'll see, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, that's a fact!
Many Ebay auctions are like that. Big flurry at first, a few days of nuttin', then a big crescendo at the end.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

I just wish I could buy a brick or 2 of these amazing cards... Unfortunally, customs here in Portugal are a nightmare.... Very high fees and taxes..
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

Almost... almost... 39,753... When I wake up tomorrow it'll be funded for sure!!! :D