Anything and everything playing cards!
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

HOW I STARTED THIS ADDICTION - ER, COLLECTION

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Hello again all:

Robert S. Lancaster here again.

As I said in my "Introcing RSLancaster (me)!" thread (in the "Introduce Yourself" section of the UC Forum), I have a collection of more than 2,000 decks of unusual playing cards - primarily deks with non-standard (custom) courts.

A couple of months ago, an onlne friend asked me when/how I had started such an unusual hobby.

People arealways surprised by it, and say they have never even heard of the hobby (it ain't exactly stamp collecting, is it?).

In response to my online friend I wrote the following, and thought I would share it with you all here at UC.

It's pretty long, but I hope to insert some scans of cards to make it more interesting.

-RSL

HOW I STARTED THIS ADDICTION - ER, COLLECTION

=====[ 1968 - MY FIRST DECK (AN INNOCENT ENOUGH BEGINNING) ]=====

In 1968 or 1969, when I was ten or eleven years old, my mother and I walked into a Hallmark Cards store in a local mall (we lived in Los Angeles County). She told me we could buy something for me as long as it was inexpensive (I think she said "less than a dollar"), so I started looking around for something that would catch my eye, and found a display of little boxes of decks of miniature playing cards. At the time, I enjoyed having kid-sized versions of things which I thought of as for adults, and these cards certainly fit the bill! Our family played lots of cards (mostly Rummy), and my siblings and I also played lots of Klondike Solitaire (we simply called it "Solitaire"), but the cards had aways been bit large for my (kid-sized) hands.

Back at the Hallmark Store: I looked at all of the boxes of miniature card decks, and they seemed to be just the right size for my hands! The boxes were all sealed, so I looked at the images on them, figuring that what was on them would also be on the back of the cards.

Most of the images were pretty boring (landscapes, flowrs, horses, etc.) until I found one which really caught my eye: it was drawing of Snoopy on his dog house, against a "psychedelic" background of orange and yellow! I loved Snoopy (who didn't?), and the "psychedelic" design was cool (or I guess I would have thought it was "groovy" - it was the 1960s!). I showed them to my mother, and she hesitantly approved the purchase (I believe they were all of 75 cents). We bought them and left the store.

I opened them when we got home, and was, at first, disappointed that the Jacks, Queens and Kings in the deck were not the ones I was used to seeing. No, they were portrayed by the Peanuts Characters Linus, Lucy and Charlie Brown! The Jokers had Snoopy, wearing a jester's hat, juggling three balls and a dizzy Woodstock.

Even the Aces featured Snoopy again - dressed up as the World War I Flying Ace, of course!

Although initially disappointed that the deck was not just a kid-sized version of an adult's deck, I came to enjoy the deck and its unusual courts (we called them the "face cards" back then), jokers and aces. My friends and I played countless games of Rummy on the floor of my bedroom with that deck.

Eventually the deck, in its box, ended up in a dresser drawer where I kept small playthings I no longer used.

=====[ 1978 - MY SECOND DECK (THE ADDICTION GROWS) ]=====

I know the exact date I purchased the second deck in what later became my collection: December 16, 1978.

I remember the date because it was the day after I married my first wife (at the age of twenty).

We went to Disneyland the day after our wedding for a "honeymoon" of sorts.

As we walked down Main Street in the park, we passed a glass booth on the sidewalk in front of a store. The booth contained a mannequin dressed as a gypsy fortuneteller, and was seated with a crystal ball and a spread of playing cards which she was studying intently. If you put some coins into a slot, the mannequin started moving and a recording played, in which she told your fortune.

As we looked at the display, I suddenly noticed that the playing cards in front of the "gypsy" were unusual - The Jacks, Queens and Kings were portrayed by Donald Duck, Minnie Mouse and Mickey Mouse, and the Joker was Goofy (of course)!

Reminded of my Peanuts playing cards, I wondered if the deck was for sale somewhere in the park. We went into the store the glass case was in front of and, sure enough, the deck was sold there (with either a blue or red back). I purchased one and tossed it into the bag with our other souvenirs of the day.

The next day at home, I pulled the deck out of its box and examined the cards. I wanted to compare it with my Peanuts deck, so I pulled THAT out of its box (I still had it in a box containing some of my favorite childhood things (okay, so I'm a packrat).

As I compared the two decks I started to wonder: could there be other decks out there with unusual "face cards", perhaps depicting other cartoon characters? If so, wou8ldn't that be a cool thing to collect?

I mentioned this to my wife Cindy, and she said that she had seen some unusual face cards in decks she had seen during her frequent visits to antique stores and thrift stores. I hads gone to such stores with her a time or two and been bored out of my skull. But I asked her if I could go with her the next time she went, and thus started more than twenty years of her and I scouring antique stores/malls, with me opening and looking at every deck of cards they had for sale.

I soon found that there were MANY decks with unusual "face cards", and not just depicting cartoon characters!

Some showed portraits of famous people (royalty, politicians, actors, etc). Others depicted characters from literature (Shakespeare, Melville, Mother Goose, etc), advertising mascots (The Pep Boys, "Snap, Crackle and Pop", etc), and more! I bought all the ones I found.

The decks with advertising mascots made me wonder if any then-current companies were still producing such decks. This led to my stopping in at various stores and asking if they sold unusual decks of playing cards.

This usually got me strange looks from sales clerks, with confused responses like "No, this is a clothing store!" (with an implied "...you idiot!" at the end).

But every once in a while there would be a payoff. I asked at a Big Dog clothing store once, and the clerk said "No...wait! hold a sec, let me check something..." She went into the back and came out with a handful of decks of cards! "We just go these in last week, and didn't know where to put them. Afe they what you are looking for?

I opened one and - paydirt! The Jacks, Queens, Kings and Jokers were all portrayed by the chain's mascot, a large black-and-white, St. Bernardish dog!

Other times I would see a store which, while it did not have a mascot character, had a "theme" which I could easily see used to design an unusual card deck around. I would walk in and ask "Do you happen to sell any playing cards?". Again, probably 99 out of a hundred clerks would look at me as though I was insane for even asking, but that one out of a hundred made it all worthwhile!

Once, while strolling through a mall on my lunch hour, I saw a store which sold Afrocentric merchandise (African-styled clothing and such).

I immediately thought how cool it would be if there was a deck of playing cards where the face cards were black people!

I walked into the store and went to the clerk in the back, getting a few suspicious looks from other customers on the way (I was the only white person there).
The clerk also gave me a "what are YOU doing here?" Look.

A conversation went something like this:

Her: Can I help you with something?
Me: Yes. I was wondering if you sold any playing cards.
Her: Playing cards? No!! (again, the "...you idiot" was strongly implied)
Me: Oh, okay. I just thought you might have one where the face cards were black people.
Her: Oh, I see. OH, WAIT A SEC!!

(She rummaged around under the counter and came up with a handful of decks of cards. I opened one and - sure enough, the Jacks, Queens and Kings were not only black, but were dressed in African clothing!

Me: Yes, these are EXACTLY what I was looking for!
Her: We just got them in, and I didn't know where to display them...

I bought one. They were made by a company called Blacks Factor (a take-off on the company Max Factor).

The clerk was bemused, probably wondering why a white man was so jazzed to have found such a deck...

By this time it was around 1985. I only had about fifteen or twenty decks in my collection, but was confident there were many more out there - but, how to find them?

=====[ A NEW PLACE TO LOOK ]=====

By the mid 1990s, I was working as a contract computer programmer at Buena Vista Home Video, the video arm of the Disney Corporation.

It was a large (for the time)"cubicle farm" in a building in Burbank, California.

Not surprisingly, there was Disney-themed stuff on display everywhere there. Even some of the employees' cubicles displayed items from their personal collections of Disneyana. I mentioned my Disney deck to one of them who was an absolute nut about Disney (his entire home was decorated, floor to ceiling with his collection of Disneyana), and he urged me to bring in the deck to display it in my cubicle.

I didn't want to just pin or tape the cards up in my cube, so I found some plexiglass frames which were made to display Baseball cards - four to a frame.

I bought five of them.

I loaded four of them with the J,Q,K & A from the four suits in the Disney deck, and loaded the fifth with a Joker, a card Back, and two small printouts I had made of a wrieup I had done about the deck and my collection.

I brought these five frames to work the following Monday morning and hung them up in my cubicle.

Throughout theday, as people stopped into my cubicle to speak with me about this or that, they would comment on the cards, intrigued by my hobby. More often than not, after they left the cubicle they would later return, bringing another employee with them to see the cards. Soon, people I did not even know were stopping in just to see the cards they had heard about!

Throughout that week, many of the people who had seen the cards told me that they would like to see cards from other decks in my collection!

Be careful asking a collector to show you their collection - you just might get what you asked for!

That Friday I took the frames back home.

Over the weekend I chose another deck from my collection (I think it was the Blacks Factor deck), loaded up the frames from it, and took them to work the following Monday morning, where I hung them again in my cubicle. I also composed an email about the deck and sent it out to all of the people who had expressed an interest in seeing other cards from my collection.

By lunch, most of them had stopped by, looked at the cards and, often, came back with someone else to show the cards to! People really seemed to love looking at playing cards!

From then on, it became a regular start to every workweek: I brought in cards from another deck, put them in the frames, and sent out an email announcing "this week's deck". Often, within an hour of my sending the email, there would be a line of people standing outside my cubicle waiting to see the cards!

Someone said that it was almost like visiting an art gallery exhibit, and joked that I should get a velvet rope/cordon to keep the waiting line organized.

I started heading each Monday's announcement email "This week's exhibit at The Bob Lancaster Gallery of Unusual Playing Cards" and would print out information about that week's "exhibit" and place it on an easel next to the frames. This went on for months!

Along about this time, I had been hearing about this new "Internet thing" and joined AOL so that I could take a look.

One of the first things I did on the internet was to search for information about playing cards, but all that was out there then was about PLAYING with playing cards, not COLLECTING them.

I did find eBay (back then it was called Auction Web), and got many unusual decks by winning auctions there.

After my contract at BVHV expired (I had been there more than three years at that point), and was sad that I no longer had a place to share some opf my collection with people.

Frustrated that I was finding no web sites for playing card collectors on the Internet, I decided to look into creating one myself! I had been a professional computer programmer for almost twenty years at that point, so I figured "how hard could it be?" and, with those famous last words, I dove into learning HTML, the only way at the time to create a web site. (This was before blogging and such had made it possible for a non-technical person to create web sites).

I caught on fairly quickly, and used the web space which came as part of my AOL account to create a display of cards from four of the decks from my collection (including the Disney deck and the Blacks Factor deck).

Since I wanted it to be much like what I had done with my cards at BVHV, I named the web site "The Bob Lancaster Gallery of Unusual Playing Cards" too!

As I added more deck displays to the web site (initially, I tried to add at least one every month), I started getting email from others who also collected playing cards - I wasn't the only person with the hobby!!

Through some of these fellow collectors I learned about - and later joined - card collector clubs, such as 52+J (52 Plus Joker, a group focusing on decks published in America) and the IPCS (International Playing Card Society)

Through these organizations - and through my email contacts from my web site - I grew to find that there was faaar more to the hobby than I had imagined, and that there were card collectors all around the globe!

In 1997 I was invited to speak at the annual convention of 52+J, where I spoke on "How to Use the Internet in Collecting Playing Cards"

Few people present there had much experience on the Internet, and many were amazed when I brought up on my projection screen images of my site, eBay auctions of playing cards, a few sites where vendors sold collectible cards, and images of the web site I had just created for 52+J itself!

(I had sold the club's officers on my creating the site in a meeting where they asked me questions like "Do you really think this Internet is going to catch on?" and "Do you really think that people will use the Internet to find information about their hobbies?" (Remember, this was 1997)).

During the presentation, people in the audience Ooohed and Aaahed at the images of playing cards, and asked me lots and lots of questions as they started realizing that there was more to the Internet than they had thought, and that it might be of use to them!

There are many other stories I could tell about my card-collecting adventures, such as my touring playing card museums in Europe, my attempt to design a Transformation deck, a playing card I designed being on display in a museum in Vittoria, Spain, and much more, but I've blathered on far too long already, so I will end with this:

Collecting playing cards is a hobby rich in history and variety, and which has helped me to form lasting friendships with fellow collectors and vendors in countries all over the world.

NOTE:

All of the images in this post are from the archive.org copy of my old, now-defunct, web site.
They were all scanned using a mouse-like hand-held scanner (a painstaking process neccesary before flatbed scanners became affordable to me).
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Re: HOW I STARTED THIS ADDICTION - ER, COLLECTION

Oops, I just saw that the image links are not working.

They can all be seen by visiting the archive.org copy of my old site, at:

http://web.archive.org/web/200504210049 ... blgupc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Marcel Marceau
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

Very cool (and extensive!) story about your hobby. I'd wager that you have one of the largest collections of anyone on here, and probably have been collecting for a lot longer than most as well. Very interesting to hear of all the things you've found and seen, and if you come across any new acquisitions please be sure to share, I'm sure everyone would be interested to see them.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
SilvaAce

Unread post by SilvaAce »

Really cool read Robert! I can't imagine 30 years from now what deck collecting stories I will have. Thanks for sharing your story and keep on with the addiction. :D
Cardman

Unread post by Cardman »

Wow! That is really incredible! I am happy to hear that collecting playing cards has brought about such terrific experiences for you. How do you go about storing so many decks of cards? Do you open all of them or keep some sealed? What is the greatest quality or emotion that you can describe about collecting cards? I look forward to hearing more about your collection and your thoughts.
RSLancastr

Encarded wrote:Very cool (and extensive!) story about your hobby. I'd wager that you have one of the largest collections of anyone on here, and probably have been collecting for a lot longer than most as well. Very interesting to hear of all the things you've found and seen, and if you come across any new acquisitions please be sure to share, I'm sure everyone would be interested to see them.

Thanks, Encarded!

Almost all of my acquisitions in the past two years have been Bicycle decks (the most recent being Faith, The Grid, Coffin Fodder, Zombies and Prestige (both Red and Blue backs).

I posted this in my "Introducing RSLancastr" thread, but here it is again, a partial list of my Bikes (all purchased in tyhe past two years or so:

(The names look a little weird because they are actually the names of the folders on my PC where I have stored scans of a few cards from each):

Bicycle_125thAniversary_Blue
Bicycle_125thAniversary_Red
Bicycle_127thAniversary
Bicycle_2008ElectionEdition_Democrat
Bicycle_2008ElectionEdition_Republican
Bicycle_AllWheelNo2
Bicycle_Americana
Bicycle_Archangel
Bicycle_BlackSpider
Bicycle_BlackWarrior
Bicycle_BlueBlood
Bicycle_BreastCancerResearchFoundation_v1
Bicycle_BreastCancerResearchFoundation_v3
Bicycle_Bridge_Blue
Bicycle_Bridge_Red
Bicycle_DragonBack_Blue
Bicycle_DragonBack-Gold
Bicycle_DragonBack_Red
Bicycle_Eco
Bicycle_Elephant
Bicycle_Faded_Blue
Bicycle_Faded_Cream&Aqua
Bicycle_Faded_Red
Bicycle_Fashion_Berry
Bicycle_Fashion_Blue
Bicycle_Fashion_Green
Bicycle_Fashion_Pink
Bicycle_Galvanic
Bicycle_HanshinTigers
Bicycle_HeritageDesignSeries_NauticBack
Bicycle_HeritageDesignSeries_AcornBack
Bicycle_HeritageDesignSeries_AutomobileNo2Back
Bicycle_HeritageDesignSeries_LotusBack
Bicycle_HopeForHaiti
Bicycle_Jumbo_Blue
Bicycle_Jumbo_Red
Bicycle_JumboIndex_Blue
Bicycle_JumboIndex_Red
Bicycle_LtdEditionSeries_01
Bicycle_LtdEditionSeries_02
Bicycle_Maiden_Blue
Bicycle_Maiden_Red
Bicycle_Mandolin_Blue
Bicycle_Mandolin_Red
Bicycle_PartyStarters_1950s
Bicycle_PartyStarters_1960s
Bicycle_PartyStarters_1970s
Bicycle_PartyStarters_1980s
Bicycle_Pink&Lavender
Bicycle_ProPokerPeekFace_Blue
Bicycle_ProPokerPeekFace_Red
Bicycle_PurpleDeck
Bicycle_RedDragon
Bicycle_ReverseBack_Black
Bicycle_ReversedBack_Blue
Bicycle_ReversedBack_Green
Bicycle_ReversedBack_Red
Bicycle_ReversedBack_Yellow
Bicycle_RiderBack_Blue
Bicycle_RiderBack_Fuschia
Bicycle_RiderBack_Green
Bicycle_RiderBack_Orange
Bicycle_RiderBack_Red
Bicycle_Roboycle_Black
Bicycle_Roboycle_Blue
Bicycle_Rosefinch
Bicycle_Steampunk_Silver
Bicycle_Target_Bungalow
Bicycle_Target_Flirtatious
Bicycle_Target_Rejuvenate
Bicycle_Target_Twilight
Bicycle_Tattoo
Bicycle_TheCat
Bicycle_TheDog
Bicycle_TheGrid
Bicycle_WoundedWarriorProject
Bicycle_YomiuriGiants
Bicycle_Zombies

I have also recently purchased (but it has yet to arrive) what looks to be very cool modern Spanish-suited )Cups, Coins, Swords & Clubs (or, en Espanol: Copas, Oros, Espadas y Bastos), but with a modern twist that is hard to describe. I'll try to post scans once they arrive.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

SilvaAce wrote:Really cool read Robert! I can't imagine 30 years from now what deck collecting stories I will have. Thanks for sharing your story and keep on with the addiction. :D
I'm sure you will have stories you could not even dream of now, Silva! You keep on too, thanks!
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Cardman wrote:Wow! That is really incredible! I am happy to hear that collecting playing cards has brought about such terrific experiences for you. How do you go about storing so many decks of cards? Do you open all of them or keep some sealed? What is the greatest quality or emotion that you can describe about collecting cards? I look forward to hearing more about your collection and your thoughts.
Good questions, Cardman!

Here goes...

Q. How do you go about storing so many decks of cards?

A. Mostly in a couple dozen cardboard boxes - the kind made to store collections of Baseball cards - each box is approx 10" wide, 3.5" tall, and 18" long (I am just guesstimating here), and is divided into four long compartments. each compartment is just wide enough for a row of standard, poker-sized decks standing on end.

Q. Do you open all of them or keep some sealed?

A. I don't think I have ever left a deck sealed. Because...

* I am not that concerned about that devaluing the deck
* I want to look at the cards
* What fun is a sealed deck of cards?

Q. What is the greatest quality or emotion that you can describe about collecting cards?

A. I'm not sure what you are asking, but this might be the answer:

Back around 1999-2000, I tried designing a transformation deck. I got about twenty cards done, and they were quite striking - some absolutely stunning. I showed printouts of a few at a card-collector's convention, and they were very well received.

At about the same time, I received a letter from a man in the IPCS (International Playing Card Society) - a group of collectors to which I belonged. The letter gave the details for a deck project the group was putting together for a deck they intended to publish in 2000. The deck, titled "A Century of Playing Cards", was going to contain images of cards from 56 decks of cards which had been published between 1900-1999.

The club had chosen 56 of its members, andhad assigned each of them one card (mine was the Five of Clubs). Each member chosen was to scan in an example of their assigned card from their collection and email the scan back to the man in charge of the project.

We were to choose the card to send from a deck published in our country (the members were chosen so that a wide variety of countries would be represented in the deck). Half of the members selected were told that the card they sent was to be from a deck published between 1900-1950, the other half of the member were told to choose their card from a deck published between 1951-1999. This made sure that a wide variety of years were represented in the deck.

I was excited to have been chosen, and started combing through my collection to find a cool Five of Clubs from an American deck published between 1951-1999. but none really grabbed me. (have you ever looked at more than 1,000 Fives of Clubs?)

Then it occured to me: What about the Five of C<lubs from the Transformation deck I was designing? It had not been published, so I was not sure whether it met the rfequirements for the project. I emailed the man in charge of the project about it and he replied, saying that including a card from an as-yet-unpublished deckwould give the project a sort of a tip-of-the-hat to decks that would be published in the then-upcoming century (2000-2099)!

I sent him a scan of my deck's Five of Clubs, and he loved it!

The "Century of Playing Cards" deck was published in 2000. Each of its 56 cards (52 + 4 jokers) contained an image, slightly smaller than the card itself, of the card submitted by the chosen member.

The deck came with a small book. each two-page spread in the book had an image of a card on the left-hand page, and a writeup about the card (and the member who had selected it from his or her collection.

To hold in my hands a playing card of my own design, after several years of obsessing over playing cards, was just...incredible.

But wait, there's more!

It was announcedat the convention that the "Hunred Years..." deck was going to be on permanent display in the Fournier Playing Card Museum in Vittorio, Spain, and that every card in the deck would be in the display!

So evidently, a likttle piece of my "art" is being displayed in a museum in Spain - And the sense of wonder at THAT, and picturing that display in my mind, is probably the biggest emotion I have received from the hobby.

I hope that answered your question.
-Marcel Marceau
Cardman

Unread post by Cardman »

Wow, what a story. You have certainly answered my questions with very inspiring experiences to say the least. Very cool dude!
RSLancastr

Thanks, Cardman!

Of course, I couldn't do a "windmill" if my life depended on it!

By the way, your User Name reminds me of when many folks -especially the clerks in various stores where I looked for playing cards on my lunch hour - called me "The Playing Card Guy"!

I would walk into a store and someone would call out "Hey, it's The Playing Card Guy!!!"
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Here is another story of a great feeling I got from a Playing Card collecting experience:

I was attending a convention of the 52 Plus Joker organization (a society of collectors of American playing cards) in 1997 when the then-president of the club told me that he had purchased a great deck of cards which he offered to sell to me, as thanks for my having designed the club's web site..

The deck was an extremely unusual deck. It was titled "Palestine Play-cards", and had been designed by famous Israeli artist Ze'ev Raban (a key proponent of the Bezalel school of art in Israel) around 1920.

The cards were somewhat smaller than Bridge-sized, had square corners, and were printed on a thin, uncoated stock (no good for cardistry, I'm afraid). They almost felt as though they were printed on newspaper, and were an off-white color, similar to newspaper.

The deck appeared to be Raban's attempt to design a national deck for Palestine (which would later become Israel).

The courts were single-ended (showing the person from head to foot), and depicted various people from the Torah (what Christians refer to as The Old Testament), such as David, King Ahaseurus, Jonathan and Cleopatra, The name of the character was printed on each court card in both English and Hebrew

The joker was the demon Asmodai.

The suits were replaced by four symbols from Israeli iconography - A menorah, a Star of David, a leaf (perhaps a fig leaf?), and an odd-looking shape that resembled a spade, but was red, not black.

That last suit intrigued me. It was described - in playing card reference books where the deck was mentioned - as a "red spade", but what did that have to do with Israel or Judaism? I asked my friend Robert Kissel - a fellow collector of playing cards, a highly-educated man (he both read and spoke nine languages fluently) and a practising Orthodox Jew, about the "red spade", and it bothered him as well. Everything else about the deck was absolutely iconic to Judaism, so why would Raban have chosen a "red spade" as one of the suits? It made no sense to him.

I became obsessed with the deck.

I had paid $200 for it - more than I had spent on any other deck (before or since). Minutes after I bought it I was offered $1,000 for it, which I declined. It seemed to be a real find!

Other collectors out there reading this may notice similarities between my description of this deck and another deck known as "The Bible Deck", printed by Lion Playing Cards in the 1950s/60s.

"The Bible Deck" was also designed by Raban, but used double-ended (the same rightside-up as upside-down) versions of the same courts, was printed on standard, poker-sized, coated cardstock, and used French suit signs (hearts, clubs, diamonds and spades). It was sold primarily to the tourist trade, whereas the earlier "Palestine Play-cards" deck was apparently aimed at Israelis themselves.

Another odd thing about the deck was the fact that instead of coming in a box, it came in an open-ended "wrapper" made from a postcard which itself was an advertisement for the deck! Between the open-ended box and the cards being so thin and easily torn, it was easy to see why so few complete and intact copies of the deck had survived the nearly eighty years since it had been printed!

But what were those "Red Spades"?

Then, a wondrous thing happened:

One day during the time that I was really obsessed about the deck, I was walking through the kitchen of my home. It was around Thanksgiving (the convention where I had purchased the deck was held in October), and my then-wife had bought a cornucopia-type horn made from wicker, had filled it with seasonal fruits and vegetables, and had decorated our kitchen table with it.

As I walked through the kitchen I glanced at this "horn of plenty" and stopped dead in my tracks. There, amongst all the other fruits and vegetables, was a bright red pomegranate and, from the angle I was at, it looked EXACTLY like one of those "Red Spades"!!

Interesting, but what did Pomegranates have to do with Judaic iconography?

Nothing, as far as I knew.

But I decided to call my friend Robert Kissel and ask him.

When I ran the idea past him there was a silence, and then he said (and I paraphrase) "I think you have made quite a discovery!! Pomegranates are mentioned more than once in the Torah - they are mentioned in God's instructions to Moses as decorations to be carved into pillars in the Temple, and as decorations to be embroidered into the hems of the garments worn by the Temple priests!"

Mr. Kissel went on to say that pomegranates are traditionally eaten by Jews on Rosh Hashana, and are often represented in Judaic art!

I was absolutely floored, having known NONE of that.

Intrigued, I called a museum of Israeli art and spoke with the curator there, an elderly rabbi who was quite knowledgeable in Judaic art. He was familiar with the artist, but had not heard of this deck of playing cards. I described the deck to him, and when I told him my theory about the "Red Spades" being pomegranates, he said that it would make perfect sense for Raban to have used them as a suit-sign in what he had evidently hoped would become the national deck pattern for Israel.

I made a display of the deck on the web site of 52 Plus Joker, and mentioned my theory that the "Red Spades" were actually Pomegranates. A few Jewish card collectors congratulated me on my "find", saying that I had added to the body of scholarly knowledge about old decks. Quite a heady thing to me!

So I would count that instant in my kitchen, when I spotted that pomegranate at just the right angle to recognize it from that deck, as one of the more exciting experiences I've had in my years collecting and studying about playing cards.
-Marcel Marceau