Displaying your card collection

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Displaying your card collection

Unread post by badpete69 »

Hello again all

I want to discuss and explore how people in general display their personal card collection. The main reason I asked is that of the hundreds of decks I have purchased since I began collecting last year, I have not opened a single one. Every single deck is still sealed and stored away in shoe type boxes. Now as you all know some of these decks have amazing art, design and backs and I ache every day that I cannot really look at them like a photo album.

I have seen the many different racks that exist to display your decks but being an ex sport cards collector, i feel like I should be opening my decks and storing them in 9 card sleeve and binders like I use to do for my baseball cards. Uncut sheet could be a way also I assume to enjoy the design of decks but I am not a big fan of them. Now what would be cool is if card designers and creators could offer a 5 card display set that would include a joker, the ace of spade, one face card (or two), a double back card and maybe a random number card. I would enjoy a set like that for every one of my deck and I would easily pay $1 or 2$ for such a set. Some of you my say just buy one extra deck and open it up but that would end up being pricey especially for the very rare decks. I would be curious to hear from creators/designers like Adam, 4PM design, Russell and all the others if such an idea is feasible. Would it add to your cost to produce something like that? The 5 or 6 cards could be package in something very simple like a plastic flimsy (referring to baseball cards again) and I find it would be so cool hehe

Anyway enough ranting. Just a fairly new collector thinking out loud

Have a nice evening
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Displaying your card collection

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

I would guess what you're looking for isn't very feasible. In order to create even a 2 Card set of the Ace of Spades and Joker would render the rest of the deck useless. No one's going to purchase an open deck that's also missing a couple key components!

So the cost to the artist would be the same as any full deck. They would need to sell the few card set at the same price as the rest, or more if the set includes a frame.

The workaround would be to print a run with all Jokers, Ace of Spades and whatever other singles would makeup the set. But that would be costly and risky.

Thanks, Randy
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

While I get the idea, I think that there simply aren't enough people with your specific needs to make that work. Most people, as you mentioned, would just spend the few extra dollars to get another deck to open up.

As Randy said, on my end I'd basically "ruin" a deck for every one of those 5-card displays you talk about. With a deck costing perhaps $3 to produce, it would not make smart business sense to take one out of circulation only to sell a few cards from it for $3. I'd much prefer to sell the whole thing for $8-10. What might make more sense is to create a 100% scale art piece of those cards, printed on an 8x10". That could give the same effect, but even that would cost several dollars to have done so in the end it too would probably cost as much (or more) than a deck.

Now for my personal opinion:

I collect decks too, but not opening them (purely in my own opinion) is a crime. There is so much art and tactile involvement to enjoy that leaving everything all sealed up just seems to suck all the interest out of it.I guess if you collect purely to resell down the road, that's one thing, but if you intend to just keep them I think you have to open them up to fully appreciate the craftsmanship. ;)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

Ditto what Paul said about opening Decks! When I first came to this world of Card collecting I was surprised at how many people never even open there Decks. The best part of Playing Cards are the Cards themselves! Tuck Boxes are cool and all but they have nothing on a good back design and face cards. I don't see why collectors who leave Decks unopened don't just spend another $5-$10 to get an extra deck to open and use.

thanks, Randy
badpete69

Paul, Randy thanks for your comments

Randy getting extra decks like you mentioned would have added at least $1000 in the past year as far as cost to me since I buy so much (I have been buying a lot of the decks from previous years) but where as I used to buy only 1 deck of each set early on, I quickly switched to 2 decks so that I could have extras but I have kept those decks sealed. Now I 100% agree with you guys that it is a crime to not open the decks and enjoy everything about them. I really have questions my motives these past weeks in wondering what do I really want to do with these decks in the long run? Am I really collecting just for value? Or should I just open these extra decks I have and really enjoy the hobby. I am an avid poker player after all what the heck am I doing hehehe

By the way as a general question how is the value of a deck affected when the deck is opened up?

I think I made up my mind just after reading these few comments. I have tons of decks to go open up and enjoy as I should have done from day 1
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

Decks that are opened seem to be less desirable and have significantly less value during the resale process. However, not opening the decks deprives you of the joy of seeing and touching all of the cards.

Thanks!
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

BMPokerworld wrote:Decks that are opened seem to be less desirable and have significantly less value during the resale process. However, not opening the decks deprives you of the joy of seeing and touching all of the cards.

Thanks!
That's why I usually collect two of each deck.
You gotta touch & see the cards. ;)

...but man, that is sometimes not cheap. :|
No matter where you go... there you are :|
Fluffykitten

Unread post by Fluffykitten »

i open most of my decks. the only decks i dont open are ones i plan to sell later. if i dont plan to sell them i open no questions.

also really rare decks will still sell if they are opened. i was on ebay looking for some opened but unused or lightly used brimstone or monarch gold as well opened but unused or lightly used jaqks. (if you have for sale feel free to pm me LOL :twisted: :mrgreen: )
badpete69

Well I did it and opened my first deck hehehe :D :D :D . What have I been missing...Even the smell is intoxicating. I decided to use 9 card sleeves to display the entire deck (works good with 52 cards and 2 jokers) The cards will stay pristine has the only handling was to put them in the sleeves and the second deck I have will remain sealed. OOOOO so many decks to go and open
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

Excellent choice! There is so much more fun to be had once you get to see and touch all the cards. Keep only the rarest of the rare sealed up, let the rest be free!

Have fun opening them all. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
UtterFool

Unread post by UtterFool »

The collector in me can not open up every deck I own. That is why the collector in me never buys fewer than 2 decks. I have no intention of selling the majority of my collection/s, however there is something about the pristine sealed box that makes it more appealing for display. I can't even display my signed decks up on the wall because they aren't sealed. Now don't get me wrong I still open at least one of every deck to get the feel, and to play, but on the rare deck that I only have one of ( black ghost, white monarch, etc...) I just can't bring myself to do it.

And as for display, if you want to show the cards, that is what uncut sheets are for.
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
Fluffykitten

badpete69 wrote:Well I did it and opened my first deck hehehe :D :D :D . What have I been missing...Even the smell is intoxicating. I decided to use 9 card sleeves to display the entire deck (works good with 52 cards and 2 jokers) The cards will stay pristine has the only handling was to put them in the sleeves and the second deck I have will remain sealed. OOOOO so many decks to go and open
See? Fun right. I just got my Americana and red jaqks at last. And even though I knew everything about it I had to open it!

I am doing some major shopping this weekend, my laptop went for twice what I thought so that means I get to buy tons of decks.

What deck did you open?
kc62002

Unread post by kc62002 »

i like this idea. Do you recommend any certain sleeves to put the cards in? Will the cards fit snuggly or will it float around with extra room to spare? Please share a pic of a deck you put in the sleeves :) What about the tuck box? maybe open it up and put it on card stock that's paper size then sleeve it?
badpete69

Actually they fit nice and snuggly in there. I am using the Platinum Ultra Pro 9 Pocket pages and so far i like it. I am including 2 example pics from the Carpathia deck and the Grimoire

max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

That's a really huge amount of sleeves in my case. I cannot imagine...

Anyway, I have assumed I am a decks collector more than a cards collector. This idea makes me feel better to face my frustration for this masochist sealed decks collection style.

I was reading this thread trying to find the way you solve the humidity problems. I don't like plastic bags so. Am not sure if the small silica bags are useful and if there is any way to get them in big amounts and not too expensive....
UtterFool

Unread post by UtterFool »

Max

There is a whole line of reusable desiccants
http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-desiccan ... B003NUWSQS

When the color changes on them you just pop them in the oven until they turn back and they are good to go for a while again (couple weeks to a month depending on how humid it is where you live)

And you don't need to store something in a sealed plastic bag to keep the moisture out an good solid box with a desiccant in it would do the trick.
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

thanks for the info!

I Need something "small" to put here and there along the shelves of my wardrobe, as I cannot fit anything thick and I have almost 70 of them so I need hundreds of small bags. Otherwise, I won't be able to absorb the humidity (as far as I understand...).
Fluffykitten

badpete69 wrote:Actually they fit nice and snuggly in there. I am using the Platinum Ultra Pro 9 Pocket pages and so far i like it. I am including 2 example pics from the Carpathia deck and the Grimoire

oh that looks really cool! though i would only do that with a double backer and gaff card!
lumpyliew

Unread post by lumpyliew »

Looks good! But any idea what are you going to do with the rest of capture cards ? Place them in the box ?
Don't Worry , Be Happy Cheers!
badpete69

yes Lumpy, the rest of the capture cards go back in the tuck box and put away with my other unopened decks. If or when I ever decide to sell my cards, at least the decks that are opened will still be in mint condition and basically un-handled except for the few seconds it took me to put them in the sleeves. I have decided not to open all my decks like my short print decks that I have only 1 off or decks that do not really have any custom cards except for the jokers. I really like custom decks like most from Kickstarter since they usually have beautiful art
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

This is how I keep my joker collection. It's great being able to pull out the binder and see them all so easily. The better plastic sleeves are archival as well so they can't damage your cards over the long term. It's also a good way to show someone a deck without letting them handle it if you are selling in person.

(Just to clarify - I do not break up decks to collect jokers. Only decks that are otherwise damaged and/or missing cards will contribute their jokers to my collection.)
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"