A Deck of Cards by Pedale Design - Kickstarter Completed

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Russell

Re: A Deck of Cards by Pedale Design - Live on Kickstarter

Unread post by Russell »

Can you hear that???? It's the sound of everyone and their brother grabbing stock photos and piecing together shitty decks to put on Kickstarter. Ugh, here comes the second wave of shit.

-------------------------------

Back on topic... Wow, congrats on the stellar finish!
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Russell wrote:After? ...currently...
Yes, currently no doubt. But the deserved success of this deck is going to have people throwing decks at Kickstarter like crackheads throwing dope when the police roll up. I guess it all works out in the end as cream rises to the top but the plethora of playing cards on Kickstarter superflous.
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

I'm not sure I agree, there have been plenty of ugly/bad decks that have succeeded.
Strag
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

I do think this deck is an anomaly. If you look at the average per backer (ref my other post in this forum) Pedale falls squarely in the middle of the pick. Clearly the deck appeals to a broader audience, probably those who care for the art (which really wasn't me) and see it as an art piece and not just a deck.

Personally I have concerns about him getting the project done well and it's a shame that the project will have such a high visibility as it's not going to be representative of what the market could or should bear. He's also going to have to go well over 10K decks to fulfill his KS.
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

I have confidence in him as his updates show him taking steps to ensure everything runs smoothly (including planning the shipments with the USPS guys). That and his willingness to change the design of the face cards based upon customer feedback shows he's very interested in customer satisfaction... a nice change from the crap I'm seeing today with the Altruism decks printing nightmare and the Sultan decks double seals... *sigh*

But of course, things can and will go wrong...
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

I do wish him success in finishing the process. I also wish him the wisdom to enlist all the help he can get.

All decks shipped by Dec 18th is a tall order. Doable with enough help, certainly, but a lot of work. I sent out about 1,200 packages all by myself and that was not the easiest thing in the world. It takes planning and dedication for sure. Having to do nearly 4X that amount? YIKES.

I like the deck, and Tyler was able to hit on a design that obviously resonated with lots of people. Making the deck one of the most expensive available also helped his bottom line immensely. Kickstarter has changed a lot in just the 6 months since I did my first deck on there, and it's clearly become a known entity for the card market. What I'm more curious about is if it can live up to its name, and how many of these designers can get away from Kickstarter and be completely independent...
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
MJF

Re: A Deck of Cards by Pedale Design - Kickstarter Completed

Unread post by MJF »

That's one of my eventual goals to do a deck of my own and eventually not have to do programming software anymore... :) I have a long ways to go to get there though and still quite a few things to learn about the process and all the things that can go wrong.
lumpyliew
Collector: Yes

Re: A Deck of Cards by Pedale Design - Kickstarter Completed

Unread post by lumpyliew »

I am glad that I backed this project as I just love the designs . ($35) free shipping for me and I got 2 decks a shirt ... Tyler has also been very responsive on kickstarters ! Waiting for more designs !
Don't Worry , Be Happy Cheers!