Bicycle Tinker now live on Kickstarter

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
CBJ
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Bicycle Tinker now live on Kickstarter

Unread post by CBJ »

I came across this today...
http://tishtoshtesh.wordpress.com/2013/ ... ds-mark-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Preformer19

Re: Bicycle Tinker

Unread post by Preformer19 »

CBJ wrote:you can see a much larger version here:
http://collectableplayingcards.com/images/obred.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Seems as though that is a link to the Oblivion deck.
ejronin

Unread post by ejronin »

Steam punk is getting way overdone... They look nice - a little heavy on the faux stone and "soft" look, and it might just be me - but there are elements that just aren't jiving together. the gears look like they're made of stone and the bevels look too... forced. That's just my opinion though.
"Morals are evidenced by the courage ethics lack" - Me
CBJ

Unread post by CBJ »

Preformer19 wrote:
CBJ wrote:you can see a much larger version here:
http://collectableplayingcards.com/images/obred.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;..
Seems as though that is a link to the Oblivion deck.
Fixed
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
TishToshTesh

Unread post by TishToshTesh »

Thanks for the mention!

Yes, steampunk isn't the hip counterculture non-mainstream darling it once was. I just made these cards because the design aesthetic interested me. These are not a cynically calculated product, they are, the result of, well, tinkering. The textures are all derived from photographs of various rusty metals I found on a photographic excursion to Eureka, UT, and the face cards depict historical key figures from the 19th century. I mentioned the deck a little while ago over thisaway in my introductory post. I've just recently finished the reworking of some of the finer details and the face cards, so it's about ready for prime time, so I figured I'd mention it on my blog.

Of course there are things I wish I'd have more time on, and yes, all the cool kids have moved on, but it's a product I'll offer via Kickstarter, and if it's well-received, great! If not, it'll be available via Print on Demand for those who want to pick it up anyway. It was fun to put together, and if someone else has fun with them as a finished product, that's icing on the cake.

-Tesh
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

I think it has a nice look, I hope you have success
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

This looks promising. . . . . .
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

ejronin wrote:Steam punk is getting way overdone... They look nice - a little heavy on the faux stone and "soft" look, and it might just be me - but there are elements that just aren't jiving together. the gears look like they're made of stone and the bevels look too... forced. That's just my opinion though.
+1 to all of this^
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

This is the same deck that is proposing the metal-facade tuckbox right ? but i agree it feels forced, way too many decks with gears on the back in recent times.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

volantangel wrote:This is the same deck that is proposing the metal-facade tuckbox right ? but i agree it feels forced, way too many decks with gears on the back in recent times.
You mean this one? Nope.
- Tom

Check out my collection

volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

MagikFingerz wrote:
volantangel wrote:This is the same deck that is proposing the metal-facade tuckbox right ? but i agree it feels forced, way too many decks with gears on the back in recent times.
You mean this one? Nope.
Opps my bad, see!! too many decks with gears on them :lol:
TishToshTesh

We've launched the project, if anyone is interested. I know, it's still steampunky (or maybe gearpunky, the terrible stepchild) and oh-so-not-in-vogue, but we like it and are offering it anyway. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tis ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

TishToshTesh wrote:We've launched the project, if anyone is interested. I know, it's still steampunky (or maybe gearpunky, the terrible stepchild) and oh-so-not-in-vogue, but we like it and are offering it anyway. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tis ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And this is why I don't like kickstarter. Even someone with as little faith in a project as this^ can just "do it anyway". Crowdfunding is supposed to realize people's dreams, instead it has become a seemingly risk-free business venture for anyone looking to make a quick buck. It's quite sad.
- Tom

Check out my collection

TishToshTesh

I'm quite fond of the design, and firmly believe it's worth offering. Otherwise I wouldn't have worked on it.

No, the tepid, dismissive reception around here to "too many gears" is the unfortunate part. I can well understand that to the cool kids, steampunk is old and worn (interesting, that), but there are a great many people who still appreciate it, and new people discovering it every day. Perhaps this is the wrong audience around here, indeed, but for anyone so interested, we're doing our best to get the word out.

We'd love to have you all on board, and we've done our best to make the cards appealing. Now they are offered to the public. If you don't like them, ah, well, and we wish you well anyway. That is the blase part of our campaign, the reaction to the naysayers. We're quite happy with the cards, thanks!
Bikefanatic

Re: Bicycle Tinker now live on Kickstarter

You got my pledge on this one. Even though it's Steampunk related, at least that's not the title of the deck. I have two of the Bicycle Steampunk decks because of the shiny gold and silver tucks but I like this because the of the gears and color scheme. I have no other decks with gears on it anyways. This might become one of my favorite decks.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

Brillig

Unread post by Brillig »

I like that people on this forum feel free to speak their minds.

I don't like that so often their minds seem to be so often filled with put-downs and denigration.

For what it's worth, I like this deck, so I'm in, although I'm not sure how many decks I'll be in for at the end.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

Brillig wrote:I like that people on this forum feel free to speak their minds.

I don't like that so often their minds seem to be so often filled with put-downs and denigration.
I get that, but I think it's only a very vocal few. :|
No matter where you go... there you are :|
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Ooh those are pretty cool. Could you show us the court cards please? And also a picture of the Tinker Dice and Gearpunk dice? (I dunno which you are showing on the project page, Tinker I assume?) I never buy dice but these are pretty sweet!
TishToshTesh

Scott over at TuckCase.com has some of the court cards here (I'll get a different preview up on the campaign site when I get a minute):

http://tuckcase.com/2013/08/30/kickstar ... ming-soon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the Tinker Dice campaign page has a fair batch of photos, albeit only of the prototypes.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tis ... metal-dice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the core Tinker die prototpye, though, with a little shot of the Gearpunk D6 from that campaign:
TishToshTesh

We've fully funded, thank you! We're now hoping to get to make the Rusty Tinker Deck, a companion deck with rusted art. Thank you for your interest and support!
Bikefanatic

The Rusty deck looks better to me but I want both of these. I wonder how the Rusty court cards would look.

-Lotrek

CBJ

Unread post by CBJ »

I think if they released that option at the $15K mark, that might push them over 20K
They're already at 494 backers... think of all the people that would add on that extra deck!
CBJ

Bikefanatic

CBJ wrote:I think if they released that option at the $15K mark, that might push them over 20K
They're already at 494 backers... think of all the people that would add on that extra deck!
This make a lot of sense!

-Lotrek

TishToshTesh

We thought about doing the Rusty Deck at a lower goal, but we'd have to pony up some of our own cash up front, and it just wasn't an option. Maybe someday we can get ahead of the curve and afford to "prime the pump", as it were, to do that sort of thing, but not this time.

That said, we're now just over $20K, so we're making the Rusty Tinker Deck, too! Thanks for your interest, guys. We're really happy to be able to offer both designs! The campaign closes tomorrow night, though we'll take some PayPal orders until the 15th.

Oh, and we're previewing the cards over at my blog. No photos, as I don't have a prototype deck printed up, but the images should give some idea of what to expect.
http://tishtoshtesh.wordpress.com/2013/ ... k-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Tesh
Bikefanatic

I'm glad to have one of each of these decks in the future.

-Lotrek

charlie81dbz

Unread post by charlie81dbz »

Just jumped in for 2 of each, Jane Austen won me over. Congrats on meeting your stretch goal!

charlie :)