Bicycle Black Widow now live on Kickstarter

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
CBJ
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Bicycle Black Widow now live on Kickstarter

Unread post by CBJ »

I received a message from Jean LaBelle today about a new deck that he is launching tomorrow (July 3rd) on KS

You can see more on his site: http://www.labellecards.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the other project he had http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php ... it=labelle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that he cancelled because it wasn't going to reach it;s goal

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Magic_Orthodoxy
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: Bicycle Black Widow

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

eh, I like the black spider deck better

Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Yeah, I was gonna say that too, Ortho. And just putting some webs on the courts is probably the laziest customization ever.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
LaBelle

Unread post by LaBelle »

Really? You like the Black Spider 'better' ? Basically, the only thing about the Black Spider is that it is Black.

Magikfingerz... I would like to say that there are great reasons to why my 'customization' of the face cards are what they are... and it is not laziness. It is that I am keeping the traditional faces for their very own beauty and to keep the Bicycle heritage and feel to the deck. The Black Spider ONLY had color changes. That's basically it. And a custom ace... now that deck DID make for a nice presentation of a BLACK Bicycle deck. But, as far as it being very artfully thought out. No.

You are entitled to your opinions. But, let me say that "I" like the Black Widow design. And I love that the face cards are kept to their traditional stature. If all I was to do was to change the colors around - that would have been lazy. But, I put a lot of consideration into what would best compliment the Back design and the stylistic Widow that I created.

Don't support me if you don't like it. But, why must you diliberatly abuse an artist's work. Art is subjective. But, all art is beautiful. What I created is a part of our life and time just as your performance art or any art.

I do not belittle my peers. Nor do I berate their efforts. For I appreciate all that someone does and especially when it's done with great care and devotion, such as I have done.

Then again... there are sadly many in the world with a similar spirit.
Magic_Orthodoxy

Black Spider has recolored faces and cool gaffs, it's not just a black deck

I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

LaBelle wrote:Really? You like the Black Spider 'better' ? Basically, the only thing about the Black Spider is that it is Black.

Magikfingerz... I would like to say that there are great reasons to why my 'customization' of the face cards are what they are... and it is not laziness. It is that I am keeping the traditional faces for their very own beauty and to keep the Bicycle heritage and feel to the deck. The Black Spider ONLY had color changes. That's basically it. And a custom ace... now that deck DID make for a nice presentation of a BLACK Bicycle deck. But, as far as it being very artfully thought out. No.

You are entitled to your opinions. But, let me say that "I" like the Black Widow design. And I love that the face cards are kept to their traditional stature. If all I was to do was to change the colors around - that would have been lazy. But, I put a lot of consideration into what would best compliment the Back design and the stylistic Widow that I created.

Don't support me if you don't like it. But, why must you diliberatly abuse an artist's work. Art is subjective. But, all art is beautiful. What I created is a part of our life and time just as your performance art or any art.

I do not belittle my peers. Nor do I berate their efforts. For I appreciate all that someone does and especially when it's done with great care and devotion, such as I have done.

Then again... there are sadly many in the world with a similar spirit.

I like the back design and the cob webs. The decks that seem to do the best, have complete customization. In that regard, this deck does not meet those standards. Would it be something I would carry on my website? Yes. Most resellers and designers refrain from making negative comments about other peoples design work for obvious reasons. But if you are not one of them, I really don't see anything wrong with someone pointing out what they like or dislike about a deck. If you are going to have your deck exposed to members of an online community, then you have to expect comments will be both negative and positive and you should be prepared for that.

Thanks!
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Agreed with what Mike said. This is a good opportunity for you to get an idea of what collectors like us think about your deck. I don't think Svinger said anything mean spirited towards your deck, just expressed his opinion. I hate to use the word but we are passionate about playing cards here. I bet if you monitor this thread for a bit you will find a number of positive comments about your work. I can say I like your deign and your use of red on the backs.
DelMagic

Unread post by DelMagic »

I like the new Black Widow deck. I like the two-color back - it pops. And being a magician, I don't mind the somewhat standard faces.
Kdklown

Unread post by Kdklown »

Firstly I have no issue with standard faces. Custom courts are great but not necessary on every deck. My only concern is... Isn't the hallmark of the black widow spider the red hourglass design on their backs (see below). That's like the first thing I think of. Why no hourglass?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=black+wi ... =116&ty=72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
charlie81dbz

Unread post by charlie81dbz »

Kdklown wrote:Firstly I have no issue with standard faces. Custom courts are great but not necessary on every deck. My only concern is... Isn't the hallmark of the black widow spider the red hourglass design on their backs (see below). That's like the first thing I think of. Why no hourglass?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=black+wi ... =116&ty=72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;..
I was thinking the same thing, having the hourglass at least on the ace would be much better to me. Also, I prefer this design to the other deck. The courts on the black spider deck kinda hurt my eyes lol.

charlie :)
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

@LaBelle: Honestly, I wouldn't recommend being on this (or any) forum if you get upset that easily. If my comment qualifies as "abuse" to you, you should really learn to deal with negative feedback. What we do here is say what we think about a deck, good or bad, and offer constructive criticism where possible. To me, putting cobwebs on standard court cards is at best equal to recoloring them in terms of effort in the customization.

Sorry for the bluntness, but you don't make a good impression when you come here and get insulted by a few "I like this better" and a "I think this is lazy". Not to mention stating that you like your own deck :roll:
- Tom

Check out my collection

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I like it. It's simple. DEFINITELY need the red hourglass though. I mean come on, that's what makes a black widow different from just another spider. Not a fan of the tuck box though... I would have liked to see a little more Bicycle standard design somehow worked into it.
Ben Taylor

Unread post by Ben Taylor »

Living in black widow territory, I can tell you the hourglass would be on the underside, not the back. But I agree that it would be better if the hourglass is showing.
DragonSoul

Unread post by DragonSoul »

I like themes that are incorporated into the face cards, traditional or not. I don't really see it as a theme if the only spider in the deck is the ace and a joker. But then, I'm new to card collecting and I'm not a magician so I may not be able to appreciate the black spider deck as well as some of you. As for the hourglass, technically it is on the belly of the female black widow, but since it is the iconic identifying mark it really should be on at least the ace. Preferably also, the tuck box and the backs.
Casual Pixels

Unread post by Casual Pixels »

I agree about the hourglass.

I do like the customizations to the courts. The changes are neither superficial nor overboard, and I think a nice balance is being struck. Had it been simply some cobwebs behind the pips, maybe I'd think differently, but the motif is extended to the graphic elements that make up the bodies as well, which is the touch which makes it for me.

I realize the flourish which is added to the number cards is carried over from the previous deck design and I'm a little ambivalent about it here. The design is lovely though I'm not certain that it works perfectly with the other design elements. I also think it might be too heavy handed to make them more weblike, though I'd certainly be interested in seeing something subtle and ornamental for the numbers which was more in keeping with the theme.

Depending on price / shipping I'll definitely consider backing.

Good luck!
LaBelle

Unread post by LaBelle »

@MagicFingerz - I do understand you. And thank you for your observations.

@ Everyone - I simply wished that you could really see the whole deck before jumping to a judgement. The pictures here show only a bit of what the deck holds. As far as the face cards - they are actually more redesigned then merely adding some webbing (although that could be all that would be needed to compliment the back) ... there are many little elements of detail.

Please take a look at the King of Diamonds here - and also here is a pic of the aces...

I tried to make a deck that was overall nice looking, vivid, striking, and a bit special. Is it the greatest deck ever made ??? - absolutely not... and I have never intended it to be. But, I do believe that it might be something at least a bit admirable in the way of a pop art sort of 'spideresque' playing card deck.

I tried to make it something not overdone but that I would appreciate having - and hope that some other people can appreciate it also.

Still, I do thank you for any and all of your opinions. It's just that after my first deck failed, when I had put so much effort into it, it just leaves me a bit disheartened. But, I'll still strive on. ;) ~ Jean
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

I like this deck...I will most likely pledge ....
LaBelle

Unread post by LaBelle »

OH... YES. Allow me to address the issue of the Hour Glass. I thought a lot about that and also worked on adding it - but it is in fact only seen on the bottom of the Widow. It can not actually be seen from above. I would have needed to do a bottom view. I also did try and show a bit of this on the Ace of Spades peaking up from the bottom of the spider... but it seemed to draw too much attention and became a distraction to the whole image which I felt had a more balanced beauty without it.

BUT... This IS something that I have been working with for the Joker! I am working on doing an even more stylistic sort of 'symbol' art style for a Widow on the Joker and I have been thinking of incorporating a red Hour Glass into that design. When I have it presentable - I will show it to you here.~ Jean
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jean, it sounds like you're passionate about your work, which is very good. I wish you the best of luck.

As for the hourglass being on the belly, you could have the spider hanging from a thread (spiderman style) to display its underside.
- Tom

Check out my collection

LaBelle

Unread post by LaBelle »

MagikFingerz ~ I looked at your website: http://www.playingcards.wikidot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it is very obvious that you are very passionate about playing cards yourself. I think that it is great that you have made that site and its resource for playing card enthusiasts. I can certainly see you doing much in the way of growth and expansion for that site. There is no end to where it can go. ~ Jean PS - Your playing card collection is quite vast and I am sure that you have many examples for which to gauge a new design in your eyes.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Red hourglass... or two stylised hearts point to point for a nice joker reveal?
Becky C

Unread post by Becky C »

I like the court detailing. I like that it is custom but you have to be paying attention to see it. I'll be in for 2 decks.
venomatic

Unread post by venomatic »

I'm quite fond of the court cards... gives a Halloween vibe
good chance I'll support :D

not too crazy about the back design though, but just my opinion
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Bicycle Black Widow now live on Kickstarter

Unread post by badpete69 »

Now live...Pledger number 1

Original post updated with pics
LaBelle

Unread post by LaBelle »

I wished to post an update to the community here about some further developments to my Black Widow deck. I am striving to further improve the overall aspect of the deck and its art and will continue to do so. If I can succeed with this project then the best and final works will become the Black Widow deck.

I hadn't yet presented a Joker for the deck on the project yet. I had been working with several different ideas on that card. Some of which would have been a 'symbol' sort of graphic. But, since one of the main features of this deck is the stylized Black Widow figure - and many people have mentioned that the top view angle does not show the red hourglass - I decided to create a similar stylized illustration for the Joker card, and this being a perspective that boldly displays the hourglass. Also, it has the same sort of look and stylized art style as the other Widow image.

I think that it makes for an interesting Joker card - I then further decided that I would include in the deck and additional Joker card with a special added twist to its image. The card could then be used in many imaginative presentational ways. ;-)

I hope that some of you do appreciate what I am trying to do and accomplish. I truly do love card arts - and I know that mine are not the best, but they are diligent efforts on my part. And I think that they will make some decently admirable card arts.

Let me know what you think of the jokers and their counterpart:

Thanks ~ Jean
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

That looks great! Only thing I would get rid of is the squiggly lines below the "JOKER" indices, they just seem unnecessary.
- Tom

Check out my collection

CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

I agree, the lines are not needed

:)
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Magic_Orthodoxy

those ARE cool
Becky C

Unread post by Becky C »

+1 on the lines being unnecessary, otherwise I like them.
ejronin

Unread post by ejronin »

LaBelle,

I like the colored pencil vibrance of the backs, and I rather like the concept of your work. I can see that you put some thought into how the deck is to be presented. What I'm not entirely clear on is the choice of execution in your design elements, as to me they seem to conflict. the variance in line thickness and detail from the spider (the key element) and the court cards. If this deck is designed as a novelty deck, fair. If it's an art deck or deck that highlights an artistic or creative ability and process, I'm afraid it's lost (on me). Would it be something I could see a magician using? I don't think I can envision that because of how easily it is to make out card orientation. Would it make a nice flourish pattern? That's something else I can seem to visualize very well.

Again, if the objective is a to create an artistically expressive novelty deck that shows nuanced variation to the standard courts by way of subtle alteration - your color choices and simple design elements support the execution very nicely, but beyond that, and as a new collector, I have a difficult time understanding the appeal to add one to my collection would be. I guess, it's not so different that I could showcase it and explain a deeper meaningful design.

Full disclosure, I have my eyes (and hopefully hands) on decks with elegant and simple designs - other desks I am eyeing and backing are complex and intricate designs evidencing very careful execution with a basis of well researched concepts. Speaking only for myself, I ask of myself when choosing a deck to add to my collection three very simple questions:

Does this deck have a good use of color in context to the concept?
Did this artist execute the concept in a way that it is easily understood (i.e. what is their approach to the challenge).
Is this deck something that had careful thought and planning, or was it done for the sake of doing it - what is the intent of the deck?

If these questions don't have immediate and inherent answer, I hold a reservation but will afford the artist fairness in asking questions before judging and research their previous work and the art style shown. Do you have other work? I'm just curious.

EDIT:

I agree with the previous comments. The line embellishments under the indices come off as "what can I add to make it appear substantive design." I've learned (the hard way) that the idea of "less is more" is very true in design. Now, I look at what can be removed without diminishing the design before I call it "done;" When I operated under the opposite mode of thought, it was a jumbled mess of "hey look what I can do." Cards a simple in nature - keep is simple, not plain, but simple.
"Morals are evidenced by the courage ethics lack" - Me