Angry God Of Wealth playing cards by Eric Duan - coming soon

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
CBJ
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Angry God Of Wealth playing cards by Eric Duan - coming soon

Unread post by CBJ »

Another deck is on the way from Eric Duan

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
vmagic

Re: Angry God Of Wealth playing cards by Eric Duan - coming

Unread post by vmagic »

Darn beat me to it, I was just about to post this! Looks pretty interesting at the very least like most of his decks. Still waiting for his other 2 decks, White Tiger and Green Dragon if I recall correctly.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

Ooo! Even if it's a black deck, I like the design elements I'm seeing.
Hope it's fully custom 8-)
No matter where you go... there you are :|
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

lol guys, its God of Wealth, not war..

Also thats why the design on the back is modeled after traditional chinese coins used in the past.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

volantangel wrote:lol guys, its God of Wealth, not war..

Also thats why the design on the back is modeled after traditional chinese coins used in the past.
I was about to comment on the possible copyright issues with the God of War game franchise :lol:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I love just about everyone one of Eric's decks. But I really wish he didn't go away from the Bicycle logo! I really hope it's not for financial reasons either. His work speaks for itself and I'm sure people would pay the money for a Bicycle branded deck. Either way, this is a must have for me.
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

Need to see some more of this deck. Custom Courts?
Keep it Sizzlin'!
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

th4mo wrote:Need to see some more of this deck. Custom Courts?

th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

Thanks Big Mike! :D

my interest is piqued...
Keep it Sizzlin'!
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

Give us a big ole heads up when you get these, Mike!
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

volantangel wrote:lol guys, its God of Wealth, not war..
Can we change the heading?
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

All headers updated
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

But if he's not all about war... why is he still angry?
No matter where you go... there you are :|
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Sharpie wrote:But if he's not all about war... why is he still angry?
Maybe someone stole his wealth?

No wait, then he'd just be an angry god.

High taxes?
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

I guess these are out... ( picture via Kete Moon )

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

I'm a fan of some of Eric Duan's work, I just wish he had a more consistent style I could get on board with. I'll buy this out of love for his previous decks, not out of want :)
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

rhu wrote:I'm a fan of some of Eric Duan's work, I just wish he had a more consistent style I could get on board with. I'll buy this out of love for his previous decks, not out of want :)
Why should he strive for consistency if people will buy the deck regardless? I'm not saying this deck is weak, in fact I kinda like it. But that mentality could drive artists into conformity. Emphasis on COULD. The big dogs like Jackson, Randy and Paul always strive to go bigger and better with each new project.

But:
"I don't like their latest design. But it's Paul, Randy, Jackson, Eric, Bicycle so I have to buy it!" That way of thinking just makes me uncomfortable. Perhaps because I don't have an unlimited budget or deeper pockets I'm forced to be more critical on my purchases.

Don't mean to pick on you. You just happen to be the latest instance. :)
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Very well said Eoghann. You should buy what you like, not because someone made it. It'll be a deck I don't like but their next one could be great. Will I go back and buy the previous deck I didn't like? No. Why buy a deck you're really not thrilled about when that money could been used for a deck you really like?
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Eoghann wrote:
rhu wrote:I'm a fan of some of Eric Duan's work, I just wish he had a more consistent style I could get on board with. I'll buy this out of love for his previous decks, not out of want :)
Why should he strive for consistency if people will buy the deck regardless? I'm not saying this deck is weak, in fact I kinda like it. But that mentality could drive artists into conformity. Emphasis on COULD. The big dogs like Jackson, Randy and Paul always strive to go bigger and better with each new project.
If I see a new Banksy then I know it's a Banksy. If I see a new Eric Duan, I have to read the artists name to see who created it. I'm not looking for consistent artwork, and certainly not conformity. I just feel that he's continually experimenting rather than refining and improving a single style to call his own.

In answer to your question though, I will buy this deck because I want to help fund his next creation. A few dollars to see the next pirates/kite&puppet is a small price to pay. I'm not in the habit of boycotting an artist because they don't create every deck to my personal specification, I'm a collector so I will continue to complete my Eric Duan collection for as long as I care for the work he produces.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

You collect Eric Duan. Pretty much answers everything.

But to ask for an artist to stop experimenting and stick with a signature style is just backwards. An artist has to experiment in order to innovate and grow. Sure one style might have given him success and resonated with you and other crowds, but an artist by nature is destined to experiment, fail, learn and evolve if he's meant to survive and make a name for himself.

Take Uusi for example. If there were no indication that Uusi had created Blue Bloods, Bohemia and Royal Optik; I'd have a hard time placing them. Each deck is a unique success on their own. The main reason they're doing a second take on Blue Bloods was due to its massive success and demand. It's a lucrative and beautiful design. My point is, had Blue Bloods not have been such a success, they'd be experimenting with other ideas by now.

If any artist stuck to a single idea, either the public or the artist himself would grow weary of it, spelling failure for everyone. But who am I to say if one idea will be forever successful or not. Just look at all the Calls of Duty and Halos we have. :)
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Eoghann wrote:But to ask for an artist to stop experimenting and stick with a signature style is just backwards. An artist has to experiment in order to innovate and grow. Sure one style might have given him success and resonated with you and other crowds, but an artist by nature is destined to experiment, fail, learn and evolve if he's meant to survive and make a name for himself.
You seem to be missing my point, or perhaps I'm failing to articulate it clearly. I certainly don't believe that every experiment should be shouted, packaged and thrown onto a store shelf. Saying that, I think any collection would be very sad and biased if it didn't include an artists failures. I think we too often fixate on the success stories and ignore the far more in-depth and interesting times when projects have not had a fairy tale ending.
Eoghann wrote:Take Uusi for example. If there were no indication that Uusi had created Blue Bloods, Bohemia and Royal Optik; I'd have a hard time placing them. Each deck is a unique success on their own. The main reason they're doing a second take on Blue Bloods was due to its massive success and demand. It's a lucrative and beautiful design. My point is, had Blue Bloods not have been such a success, they'd be experimenting with other ideas by now.
I think this is a good example. While I will agree at first glance there are no distinctive similarities between the decks I would argue that there is a clear "experiment, fail, learn and evolve" process being followed. The story line between pieces of work is very clearly evident (partly helped by the very public design/release process they use, though!).
Eoghann wrote:If any artist stuck to a single idea, either the public or the artist himself would grow weary of it, spelling failure for everyone. But who am I to say if one idea will be forever successful or not. Just look at all the Calls of Duty and Halos we have. :)
I would hate to see any artist stuck to a single idea, but I certainly don't think an artist is limited because they've grown to have a distinctive and identifiable brush stroke. Just to be clear, I'm not looking for Red/Pink/Blue/Yellow/Tan/Foil/v2/v3/v4/v5 Pirates to be released :) Although I am looking forward to CoD 37.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I get you're point. It's just that I'm more critical about it. I can't just buy every deck from Jackson, Uusi or Encarded just because of who they are. Bad ideas aren't supposed to be lucrative. Unless you count reality tv.

If the art or product resonates with me, I will go out of my way in stretching my budget. If it doesn't, why should I? So I can clutter my house with stuff I don't like? I prefer a lean collection. Quality over quantity. I don't own thousands of decks, but I love every single one.

It's true that it hurts when someone goes out of their comfort zone with a fresh idea just to see it fail. But that's the point where someone has the choice to take that defeat as a lesson learned and evolve or retreat back to the comfort zone.

They lost me after Black Ops. :)
crazyfandecks

Unread post by crazyfandecks »

this deck already gone out, now on the way to Singapore, but the artist name was Nanswer, dont know why http://www.magiccastle.com.sg/index.php ... 1&Itemid=1
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

you can get it here for $9

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S15930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

crazyfandecks wrote:this deck already gone out, now on the way to Singapore, but the artist name was Nanswer, dont know why http://www.magiccastle.com.sg/index.php ... 1&Itemid=1
What ?!? The prices from magiccastle are getting ridiculous, I would have loved to pick up one of these, but not at that price
Firthetic

Unread post by Firthetic »

volantangel wrote:
crazyfandecks wrote:this deck already gone out, now on the way to Singapore, but the artist name was Nanswer, dont know why http://www.magiccastle.com.sg/index.php ... 1&Itemid=1
What ?!? The prices from magiccastle are getting ridiculous, I would have loved to pick up one of these, but not at that price
Exactly! I saw the link and thought, "Oh sweet! I can get them locally and not have to pay crazy shipping fees!". Then I saw $18... Guess it's vPOst to the rescue again.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

It's not quite that bad - on the Magiccastle site its SGD$18 which is US$14.40. Still not cheap though.