New Lance Miller Mysterious Deck

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
vmagic

New Lance Miller Mysterious Deck

Unread post by vmagic »

Lance Millers new deck is now available on the Fallen Cards Kickstarter, i'm starting to think neither part of this project is going to be successful as they need to raise over $35,000 in just 8 days. The deck is selling for $35 each, $55 for the signed decks. I know they are supposed to be rare but the price is still high. This and the Fed 52 Kickstarter are starting to set new precedents for rare decks by pricing them high right from the start and i'm not sure that is such a good idea.

Anyway here is a teaser video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... j5_eiYtq7A

Kickstarter - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/118 ... e-magician

Should be noted that they are in "discussions" with Dan & Dave to have them distribute it in their "high quality standard of card stock", in my opinion after handling all of Dan & Dave's most recent releases, I think that would be a mistake, their quality has been terrible for the last year for the most part.
BMPokerworld

Re: New Lance Miller Mysterious Deck

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

And how long is everyone going to wait for the deck? It says he is just designing the deck now. Why doesn't he actually finish the deck first because his campaigns take forever to be fulfilled.

Thanks!
vmagic

Unread post by vmagic »

BMPokerworld wrote:And how long is everyone going to wait for the deck? It says he is just designing the deck now. Why doesn't he actually finish the deck first because his campaigns take forever to be fulfilled.

Thanks!
So true, doesn't look like it will matter anyway at this rate.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

BMPokerworld wrote:And how long is everyone going to wait for the deck? It says he is just designing the deck now. Why doesn't he actually finish the deck first because his campaigns take forever to be fulfilled.

Thanks!
Well, technically this isn't HIS campaign. But I agree that something as time-consuming as designing and producing a deck should not be started and added to a campaign during its course.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

MagikFingerz wrote:

Thanks!
Well, technically this isn't HIS campaign. But I agree that something as time-consuming as designing and producing a deck should not be started and added to a campaign during its course.

If he is just starting now, you are probably at best, 6 to 8 months out. He is very meticulous about his designs. I am not saying that is a bad thing, just that he should do it on his time and money and not his backers.

Thanks!
vmagic

Unread post by vmagic »

Well technically they aren't "his" backers, they are backers of Fallen Cards and apparently they are being designed as props for their film and so there aren't very many apparently. Not even sure if you can get more than one if you wanted to.

EDIT - I contacted the project creators in regards to some stuff including the lack of funding on the project, this was their response:

"In regards to your question about the funding of the project we are working closely with individuals who we can't disclose who will cap the rest of our funds if we can reach 20,000. We are fairly confident we will receive the funds to shoot. The reason I chose to go with kickstarter was so that I could give back to the community rather than go directly to the private source and with our relationships within Paramount. Because of the nature of the project, the DVD will be a collectors items. Additionally networks wanted my idea but didn't quite see exactly what I wanted to do. So this project is the visual representation for them to see the full scope of this story. Generally a video made as a pitch pilot to networks is never seen by the public. I plan to change that with this project.

Hope that answers your questions and feel free to ask any more and I will try to answer them in a timely manner.

Best

Rich Manley
Creator Fallen Cards"

Is that even allowed??? To have someone come in with $15,000 if there isn't enough funding? I bet Kickstarter will shut them down!!
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

What the hec even happened to Lance. He at one time was a regular at the old UC. I really like the decks he has put out but if he plans to start producing while ignoring those of us that encouraged and backed him last time I will not invest a dime in his new projects. Don't get me wrong, Lance is a good guy and I always enjoyed our banter but I don't care for his about face. Having said that I do wish him success.
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

I hear the decks have a Sumerian influence....Reminds me of Sir Robert in "FLAMING STAR - THE STORY OF ONE MAN'S SEARCH FOR VENGEANCE IN THE RAW AND VIOLENT WORLD OF INTERNATIONAL ARCHAEOLOGY":

"I'm happy too, now at last we know there was a Sumerian influence here in Abu Simnel in the early pre-dynastic period, two thousand years before the reign of Tutankhamun..."

Time to sing!

"Today I hear the robin sing
Today the thrush is on the wing
Today who knows what life will bring."

(reference here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET5bGIFDmo0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

vmagic wrote:Is that even allowed??? To have someone come in with $15,000 if there isn't enough funding? I bet Kickstarter will shut them down!!
It does sound at least a little unusual, but they could easily add a $15,000 pledge level 10 minutes before project close, and get whomever to back it..... (And hence give ~$1500 to KS/Amazon :-))

The bigger question is whether they can even get to the $20k. With 11.5k of that to get in 10 days...
vmagic

Unread post by vmagic »

Well they have $5000 and $10000 pledge levels and actually they can't do a $15000 pledge level, $10,000 is the max allowed I believe. Apparently this person is ready to back, but they haven't yet, why not? Seems to me they are waiting until the very end to just mysteriously save the project last minute. They should pledge now. I think Kickstarter will find it very suspicious if there are some sudden last minute large pledges and will shut them down!
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Does the actual levels have anything to do with it? I was under the impression that anyone could pledge as much as they want at any reward level.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
vmagic

Unread post by vmagic »

I guess you could, if you have the credit limit and the money. In the end if they do have the money and do want to back then project then they should step forward and do so now, not just jump in at the last minute to make sure it is successful, that just makes it seem to me like they are involved somehow or will be involved and that is not allowed by Kickstarters terms.