Bicycle - Canada edition... eh?

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
CBJ
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Bicycle - Canada edition... eh?

Unread post by CBJ »

Someone on my Facebook profile sent me this obviously photoshopped picture... But I have to be honest, I'd love to see some kind of Canadian themed Bicycle deck. Beavers, Mounties, Moose... how can you go wrong?

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
DukeBoy
Decks Owned: 100

Re: Bicycle - Canada edition... eh?

Unread post by DukeBoy »

Beavers and Meese sound good to me.
10-4 over and out
Twix

Unread post by Twix »

I'd like to see someone make a Canadian currency deck similar to Jackson's currency deck. Canadian money is so much nicer looking than it's US counterpart and would make a beautiful deck.
Casual Pixels
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Casual Pixels »

Twix wrote:I'd like to see someone make a Canadian currency deck similar to Jackson's currency deck. Canadian money is so much nicer looking than it's US counterpart and would make a beautiful deck.
Thing is, if anyone did a currency deck other than Jackson, it would rightly be seen as a knockoff of something be both pioneered and mastered in one swoop.

And that leads to the other thing that if someone else did it, it would very likely suffer from the obvious comparison to his.

So.

Jackson.

Is it too early to discuss what happens after the Part 2 decks? :-)
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

To quote one of my favorite movies, "I'd buy that for a dollar!" Or a few bucks as the case may be. I think Jackson could cut out a very nice niche for himself doing takes on various currencies. Euros are quite interesting as are British Pounds and Aussie Dollars.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
samurai007

Unread post by samurai007 »

Are the Jokers going to be Bob & Doug McKenzie?
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

chach wrote:To quote one of my favorite movies, "I'd buy that for a dollar!" Or a few bucks as the case may be. I think Jackson could cut out a very nice niche for himself doing takes on various currencies. Euros are quite interesting as are British Pounds and Aussie Dollars.
I completely agree.
No matter where you go... there you are :|
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

What is all this talk a-boot other currency? Canadian money looks like Monopoly money (says bias American). ;)
Paul Middleton
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Paul Middleton »

chach wrote:To quote one of my favorite movies, "I'd buy that for a dollar!" Or a few bucks as the case may be. I think Jackson could cut out a very nice niche for himself doing takes on various currencies. Euros are quite interesting as are British Pounds and Aussie Dollars.
Maybe he's already got plans for that! Euros and Pounds would definitely be interesting.. there's a lot of history in the GBP notes.
www.JPGAMESltd.co.uk
----------------------------------------------
EXCLUSIVE OFFERS FOR UC MEMBERS
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

There's also history in playing cards as money. This is a little long...:

New France comprised most of what is now eastern Canada and the eastern United States. The Gulf of Mexico was the southern border of New France. However, as a result of the disastrous economic policies of the French government, of which the playing card money was a part (as well as a symptom of), all of this territory was lost by the French.

1. Scarcity of coins in the French colony.
The king of France (I believe this would be Louis XIV) sent a Governor who administered the colony using civil servants and soldiers. Trade within the community was limited by the scarcity of a means of exchange, specifically coins. Originally trappers used hides as money, but colonists came from France carrying the coins of their country. The problem was that, as in other colonies, metallic coins had a tendency to either leave the colony as payment for manufactured products from France, or, they were hoarded and hidden away as too valuable to pay for goods with. Thus coins sent to the colony at great expense left by the same boat they came on, or simply disappeared. They tried many different ways to keep the coins in circulation, but nothing worked.

2. The Governor finds a solution.
In 1685 the annual boat that brought goods and coin was due to arrive in the summer but did not reach the colony until January. The coins were needed to pay the troops and that left the soldiers without pay for 8 months! The Governor, having tried everything possible (like feeding the soldiers on credit, letting them work for peasants...) decided to requisition all decks of playing cards in the colony. He then had each card cut in quarters, wrote a monetary value on each quarter of card, then signed and stamped them. Then he let it be known that these cards had to be accepted for payment of anything for sale in the colony, without any rise in prices. The soldiers were paid with these cards and the merchants accepted them as payment. When the boat finally arrived, each and every card was exchanged at par with the coins of France. All the cards were destroyed after the conversion to coin, and life returned to normal.

3. It worked so well the first time...
The Governor used this trick every year, issuing more and more cards each time, but did so against the strong disapproval of the king. Sometimes paper was now used instead of playing cards, which had become harder to find, and there were ongoing losses to hoarding and purchases of goods from France. Around 1706 the exchange of cards for coins was already random, the king being less generous with this colony that brought him so little in return. Since the cards were no longer dependable they were eventually exchanged at a third of their original value if merchants would take them at all. By 1713 inflation was at 400%. After several unsuccessful attempts to convert the outstanding cards to real value, the Governor reduced the number of cards being issued and the colony began to suffocate from a lack of money for exchanging goods and services. People tried to cope with credit, IOUs and trade. Money was so badly needed that in 1729 merchants sent a petition to the king to reintroduce the playing card money. He accepted and the cycle began again, leading to strong inflation and a loss of trust in paper money (especially in 1755 during the 7 years war against the English). Peasants refused to sell their goods for anything other than metallic coins and shopkeepers raised their prices every week. Coins still disappeared as people hid them from the government which was requisitioning them (taking them back) for it's own uses. The playing card money was over.

*This is very simplified. For more information you can go to:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Jacques-de-Meul ... Card-Money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Isn't a English queen on the Canadian twenty spot. Don't they celebrate Arctic research on one of their bills. Sounds like Canada is stretching for an identity. Perhaps playing cards would put them on the map. Basically, copying Canadian money would be copying a copy, nights as well copy UK money and take care of both.