Elements Deck

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Russell

Elements Deck

Unread post by Russell »

I'll just leave this here.....

Adam

Re: Bicycle Elements on Kickstarter

Unread post by Adam »

WOW another Kickstarter deck of cards! There are ten other decks of cards funding right now let's go ahead and add some more! :lol:
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

So many kickstarter decks! THese look alright but they need work IMO.
silver

Unread post by silver »

Evan wrote:So many kickstarter decks! THese look alright but they need work IMO.
Fair enough. If nothing else, this deck is a tribute to the "I don't know anything about design". I had marginal experience in Illustrator when I started this, and zero in Photoshop. I just decided to do them anyway. But let me know what you think needs work. If I don't get feedback, it's harder to get better.

Anyway, as you might imagine, the deck has a classical elements theme based on earth, air, fire, and water. It's a fairly bright deck of cards, as opposed to most things you see either at E, T11, etc or even on Kickstarter.

Also, I've been talking with Jamie Grant and Joe Porper himself to help put together some pretty cool custom rewards for the project. That means 'Anything is Possible' bottles and one-of-a-kind card clips, on top of the usual batches of decks and uncut sheets. I'll also be making Invisible Decks for those interested.

If you guys are interested, you can check out the page here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/592 ... kson-dolan
UtterFool

Re: Elements Deck on Kickstarter

Unread post by UtterFool »

I like the pips that is about all I can say.

The pastels for the back design do not work IMO. It appears to washed out and the purple/pink (I know there is a name for that color, it just eludes me) in the center clashes with the rest of the back design.
The intricate custom pips do not seem to fit with the simplistic artwork. I feel that if the art work is going to lack detail as in this deck you need a matching pip. It feels like these pips were for another deck and just had the face cards pasted over the old.

Sorry to say, with so many decks up on kickstarter right now, I can't say that I would back this one no matter what extras are added.
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
CBJ
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

I'm not a fan of any part of this deck.

I'll be passing
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Adam

Unread post by Adam »

$22,000 (~125% funding) -- I'll be able to ensure we get a Q1 print process. It means extra quality control on the cards, making for happier backers.
Shouldn't this be standard on a deck that wants to raise $17,500??? not a stretch goal?
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Shouldn't Q1 be standard for any designer?
silver

Unread post by silver »

Adam wrote:
$22,000 (~125% funding) -- I'll be able to ensure we get a Q1 print process. It means extra quality control on the cards, making for happier backers.
Shouldn't this be standard on a deck that wants to raise $17,500??? not a stretch goal?
With the numbers I was running, it would be almost an assurance. But depending on the backing breakdown, it might not be.

My thought was to put the goals above what I think I'll need, which leaves it open for pleasant surprises if the goals are missed and I can still do it. And from what the USPCC rep told me, Q1 just means having an extra quality control person on the floor. It doesn't affect the actual printing process.
Strag
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Just curious but shouldn't you have gotten design feedback BEFORE posting it on KS? Personally I don't like the deck at all, with the possible exception of the pip design (and even those don't seem to go with the deck properly). I won't be backing.
decksparadise

Unread post by decksparadise »

The pips looks good, the court cards looks okay, the back doesn't look so good though. That's all i gotta say. But still, i like the idea of elements incoporated into this deck. 8-)
Simplicity is beautiful.