Bulldog Squeezers origins

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
dazzleguts
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Bulldog Squeezers origins

Unread post by dazzleguts »

I originally posted this to UC.net on Apr 01, 2012. I have altered the original posting for clarity and the addition of new info.

The origins of Bulldog Squeezers

This deck was originally printed by the New York Consolidated Card Company in 1877. Prior to the 1870s most playing cards did not have any indicators in their corners. In the 1870s the NYCC Co. placed the suit indicator and the value indicator in the upper left and lower right corners on their playing cards. These early indexed cards were first known as "Squeezers" because they allowed a card player to squeeze his cards closer together. The NYCCC's indexed cards were challenged by Andrew Dougherty and Co. who produced packs with miniature card faces in two corners and called them "Triplicates". After a period of intense competition between the two companies "a tacit understanding about sales territory" was commemorated in a card back showing two bulldogs straining at their leashes in front of their respective houses. On the collar of one is 'Squeezer', and on the other 'Trip'.
(information from Catherine Perry Hargrave and other sources)
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
law_kid

Re: Bulldog Squeezers origins

Unread post by law_kid »

I am always amused by this story- producing a back solely to celebrate a flagrant antitrust violation. :shock:
dazzleguts

Yeah, it's an odd one all right. Not that many backs have any kind of story behind them. It would be interesting to see all the ones that do in one place, perhaps in this thread. Do you know any others law_kid?
Worldwide Time Machine

alric
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by alric »

This is very interesting. I always wondered why the dogs had their respective names, and now I know! The Bulldog Squeezers are one of the best fanning decks I have, its just too bad about the one way back design, but now that I know the history behind the design, its OK.
dazzleguts

I've always had a soft spot for this one. You don't see very many malevolent looking back designs and that moon is nasty!

I've been looking through my collection and I haven't come across any more back designs with stories.(that I know of)
Worldwide Time Machine