The Identity Deck by Phil Smith // now on KICKSTARTER

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

The Identity Deck by Phil Smith // now on KICKSTARTER

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

With twenty years of graphic design and creative problem solving under his belt, designer, writer and magic inventor Phill Smith is perhaps best known for his work with Drummond Money-Coutts on the industry standard DMC ELITES playing cards.

The incredible Identity deck - each playing card in the deck has on its face a different personality archetype, a different iconic image, and a different background. The deck is rich with meaning, and perfect for combining visual magic with quick punchy personality readings.

The royals have as their faces the twelve signs of the zodiac, and the two jokers represent duality, being marked with up and down, yes and no, ying and yang. These layers of meaning allow you to explore the more esoteric metaphysical approach to magic in your performances, and to help you create miracles we have built the deck with a whole load of magical helpers.

The deck is marked with a unique Constellation reader system. The cards can be quickly and easily identified from a distance, at a glance, meaning you can always stay one step ahead of the situation. The system requires no decoding or working out - if you can see the card back you instantly know the card - but it’s hidden in such a way that spectators will never spot it.

The deck arrives pre-arranged into a Identity Stack - a powerful easy-to-use stacked deck system that is based on Lewis Jones’ famous memory deck. To help make the system even easier the backs are also marked with the numerical position of each card in the Identity Stack, meaning you can always quickly get the deck into stack.

In the age of audiences Googling tricks the moment they see them, Phil wanted to add a layer of insulation to the Identity deck, and although the original prototypes were boxed as Identity deck, you can see from these photos that the production deck has a different name on the tuck box, one that won’t even mention here to stop it from being Googleable.

To this end they are having them printed by USPCC in the USA, on their premium stock, with the world-leading USPCC linen finish

Back it today: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ph ... nal-magic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/
theCapraAegagrus

Re: The Identity Deck by Phil Smith // now on KICKSTARTER

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

:|
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
scottbre

Unread post by scottbre »

It's pretty clear from the backs that this deck is marked. But man, the front of the cards are not cohesive at all. Pass.
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/19990/collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I'm no magician, so maybe I'm not the target audience anyways but I don't know what I would have to do with a deck like that. The campaign is full of hard hitting magic, but no trailer that shows what to do with that deck that is so ground breaking opposing to a normal deck of cards. Constellation reader back? New? Orbit may have a word here, lol. Not that it is a genuine original idea anyways.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Azazaaz
White Whale: CERN
Decks Owned: 900

Unread post by Azazaaz »

It reminds me of the work done by Matteo Filippini's who has made some KS projects with that same approach on tarot / divination / oracle, etc... I have some of his decks and they're usable if you're into that sort of things. I don't see any collector jumping on these as it's a little too out-there.
Alex
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

I don't know. As a writer, I could see having one of these lying around to occasionally help with brainstorming a character or the like, but not for $27 shipped. (And, that's the early bird price.)
This space intentionally left blank.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Azazaaz wrote:...same approach on tarot / divination / oracle, etc...
Agreed, there's a whole niche out there for this sort of thing... but the marking system seems totally tacked on and doesn't really mesh :?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Well, at least that deck is a specifically Magician designed deck with non-standard courts! Better than so many others using standard USPCC courts and use the magician deck as the reason for not even doing a color tweak.

I like that they thought to change the name so that the trick remains a secret and doesn't get spoiled by anyone googling the trick.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

what I have found from Phil Smith's other marked decks - is that oddly enough the camera makes the markings obvious, but in "real life" they are not that pronounced. I have no idea .. someone will probably chime in that it's "science" and I'll nod my head and agree, but secretly have no idea if they're right or not
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/
OVSUB
White Whale: Someone to love
Decks Owned: 51

Unread post by OVSUB »

:x [MURRAY]
Life is fickle...
We live to die or rather we are dying to live.