Wild West playing cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Wanderer
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Wild West playing cards

Unread post by Wanderer »

A new project from the SPCC. A nice gift for collectors of playing cards. At the end of February on Kickstarter. In honor Wild West pioneers.https://youtu.be/xDnvaZQ2mus

Wanderer

Re: Wild West playing cards

Wanderer

Playing cards are a work of art. Do you buy a painting similar to others? SPCC works for true fans of playing cards. Soon the project "Wild West".

Wanderer

jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

Jamm Pakd Cards already did this not too long ago, seems like a carbon copy to me.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

I'm confused by the current presentation of 2 pip sets... That diamond pip on the Native American court is something that would make these unplayable for me, and therefor noncollectable for me.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:That diamond pip on the Native American court is something that would make these unplayable for me, and therefor noncollectable for me.
These don't grab my fancy either, but I'm curious: what's wrong with the diamond pip specifically?

Something about the quality of the art is bugging me and I can't quite articulate what it is. I think it's that the combination of the flat colors with the rough pencils just makes these look like doodles in somebody's fifth-period notebook rather than final, polished artwork. It left the video (which would have felt overhyped and extra under the best of circumstances) feeling like a cheap attempt to gloss over the quality of the cards themselves - selling the sizzle, not the steak.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I like steak? Mm, steak.
theCapraAegagrus

Merlebird wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:That diamond pip on the Native American court is something that would make these unplayable for me, and therefor noncollectable for me.
These don't grab my fancy either, but I'm curious: what's wrong with the diamond pip specifically?

Something about the quality of the art is bugging me and I can't quite articulate what it is. I think it's that the combination of the flat colors with the rough pencils just makes these look like doodles in somebody's fifth-period notebook rather than final, polished artwork. It left the video (which would have felt overhyped and extra under the best of circumstances) feeling like a cheap attempt to gloss over the quality of the cards themselves - selling the sizzle, not the steak.

It doesn't look like a diamond. At least the other shapes, while also different, resemble the likeness of spades, clubs, and hearts.

If you're a man*, and order anything cooked longer than medium, please let me know where you live so I can slap you in the face with a very large uncooked steak!

*(This isn't a gender bias. While men are encouraged to order and consume meat cooked 'medium' or shorter, most studies suggest that it's better for a woman's digestive system to order and consume meat that is cooked 'medium' or longer, despite the fact that a medium-rare steak is so much more delicious.)
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:If you're a man*, and order anything cooked longer than medium, please let me know where you live so I can slap you in the face with a very large uncooked steak!
I'm a man and I eat my steaks well done with ketchup. My address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC. As my buddy Vlad says, come at me, bro.

Ahem. In any event, it looks like a diamond to me, but I am willing to accept that 10(?! good lord) years of on-and-off Japanese language study has left me willing to grade parallelograms on a very generous curve. Granted that disclaimer, the custom pips actually feel like one of the more successful components going here. In all honesty I still might not buy these even if the art were better - I'm not a huge fan of the "Cowboys and Indians" trope for a few reasons - but the shaky, unfinished feel to the illustrations makes it an easy pass for me.
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Merlebird wrote:I'm a man and I eat my steaks well done with ketchup.
Man, some cows have died in vain for you. If you go to Ruth's Chris or many other fine steakhouses, they'll actually refuse to cook their steaks well done.

If these decks came out 2-3 years ago, people would've loved them: limited, fully custom, novel and coherent theme, and blinged out tuck box. But in this day and age, the theme has already been played out multiple times and a decent deck like this struggles to stand out. This is actually a good thing.
theCapraAegagrus

sinjin7 wrote:
Man, some cows have died in vain for you. If you go to Ruth's Chris or many other fine steakhouses, they'll actually refuse to cook their steaks well done.

If these decks came out 2-3 years ago, people would've loved them: limited, fully custom, novel and coherent theme, and blinged out tuck box. But in this day and age, the theme has already been played out multiple times and a decent deck like this struggles to stand out. This is actually a good thing.
It was a political joke. Mr. President eats medium-well steaks with ketchup... Not setting a good example there...
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Yeah this isn't a bad deck in any way, it's actually pretty good design. To me however, pretty good without the wow factor rarely cuts it anymore.

I do hope that you get funded, but I just can't justify of buying this one, with all the amazing stuff that is coming out all the time.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Wanderer

jerichoholic wrote:Jamm Pakd Cards already did this not too long ago, seems like a carbon copy to me.

You consider this a copy? I laugh, probably you are right)))

Wanderer

TwoPieceFeed wrote:I'm confused by the current presentation of 2 pip sets... That diamond pip on the Native American court is something that would make these unplayable for me, and therefor noncollectable for me.
Thanks for the comment. Perhaps, for you this option is really not suitable. To each his own...
Wanderer

Merlebird wrote:

Imagination is inherent in a developed person. The lack of imagination is inherent in ...
Wanderer

Räpylätassu wrote:Yeah this isn't a bad deck in any way, it's actually pretty good design. To me however, pretty good without the wow factor rarely cuts it anymore.

I do hope that you get funded, but I just can't justify of buying this one, with all the amazing stuff that is coming out all the time.
Thank you! We are not interested in financing. The decks are already ready for printing. We monitor the market with the help of Kickstarter. I would like to see the super decks you mention. We track all the novelties in the market of playing cards and so far, except for repetitions with a change in the design of the box, nothing has been found. Playing cards are art and they should not be repeated. Or am I wrong? Comments on the quality of our playing cards can be found on the pages of our previous projects. The photo does not replace the original. Sincerely.
Wanderer

sinjin7 wrote:

Thank you. There are no old stories, there is a non-standard solution)))
Wanderer

jerichoholic wrote:Jamm Pakd Cards already did this not too long ago, seems like a carbon copy to me.
As for plagiarism ... Sketches of these playing cards were posted on this forum yet Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:06 am. So who steals from whom?
Wanderer

And so ... Decks of the Wild West were created in honor of the pioneers of the Wild West. We are not trying to replicate or improve the work of other people. This project is our vision of a historical moment. We created a project in the style of old decks. These decks are planned mainly for collectors, and not for active users. For active players, we are working on the next project, but more on this later ...
theCapraAegagrus

I mean, say whatever you want, but everything posted thus far is valid criticism.

- Jamm Pakd Cards did just do a Wild West themed deck. I don't think that the comment was aimed at the courts, specifically, but the idea and execution. And if I remember correctly they had to re-launch due to not funding in their first campaign. There aren't going to be many people salivating to get a deck like this in their hands when it's been done very recently.

- Super decks of late? Sins and Eva playing cards. Culminus. Alex Chin just finished the 3rd highest-grossing playing card Kickstarter of all-time with Apothecary Part 2 (which isn't just a rehash or recolor). Lotrek recently shipped the last of the Grotesk series and launched a couple other projects. A lot of great cards by a lot of great artists.

The Wild West theme doesn't seem popular among playing card players or collectors here, and this is a large community. As previously mentioned, it was just campaigned successfully by another designer. He did more than just respond to defend himself, too, because our responses influenced him to improve the design. This isn't a fancy legacy collector's deck. If the cards aren't being designed to be played, then they are not playing cards.

Good luck.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Wanderer wrote:And so ... Decks of the Wild West were created in honor of the pioneers of the Wild West. We are not trying to replicate or improve the work of other people. This project is our vision of a historical moment. We created a project in the style of old decks. These decks are planned mainly for collectors, and not for active users. For active players, we are working on the next project, but more on this later ...
Hey, if you love the historical significance of the Old West and are inspired to produce a deck with that theme, then good for you. Obviously the comment claiming your deck was a "carbon copy" of a previous deck was a gross exaggeration, but I think the rest of the comments and criticisms were valid. We don't represent all card collectors here at UC, but I think you can get a fairly good pulse of where the community stands here, so you can take these comments to heart. . .or not, totally up to you.

By what measure are you referring to when you say "super decks"? If you are talking about artistic merit, then there have been many extraordinarily beautiful decks produced in the past couple of years. If you're talking about raising a lot of money on Kickstarter, as TwoPieceFeed already mentioned, the 3rd highest playing card project in Kickstarter's history just closed a few days ago, plus there have been many other financially successful projects in the past couple of years. If you're talking about technological advancements, then you're not paying attention to the creative things other designers are doing with tucks or the breakthroughs with foiling on the cards. Do you consider this Wild West deck a super deck?

I'm almost wondering if something's being lost in translation. . .
Wanderer

It's great, the process is gone ... Now answer the respected critics, are there any professional artists among you? If so, can you show your work?
This is a work of art by Kazimir Malevich. The picture is expensive and discussed by critics. This became popular because of the stupidity of critics who were looking for some sense on an ordinary black square. What is your opinion?

Wanderer

What criteria are necessary to become a critic? I believe that, first of all, professionalism ... Is it possible to call a professional, a person collecting cars, if he can ride them, but does not know how they are arranged? I also want to be a critic ... Let's start with the projects you mentioned.

This project is taken from Arcana Playing Cards

It's my opinion. Do you have these decks? Wonderful, this is your choice, and it should live.

These decks vary from project to project in small things. I do not even pay attention to these changes. For me, the value of this deck in its first release. Further changes simply make money. Will you buy the same car in different colors?

With this deck, the same story. Do not give in to someone else's opinion, open your eyes.
Wanderer

Thank you very much for your comments and your desire to help. Our first project was broken on this forum. But we did it and got a lot of good feedback from supporters. The second we did not show here, and he collected enough fans))) Wild West - the third project, but we are ready for the fourth and fifth)))

"And yet it moves"
Galileo Galilei
theCapraAegagrus

Wanderer wrote:It's great, the process is gone ... Now answer the respected critics, are there any professional artists among you? If so, can you show your work?
This is a work of art by Kazimir Malevich. The picture is expensive and discussed by critics. This became popular because of the stupidity of critics who were looking for some sense on an ordinary black square. What is your opinion?

Professional artists represent a small group of playing card collectors. If they're the only people you wish to cater to, then make that apparent. I couldn't care less.

I consider myself a 'professional playing card collector', if you will. I take pride in collecting nothing short of what I consider artwork. This project, while certainly not the worst I've seen, just doesn't add and value to what I own. That doesn't even include the previously mentioned Jamm Pakd Cards deck, either.

If a collector owns a 15th century painting, they don't tend to purchase another that has a similar theme. Some may, but by virtue of personal experience, most don't.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

Wanderer wrote:What criteria are necessary to become a critic? I believe that, first of all, professionalism ... Is it possible to call a professional, a person collecting cars, if he can ride them, but does not know how they are arranged? I also want to be a critic ... Let's start with the projects you mentioned.

This project is taken from Arcana Playing Cards

It's my opinion. Do you have these decks? Wonderful, this is your choice, and it should live.

These decks vary from project to project in small things. I do not even pay attention to these changes. For me, the value of this deck in its first release. Further changes simply make money. Will you buy the same car in different colors?

With this deck, the same story. Do not give in to someone else's opinion, open your eyes.
You don't pay attention to details..?

Variants are good for everyone. Some colors attract some collectors. Entire series are attractive to many collectors. Most of them aren't just color changes. Most campaigns with multiple decks have different back designs to further contrast the color (and/or thematic) differences. If you're glossing over these details then you're not paying any close attention.

It's not "owning the same car in different colors". It's owning a yellow 2000 Lamborghini Diablo and a gunmetal gray 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Wanderer

TwoPieceFeed wrote:
Wanderer wrote:It's great, the process is gone ... Now answer the respected critics, are there any professional artists among you? If so, can you show your work?

Professional artists represent a small group of playing card collectors. If they're the only people you wish to cater to, then make that apparent. I couldn't care less.

I consider myself a 'professional playing card collector', if you will. I take pride in collecting nothing short of what I consider artwork. This project, while certainly not the worst I've seen, just doesn't add and value to what I own. That doesn't even include the previously mentioned Jamm Pakd Cards deck, either.

If a collector owns a 15th century painting, they don't tend to purchase another that has a similar theme. Some may, but by virtue of personal experience, most don't.
Thanks for the answer. In fact, collectors are different. I will never buy a thing with slight changes in color and design, because I think they make money on me. And the author was simply exhausted as a creator. This is my subjective opinion. There are people who gladly collect the same things. This is their right. I would have bought similar paintings from different authors. The technique of painting is important. I looked at the portfolio of your collection, and I understand your preferences. I have most of the decks you showed. Not in the collection, but as a working material. We check them for strength, water resistance, etc. But this should not be interesting to you. The key word in your messages is: "I consider myself". You have the right to consider yourself to be anything. I saw a man who considers himself to be Napoleon. And nothing, lives on the sly. For collectors, you have very few exhibits. I think so.
theCapraAegagrus

Wanderer wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:

Thanks for the answer. In fact, collectors are different. I will never buy a thing with slight changes in color and design, because I think they make money on me. And the author was simply exhausted as a creator. This is my subjective opinion. There are people who gladly collect the same things. This is their right. I would have bought similar paintings from different authors. The technique of painting is important. I looked at the portfolio of your collection, and I understand your preferences. I have most of the decks you showed. Not in the collection, but as a working material. We check them for strength, water resistance, etc. But this should not be interesting to you. The key word in your messages is: "I consider myself". You have the right to consider yourself to be anything. I saw a man who considers himself to be Napoleon. And nothing, lives on the sly. For collectors, you have very few exhibits. I think so.
I may not be a playing card artist, but don't underestimate my own, or anyone else's, abilities to judge artwork. I was a comic book artist in high school and at the college level. I am a Designer by trade, in drawing, and computer application. I engineer the piece of equipment that you drive in to and fro, and that has many more pieces than you can visually comprehend put together, more so than a tuck case and some playing cards. I know what real art is.

I consider myself a professional playing card collector, because I take it just as seriously as I do at my career, that enables me to be a collector. And, professionally speaking, this deck doesn't live up to the current market's standards. The playing card market and the automotive market are following similar trends right now. They're both getting smaller, the customers are more quality-demanding, and they're paying closer attention to details. If you don't take notes then you're going to follow some OEMs and start closing up shop.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Randomly Here

Unread post by Randomly Here »

I'm not a critic and I can not appreciate this picture of Malevich, although I'm a reasonable person.
These pips look quite interesting and attractive. I did not see the such decks.
When will your project be launched?
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

Wasn’t necessarily talking about the faces, but the theme in general and more so the back which is the same idea as his.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32