Art of Cardistry Geometry Playing Cards: Live on KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Art of Cardistry Geometry Playing Cards: Live on KS

Unread post by flashcards »

theCapraAegagrus

Re: Art of Cardistry Geometry Playing Cards: Live on KS

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

$30 for a black/white back with standard faces and a boring tuck... Gilding does not make this deck that valuable...
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
serubi
Player: Yes

Unread post by serubi »

A deck of card made for cardistry... but gilding makes it completely unusable for most cardistry.
theCapraAegagrus

serubi wrote:A deck of card made for cardistry... but gilding makes it completely unusable for most cardistry.
That's what I thought, but refrained from posting, because I'm no expert cardist and would hate to be wr-wr-wr... Wr-wr-wr... Wong...
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
akicer
White Whale: Encarded 2020 Patreon deck
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by akicer »

Don't know it's just me or some of UC members share the same feelings... When I see the phrase 'art of cardistry' I almost lost all my interest..
https://portfolio52.com/profile/2276/tradelist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
theCapraAegagrus

akicer wrote:Don't know it's just me or some of UC members share the same feelings... When I see the phrase 'art of cardistry' I almost lost all my interest..
I'm just not interested in "cardistry" decks. I mean, the ones that are labelled as such. It's good for the industry to appeal to more customers, but when you're aiming for one facet, then you're losing a target audience.

I mean, first and foremost, playing cards were created as one of the world's first 'games'. If a deck doesn't appeal to that history then it's lost my focus. I'm all-for decks that are functional for cardistry, but ones that it's the primary target, blah...
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:
akicer wrote:Don't know it's just me or some of UC members share the same feelings... When I see the phrase 'art of cardistry' I almost lost all my interest..
I'm just not interested in "cardistry" decks. I mean, the ones that are labelled as such. It's good for the industry to appeal to more customers, but when you're aiming for one facet, then you're losing a target audience.

I mean, first and foremost, playing cards were created as one of the world's first 'games'. If a deck doesn't appeal to that history then it's lost my focus. I'm all-for decks that are functional for cardistry, but ones that it's the primary target, blah...
I don't mind them being on the market, and I've even bought 1 or 2 that I felt were worth it. But even as somewhat of a cardist, I do feel like they're missing something vital. Part of what drew me to playing cards in the first place, and the reason it's such a unique type of media, is the combination of art/design and usability/playability. Very few other types of art achieves this level of functionality while still maintaining the broad design potential; from paintings hanging on the wall to that weird piece of furniture that looks nice but is rarely used.

"Cardistry decks" are still quite functional, but much less so (can't be played with or used for magic), and they also lose a fair amount of design elements (mainly courts).
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki