Epic Japan Playing Cards - Deck about Japan's History

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Kardeck
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Epic Japan Playing Cards - Deck about Japan's History

Unread post by Kardeck »

Discover the Heroes who made the Epic History of Japan and Mobilize their Forces to Win Legendary Games!

We're Kardeck, Nice to Meet You !
Kardeck is a French company : We are a team of card and table game enthusiasts. Our goal is to create card games with unique and original themes to awaken everyone’s curiosity, and more particularly that of the most passionate with the impeccable quality of our creations, regarding substance (materials and production) and design (concept and in-depth themes).

I'm here if you have any question about my work :)

Thank You A Thousand Times !
Attachments
PRESENTATION.jpg
theCapraAegagrus

Re: Epic Japan Playing Cards - Deck about Japan's History

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

My feedback:

1. I don't like the name of the deck. "Epic" is such an overused modern term. I like the theme, but "Epic Japan Deck" is very lame. "Heroes of History: Japan", just off the top of my head, sounds much better. It's your campaign, though, and other people may like the name.

2. Although I normally don't like 1-way backs, I think that this one is very nice. I like it.

3. These court cards are magnificent. Absolutely great. Great borders, great artwork, great execution.

4. The number cards are the opposite. Very bad. There is way too much going on. The borders are fine, even good, because they're more minimalist than the courts. I like that.

5. Another abnormality; having 4 different colored suits, also looks good in this deck.

6. The jokers are fantastic. More really great artwork.

7. The aces are not good. The different watermark from the number cards also bothers me a lot.

8. The tuck case is another good part of this project. I like it.

9. The price seems a tad high for an LPCC deck, but it isn't too high (for me). A good printer choice for the borders that this design has.

10. I just noticed the stretch goal of Gold Perfect Foil... :drool:

There is a LOT to like about this. I can't back it right now, though, because for me the number cards are just very bad... Even if I use these just for euchre, the aces are so bad that I wouldn't.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Kardeck
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Kardeck »

Thank You so Much TwoPieceFeed for your feedback !

First of all, I want to stress the fact that this is my first deck, and I tried to make my best, But I know there's a lot of imperfection. I want to thank you for your constructive criticism.

1. I had doubt about the "Epic" word too, But it was more for the Internet and marketing purpose. Maybe I will change the name to make it more serious when I will print the decks.

2. I didn't have thought of this... I will rethink it then :)

4. What bothers you about the number cards ? How can I improve then according to your tastes ?

7. The problem is the pattern on the background ? Do you prefer it "cleaner" like the numbers background ?

9. I understand your point and I had to make hard decisions about the price : The main problem is that I need to make the campaign with euros € because I'm from France, and the US$ is so low that I didn't have the choice... And I have to pay a lot of taxes too hahaha. But I tried to deliver the maximum quality for the price, I hope people will be happy with it.

Thank You
theCapraAegagrus

Kardeck wrote:Thank You so Much TwoPieceFeed for your feedback !

First of all, I want to stress the fact that this is my first deck, and I tried to make my best, But I know there's a lot of imperfection. I want to thank you for your constructive criticism.

1. I had doubt about the "Epic" word too, But it was more for the Internet and marketing purpose. Maybe I will change the name to make it more serious when I will print the decks.

2. I didn't have thought of this... I will rethink it then :)

4. What bothers you about the number cards ? How can I improve then according to your tastes ?

7. The problem is the pattern on the background ? Do you prefer it "cleaner" like the numbers background ?

9. I understand your point and I had to make hard decisions about the price : The main problem is that I need to make the campaign with euros € because I'm from France, and the US$ is so low that I didn't have the choice... And I have to pay a lot of taxes too hahaha. But I tried to deliver the maximum quality for the price, I hope people will be happy with it.

Thank You
2. I wouldn't change the back design. This is a positive for me. Normally 1-way backs are bad, but this one is very good.

4. The pips are too large, and the inner-pip design is too complex. I know you have them matching the court card borders, but with the watermark, the borders, etc, there is just too much going on. Sometimes perfection isn't when there's nothing to add; rather nothing to take away.

7. Yes, I prefer the aces' watermarks to match the number cards. The different pattern draws the wrong kind of attention here.

9. The price isn't keeping me away on this campaign. I think it's fair, but other people may think it's too high. I just wanted you to be aware of that.

I would like to express this very bluntly; I think that the court cards are absolutely perfect. Very well done.

I really want other members to express their opinions on this campaign. I would like some improvements to be made on the number cards and aces.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Kardeck
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Kardeck »

Okay, now I have a better understanding of your points. It's very constructive, thank you.

Of course, if other experimented members can express their opinions on my campaign I will be very happy.

Don't hesitate to be harsh, it's the best way through the improvement path and, as I said before, this is my first deck and I want to improve for the next one.

Thanks
Kardeck
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Kardeck »

@Cardians

I understand your point of view, but it's always interesting to have feedback, and explanation about why someone doesn't like something. I will take the final decisions of course but I'm here to accept critics because I want to improve my work.

Do you think the green I choose is too ugly hahaha ?
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Guys please do not use threads to throw insults at each other... Take it to PM if you have issues but enough of this non sense

Thanks

EDIT: I have removed a few of the posts involved Let's get back to discussing this deck
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I like the art on the court cards as well. Even though the back design is OK with the subtle one way back, I think it would be such an easy fix to make it a two way back while still preserving your design aesthetic. As a practical matter, two way backs are usually preferable for both playability and cardistry purposes. Since your Kickstarter campaign already started, you're probably not going to be able to make much significant change to your deck anyway. I find it interesting that an artist from France designs his first deck with a Japanese theme. Good luck on your campaign.
caniveski
White Whale: Bicycle Burton
Decks Owned: 800

Unread post by caniveski »

i like the deck... i feel the pip on the ace of diamonds should match the shape of the pips on the other diamonds
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

The tuck says Trump in Katakana on it.

The word is ruined for me. I just can't.
Kardeck
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Kardeck »

@vedus

Hahaha, but トランプ (toranpu) Trump is the correct word for "Playing Cards" in Japanese.
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

I didn't assume there was an association. I just can't look at my decks and see Trump staring back at me.
Smocito

Unread post by Smocito »

Hi,

Very nice deck, congratulations.

As mentioned previously, by another member, the shape of the Ace of Diamonds doesn't match the other diamonds pips (I prefer the curved diamonds).

I like the watermarks on the aces but they do feel "hors de propos" (out of place) regarding the rest of the deck. Also be careful with the full bleed watermark on the front, it seems light but it may be possible to identify the aces from the side.

You should also consider making uncut sheets available, I don't usually buy them but other people do and it may help fund the project.

I've backed for 1 deck.

Good luck
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

A way to make the backs two way without changing the beautiful artwork could be to duplicate the circular illustration and place them across from each other as you see in the classic bicycle back design.

Really hope this reaches the Gold Perfecta-Foil stretch goal!!!
akicer
White Whale: Encarded 2020 Patreon deck

Unread post by akicer »

The only thing I want to say is hope this deck can print at USPCC...
https://portfolio52.com/profile/2276/tradelist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
theCapraAegagrus

akicer wrote:The only thing I want to say is hope this deck can print at USPCC...
He's printing @ LPCC... Perfecta Foil (stretch goal) is an EPCC/LPCC technique.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Oscar53955

Unread post by Oscar53955 »

I actually like the artwork on this deck. Well done, Kardeck!
Kage X
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Kage X »

Love it and backed. Good luck
Kardeck
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Kardeck »

Hello Guys, and Thank You for all the feedback.

@Smocito You got a point, I will really consider to modify the watermark for the Aces
@JuFiN That's Clever, I will consider to have a two way back too !
@Everyone, thank you for your kinds messages and Support, I will do my best to reach the Goal of my Campaign.

If you have any question, about the Concept or Design, I'm here for you
Kardeck
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Kardeck »

If I reach the goal before the deadline, I will try to lower the Perfecta Foil Stretchgoal for the Back :)