The Planets: Venus (now shipping)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: The Planets: Venus NOW LIVE on Kickstarter

Unread post by davegk »

Lots of good points there, Bradius!

Also, I wanted to let you all know that there are 20 spots open in the $30 LE+SE tier right now. I shifted some decks from the $140 tier since nobody backed it.
David Goldklang, Product Designer
http://davidgoldklang.com
http://www.vandacards.com
Bikefanatic
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I pledged for the $30 tier! From now on I'll try to be on track with the rest.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

In reading the Standard Mercury decks on sale at your website, I see the run for the standard decks was 5,000. I had thought they would be 2,000. In going back and reading the campaign, I see it was listed as 2,000+. I guess I missed the plus’s sign. However 5,000 is a lot more than 2,000. I am a bit bummed by that, even if you are selling the surplus decks at $20 each.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

davegk wrote:Lots of good points there, Bradius!

Also, I wanted to let you all know that there are 20 spots open in the $30 LE+SE tier right now. I shifted some decks from the $140 tier since nobody backed it.
Dammit. Wish I would've seen this comment sooner to snatch one of those spots.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

As the campaign comes to a close, there will be a few that drop off. You just have to watch and be fast. I do that far too much...
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Yeah I jumped on the SE+LE bundle within a few minutes, by the time I'd finished pledging they were all but gone.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Someone really needs to design a bot to notify you if a specific sold out Kickstarter campaign tier opens up, and better yet will automatically sign you up for it (or at least message you that it is open).
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Bradius wrote:Someone really needs to design a bot to notify you if a specific sold out Kickstarter campaign tier opens up, and better yet will automatically sign you up for it (or at least message you that it is open).
https://github.com/timur-tabi/kickstarter-pledge-watch
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I got annoyed that there wasn't a link to the campaign anywhere on this thread so here.

About this deck and this series: I really liked the Mercury design, but this looks even better IMO, honestly among the best designed decks that have come out recently. And as for the series, I freaking love the idea, the ambition and going the extra mile to have every deck a different design. Deck series that have "that common thing" that makes it work as a set but every deck being different are really enjoyable.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

@Bradius: I initially put "2000+" for the SE quantity because I knew that would be the minimum amount required for the USPC order. Due to the popularity of the project, I've opted to print additional SE decks. Sorry if that was confusing or misleading in any way...but the point being that the Limited Edition is very much limited while the standard edition will be available for everyone to enjoy.

Also, I think it would be amazing if Kickstarter would implement a waiting list functionality so that you could get in line for a tier in the event that someone drops their pledge and maybe once you reach the top of the list and a spot opens you're given a certain timeframe to accept that spot (30 minutes or an hour or whatever).

@Räpylätassu: Thanks for the kind words! Also, I tried to drop the Kickstarter widget into the initial post but it doesn't seem to work...just displays the code string. How do you get it to work in a post on this forum?

Thanks!
Stevecru

Unread post by Stevecru »

RichK wrote:I actually like the SE better since the tuck is black. The LE blue tuck dulls the foil *pop* to my eye.
I was thinking that exact same thing at the launch. The black one should have been the LE. I bought a full set of each and immediately had buyers remorse.
If and when I get both sets, I’m going to sell the LE set on eBay and try to recover the total purchase price and keep the standard set for myself. If I can recover the $230 plus shipping and keep the standard decks at no cost, I’ll be happy.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I don’t think you will have much trouble selling the LE set. I imagine we will also see a few LE individual planet decks show up on eBay once they get shipped. A full set though wil be expensive, so that might scare away some potential buyers.
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

Stevecru wrote:
RichK wrote:I actually like the SE better since the tuck is black. The LE blue tuck dulls the foil *pop* to my eye.
I was thinking that exact same thing at the launch. The black one should have been the LE.
For me the choice was made when I saw the SEs would each have a different foil color on the tuck while the LEs would all be colored the same. The variety was just more appealing to me; I like different decks in the same set to be visibly different in all aspects while still maintaining that sense of continuity, and I think the SEs struck that balance better, at least for my tastes.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

My half-brick of standard decks arrived today, and they look amazing. The pink foil really looks awesome. This is really shaping up to be a great series.

For this year's UC deck of the year rewards, expect to see a full standard set as one choice. Hopefully I can put it in a nice display case too. I am still waiting on my Limited Venus deck, which will then ship off to a fellow member that is missing the LE Mercury and Venus decks.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

Bradius wrote:My half-brick of standard decks arrived today, and they look amazing. The pink foil really looks awesome. This is really shaping up to be a great series.

For this year's UC deck of the year rewards, expect to see a full standard set as one choice. Hopefully I can put it in a nice display case too. I am still waiting on my Limited Venus deck, which will then ship off to a fellow member that is missing the LE Mercury and Venus decks.
Thanks—glad you like how they turned out!

There will be a very awesome display box option available during/after the Neptune campaign...still working out the details but I think you're gonna like it.

Also, the Venus LE deck you're waiting for...was that part of a full LE set pledge or did you order it as an individual LE tier during Venus campaign? Cause I would expect the LE decks for individual tiers to have shipped with the SE decks...

-David
Bradius

Re: The Planets: Venus NOW LIVE on Kickstarter (wap)

Unread post by Bradius »

The LE was a separate order, and just after I posted my message I got an email it just shipped.
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: The Planets: Venus NOW LIVE on Kickstarter (wap)

Unread post by davegk »

Bradius wrote:The LE was a separate order, and just after I posted my message I got an email it just shipped.
Ok, cool—thanks!
CupcakeBaron

Unread post by CupcakeBaron »

Got my Venus deck and it's beautiful BUT the color on the backs is definitely different than I expected. The images on Kickstarter were more of a bright pink but the finished product is definitely a mauve. I still love the deck but it's just not what I was expecting.
Merlebird

CupcakeBaron wrote:Got my Venus deck and it's beautiful BUT the color on the backs is definitely different than I expected. The images on Kickstarter were more of a bright pink but the finished product is definitely a mauve. I still love the deck but it's just not what I was expecting.
I actually really like the muted pink. It does a nice job of evoking copper, which is the metal traditionally associated with Venus, while still harmonizing with the brighter holographic pink on the tuck.

That foil, by the way! I'm sure it's exactly the same stuff as the SE Mercury tuck, but especially on the side with the shot of the planet's surface it just seems to throw richer shades - everything from crimson to royal blue. It really pops.
CupcakeBaron

Merlebird wrote:
CupcakeBaron wrote:Got my Venus deck and it's beautiful BUT the color on the backs is definitely different than I expected. The images on Kickstarter were more of a bright pink but the finished product is definitely a mauve. I still love the deck but it's just not what I was expecting.
I actually really like the muted pink. It does a nice job of evoking copper, which is the metal traditionally associated with Venus, while still harmonizing with the brighter holographic pink on the tuck.

That foil, by the way! I'm sure it's exactly the same stuff as the SE Mercury tuck, but especially on the side with the shot of the planet's surface it just seems to throw richer shades - everything from crimson to royal blue. It really pops.
I too like the color and if I recall correctly it matches the color palette originally shared, I was just surprised by the difference. Oh well, I'm just happy they finally arrived!

And yes that foil is insane! I can't wait to see what the decks look like all lined up in a row together.
intlgrrl
White Whale: MAD DECK by Ozlem Olcer
Decks Owned: 256

Re: The Planets: Venus (now shipping)

Unread post by intlgrrl »

Just received my Venus cards... they are gorgeous
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Anyone able to take pictures? I pledged for the whole series so I have to wait...
Move on, nothing to see here.
Merlebird

GW shipped me two by accident :lol: One yesterday, one today. Fodder for the trade list, I guess....
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Merlebird wrote:GW shipped me two by accident :lol: One yesterday, one today. Fodder for the trade list, I guess....
Well, I am looking for one :D See if my tradelist would have something you want.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
CupcakeBaron

Merlebird wrote:GW shipped me two by accident :lol: One yesterday, one today. Fodder for the trade list, I guess....
I wonder how a mistake like that happens. Here's hoping that it's a one time occurrence and isn't more widespread because that could be quite costly.
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

Can you please email me at ace@vandacards.com with your backer info and photos of the two shipping labels? I'd like to look into this and figure out what happened.

Thanks,
David
Merlebird

davegk wrote:
Can you please email me at ace@vandacards.com with your backer info and photos of the two shipping labels? I'd like to look into this and figure out what happened.

Thanks,
David
Dave,

First mailer is already gone :? I put it in the recycling yesterday and it must've gotten picked up this morning. Bad timing, normally my recycling sits for months before I bother taking it out to the bin... but I'll PM you a picture of the second mailer and my backer info shortly.

Actually this is the second time this has happened to me in as many months. Amazon Fulfillment double-shipped something to me just this April. Maybe I just have one of those names that confuses computers...? It's not like it has some crazy punctuation in it or anything, though....
gcxmr2

Unread post by gcxmr2 »

I've just recieved my decks. They are beautiful but it seems to me that the Limited edition's foil on the tuck flakes off. There are tiny foil flakes under the cellophane wrapper. Compared to the SE decks, the lines on the LE decks doesn't seem to be as clean.
As for the cellophane, has anyone else notice that the tab to open the cellophane is directly in the middle of the back of the tuck box directly underneath the seal instead of the typical side of the tuck box?
Anyhow, that's my little review of the decks.
CupcakeBaron

gcxmr2 wrote:I've just recieved my decks. They are beautiful but it seems to me that the Limited edition's foil on the tuck flakes off. There are tiny foil flakes under the cellophane wrapper. Compared to the SE decks, the lines on the LE decks doesn't seem to be as clean.
As for the cellophane, has anyone else notice that the tab to open the cellophane is directly in the middle of the back of the tuck box directly underneath the seal instead of the typical side of the tuck box?
Anyhow, that's my little review of the decks.
I noticed there was some foil loss on both of my standard edition decks right out the gate but I just assume it's the luck of the draw. Same deal with clean lines.
CupcakeBaron

RichK wrote:Anyone able to take pictures? I pledged for the whole series so I have to wait...
Not the best pics but hopefully good enough