Maduro Playing Cards (Kings Wild Project)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Cardians
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Anything Lotrek makes....

Maduro Playing Cards (Kings Wild Project)

Unread post by Cardians »

A cigar inspired deck. Doubt it will be a KS as it seems JR is having EPCC print all his cards while he produces plan tuck boxes to fill them.
image.jpg

Again, an easy pass!

Enjoy!

https://instagram.com/p/BeVr_E7FZJu/
theCapraAegagrus

Re: Maduro Playing Cards (Kings Wild Peoject)

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Won't be investing in it, but I like the look and inspiration.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Damnit, this might be the 1st JR deck I buy since Legal Tender. I'm a sucker for cigar stuff. Let's see how economical the price is..
Räpylätassu
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Looks pretty nice. I hope that this has nice looking cards as well and isn't a filler deck like Flywheels or that eye deck V something V something.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

This is a slightly new direction for JR, but one close enough to his style, that I am sure he can do well. I will be interested in it. I probably will not able to spend big bucks to have the same deck in a nicely sealed and signed pine box though. Although I do own one of his Pine boxes (just one).

I am also hoping that JR can start producing his own tucks at a more competitive price point than the big printers, giving his decks a more competitive price than others, rather than a huge premium over tucks produced with the cards. Keeping in mind USPCC, EPCC and some others can put out foiling, embossing and other bling his home press likely can’t. His press can do some low print and unique versions the big printers will not do.
Wizard_of_Os
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 100

Re: Maduro Playing Cards (Kings Wild Peoject) (wap)

Unread post by Wizard_of_Os »

A deck like this would have to turn out very poorly for me to pass. I love the inspiration as I am a big cigar smoker myself. Hopefully the price is within reach for me.
Oscar53955

Unread post by Oscar53955 »

Probably won’t get this one. The tuck alone is not enough to convince me. Perhaps if the cards themselves amaze me enough I’ll buy.
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Re: Maduro Playing Cards (Kings Wild Project)

Unread post by JacksandJokers »

I will certainly go so far as to say I'm intrigued by this.
Not enough to jump on them straight away but if the court cards are fully custom then it could turn out to be a pretty cool deck especially if JR adds all the bells and whistles too.
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

I think King's Wild's business model has evolved and streamlined well for Jackson. I like his artwork and his court cards but he's now in the business of making tuck boxes and back designs and continuing to charge a premium.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

I've been very selective and passed on the last few KEP/JR decks [and put that $$ into his Sherlock Holmes decks], but this one has my interest piqued. I know I will love the artwork, and I do like this tuck, it's all down to price for me right now. Oh! And that I would be very happy if he held this off until March/April.
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

I saw some of the pictures on their Facebook page. Actually, I like how this deck is turning out EXCEPT for a big error. All the court cards and Aces bleed over on the sides in the middle, however it doesn't do the same on the numbers cards. This is a fundamental error.

The Aces are custom. They are quite nice. The tuck looks nice too. Not just another tuck swap. The cigars on the sides of the numbers cards are silly in my opinion. Overall, nice, but quirky in a bad way.

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Assuming the price is somewhat reasonable I will certainly be buying these. They look amazing but I am a sucker for cigar products. While I like the little cigar pips on the side I also hate the full bleed courts and aces but not spot cards. Big pet peeves. But not enough for me to not want it.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I commented on the courts and Aces going full bleed and he replied
I've done this type of design on past decks and haven't had any complaints. People that are "seriously" playing cards aren't using my cards, they are too hard to read. :)
It's a KS project too. Feb. 24 at 1 p.m. EST.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

RichK wrote:I commented on the courts and Aces going full bleed and he replied
I've done this type of design on past decks and haven't had any complaints. People that are "seriously" playing cards aren't using my cards, they are too hard to read. :)
I feel like he should at least pretend to have a thought-out reason to not make the bleeds match on the spot cards beyond just "people will give me money anyway ;)" but YMMV I guess.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Merlebird wrote:
I feel like he should at least pretend to have a thought-out reason to not make the bleeds match on the spot cards beyond just "people will give me money anyway ;)" but YMMV I guess.
This is typical JR behavior. His "take it or leave it" attitude is my biggest knock on him. I also wouldn't set your alarm for this KS since he doesn't do EBs anymore. Those are getting less and less common in general.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I really like the aces. Pretty nice looking deck.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

So the issue is if there's a partial full bleed design on only the court cards and Aces, then you can tell them apart from the spot cards in a stack. When has Jackson done this type of design in the past? I remember he considered doing it on the Legal Tender deck with the (infamous) holo strips bleeding to the edges on the courts, but when we pointed out this would cause the deck to be edge readers, and thus render the deck unplayable, he tweaked the design so the holo strips stop short of reaching the edges of the cards. In fact, here is his comment from the Legal Tender thread:
JacksonRobinson wrote:The main reason I had the holo strip on the edge was because I was trying to replicate the way the current $100 bill's holo strips placement. However the tweak is totally fine and I'll keep it. I would rather have my cake and eat it to when it comes to haveing a more playable deck.
Clearly, in the not so distant past, Jackson was actually concerned about the playability of his decks and his preference was to make them more playable, which is what every playing card designer should aim for. Now it appears he doesn't give a damn anymore whether anyone is able to actually use his decks for card play. Why even bother making playing cards then? He should just make miniature art posters for people to collect in fancy tuck boxes.

When he puts his effort into it, his art is quite excellent. But he gets sidetracked by poor project management, poor quality control, poor communication, and his ego and snarky attitude unfortunately eclipses the excellence of his artistic talent at times. I also get the feeling his heart really isn't into playing cards anymore. His last two decks he produced (Intaglio & Flywheels) seemed like he was just phoning it in and was relying on printing gimmicks rather than great art. Recently, he's gone back to making t-shirts again and his most recent KS was not a playing card project but a table game. It seemed to me he was a lot more energized and engaged with his supporters with his table game, even after he cancelled the project because it wasn't going to fund. Part of this may be because he sees how much money some table top games make with artists like Elan Lee making $11 million off of two table top card game projects on KS.

Bottom line is that the art is excellent for the Maduro deck but its a shame Jackson doesn't think his playing cards are meant to be played with anymore.
alric
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by alric »

vasta41 wrote:Assuming the price is somewhat reasonable......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
theCapraAegagrus

The Arthurian 'SE' decks were a reasonable $12. Not sure what you're laughing at.

If these are < $15 then it's a good deal if the artwork is good. I am not pledging, though.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I am going to back it, unless something really changes from what I expect. The cards look great and I like the subject. I didn’t go for Flywheels, but I do like these.
badpete69

Unread post by badpete69 »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:The Arthurian 'SE' decks were a reasonable $12. Not sure what you're laughing at.

If these are < $15 then it's a good deal if the artwork is good. I am not pledging, though.
Two Piece I think you are the king defender of our friend JR.. Are you guys related or something?
theCapraAegagrus

badpete69 wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:The Arthurian 'SE' decks were a reasonable $12. Not sure what you're laughing at.

Two Piece I think you are the king defender of our friend JR.. Are you guys related or something?
:lol: :lol:

No, I just won't sit by and allow poisonous opinions to potentially dissuade future (and present) collectors from supporting him. I've kept no secrets regarding the fact that I will no longer support his projects post-Arthurian, and I will keep it no secret that most of the 3 bricks of his decks that I own are fantastic pieces of artwork with very little to quibble about.

It's kinda like Metallica. Once St. Anger hit, I was done buying their albums, but everything from Kill 'Em All to S&M are works of art. They even enacted some redemption with Death Magnetic. JR will probably have future decks that are good, too, but I'm just not interested anymore.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
badpete69

Speaking of Metallica I was there from the beginning... I even saw them open for WASP of all bands when they were unknown.. We booed WASP off the stage both nights.. Started in 1979 with speed and death metal .... Saw Slayer first tour, Megadeth, Venom, Bathory and the list goes on And to this day still in the dark heavy genre. Guess i never grew up Ok derailment done back to cigars and good scotch
theCapraAegagrus

badpete69 wrote:Speaking of Metallica I was there from the beginning... I even saw them open for WASP of all bands when they were unknown.. We booed WASP off the stage both nights.. Started in 1979 with speed and death metal .... Saw Slayer first tour, Megadeth, Venom, Bathory and the list goes on And to this day still in the dark heavy genre. Guess i never grew up Ok derailment done back to cigars and good scotch
You're my type of man, Pete (no homo).

My mouth has been watering for a box of Glenmorangie Signet the past few weeks. I wonder if they still produce it (I have still seen it around recently). I know it's a bit overpriced just for the 'darker flavor' process, but I haven't had a dram of it in years. I loved it.

To remain on-topic (kinda), I haven't had a truly great cigar in years. I have boxes of mini foil-wrapped ones, that have 50 per box, and normally go for $100. I got them 75% off when CVS had their tobacco clearance sales (I was an employee at the time). Those will still last me some time... My best friend shared a Cuban when we were teens (I was 17 - he got it as a wedding gift from his uncle when he was child in the 90's). I didn't know not to inhale it, but even considering that I did, it was definitely the best cigar I have had in the last 11 years.

Edit: Didn't feel like responding to Pete's next post lol. Not many people know about Armagnac. Twice the flavor and half the price of Cognac. Love it.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
badpete69

Currently almost done with a nice 22 year old bottle of Aberlour Scotch. Also love cognac and Armagnac have a few gems also... Geez i might have to buy this cigar deck after all
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

badpete69 wrote:Currently almost done with a nice 22 year old bottle of Aberlour Scotch. Also love cognac and Armagnac have a few gems also... Geez i might have to buy this cigar deck after all
You guys want some good scotch, try Lagavulin...it’s really smoky, but soooo good! :drool:

Common Pierre, admit it, you know you want this deck... :lol:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Stevecru

Unread post by Stevecru »

You guys want some good scotch, try Lagavulin...it’s really smoky, but soooo good!

I'll second that. Lagavulin - Smokey, Peaty, salty... It's a real treat.
Stevecru

Unread post by Stevecru »

Speaking of Metallica I was there from the beginning... I even saw them open for WASP of all bands when they were unknown.. We booed WASP off the stage both nights.. Started in 1979 with speed and death metal .... Saw Slayer first tour, Megadeth, Venom, Bathory and the list goes on And to this day still in the dark heavy genre. Guess i never grew up Ok derailment done back to cigars and good scotch
We're from the same era. But for me it was Black Flag, Clash, Circle Jerks....
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Hmmm. Beatles. Time for some Scotch before bedtime.
theCapraAegagrus

Stevecru wrote:
You guys want some good scotch, try Lagavulin...it’s really smoky, but soooo good!

I'll second that. Lagavulin - Smokey, Peaty, salty... It's a real treat.
Third-ing this. I actually drank a bottle last month. Mmm.

Tonight I'm actually getting together with a couple friends and we're each bringing a bottle from different regions.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠