Maduro Playing Cards (Kings Wild Project)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
TGunitedcardists

Re: Maduro Playing Cards (Kings Wild Project)

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

Mike Ratledge wrote:Love the theme, albeit a little bit hokey in places. Can't say that I dig the tobacco colored faces, but I like the artwork for these.

The way he used the side to side faces to essentially band the courts works for me.
But by not going side to side on number cards, it doesn't work for actually playing cards with. Doesn't that bother you?
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

shaitani wrote:Since we're talking whiskey... I really want to try that Lagavulin, I've never had a solid high quality smoky whiskey.
And my personal recommendation, the most complex and smooth flavor I've ever had: Suntory Hibiki, japanese whiskey.
Ardbeg is my favorite Islay Scotch. All of their selections are fantastic.

I need to try some Japanese Single Malts.

Update: Do not have a Scotch party. I drank more than a bottle's worth on Saturday, and threw up about 7 different times yesterday...
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Anyone thinks that a whiskey thread (or a thread to alcoholic spirits) is on demand?

I'm not a big drinker so I can't contribute very much as the opening poster, but I think it would be nice if someone opened a thread for "UC's favorite spirits" to the general section.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

Räpylätassu wrote:Anyone thinks that a whiskey thread (or a thread to alcoholic spirits) is on demand?

I'm not a big drinker so I can't contribute very much as the opening poster, but I think it would be nice if someone opened a thread for "UC's favorite spirits" to the general section.
That doesn't seem like it would be very supportive of TwoPiece's efforts to return to clean living.... :lol:

I don't drink at all myself, but I could probably get behind an offtopic "What's Your OTHER Vice?" thread. (With the caveat that they should be legal vices; nobody wants to be subpoenaed.)
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Räpylätassu wrote:Anyone thinks that a whiskey thread (or a thread to alcoholic spirits) is on demand?

Personally I think there's a great opportunity for a deck theme Here. A cigar deck is step one and I can't believe I'm saying this but I think JR could come out with a really good liquor deck too. Like a series kind of.
P.S. give me a Bulleit rye old fashioned and I'm happy :)
theCapraAegagrus

Haha. I 'live clean' most days. I've been an alcoholic in the past, and over the past few years I only drink on a couple Saturdays a month. By choice. I'd rather collect playing/MtG cards, and play some NHL online, than spend a lot on booze, most days/nights.

I feel like I'm in the minority, in that I have always loved Ellusionist's Prohibition decks. I actually own 3 box sets and 5 of each deck all together. I would love to see some other artists' takes on alcohol-themed cards. If JR does that, I might break that oath to not support his future campaigns, if they looked good...
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I think when E came out with the Prohibition set we were all duly impressed, as we should've been. Beautiful tucks and fantastically packaged. Unfortunately, that set got lost in the sea of Madison decks so it probably did become a bit underrated. If Jackson put out that set with his take on the court cards, people would've gone nuts for them (although it would've cost 3 times more, especially the boxed set). Someone else who could do a great job with a spirits-themed series is Randy (Butterfield). It's literally his day job so it would be in his wheelhouse.

Speaking of decks that might bring us back to buying Jackson's decks, does anyone remember the Aristocrat type decks Jackson was playing around with? This was after he finished up his Fed52 series when he used to interact here alot, but before the Sherlock series when things went south. I think he's finished with his version of the Tally Ho series (which were great), and if he followed through with his version of the Aristocrat 727 banknote series, that might get me to fall off the wagon. . .
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I would really like the idea of alcohol themed decks as well.

As for the Prohibition decks, Disparos Tequila is among the best decks in my entire collection* and Rebellion Rum has one of my favorite back designs in my collection**. All the decks were designed by Oban Jones. I sometimes wonder that is Ellusionist holding him back? If Oban Jones could do more truly custom decks, I wonder just how good they could be, as Disparos Tequila IMO is the proof that he could 100 % pull it off.

*Number 28 in my TOP 100 decks (19.02.18)
**Number 63 in my TOP 100 decks (19.02.18)
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Cardians
White Whale: Anything Lotrek makes....

Unread post by Cardians »

NEWS ALERT:

Kickstarters day & time has been changed according to JR.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 12.32.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 12.32.02 PM.png (30.09 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Wait, what? JR's delaying the release to Monday??

*does the timezone math on his fingers*

.... Tuesday at noon.

#Triumphal fanfare#
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I was getting all frustrated looking for the deck on Kickstarter until I seen the post above.

I'm not a smoker or have any knowledge of cigars at all but I like the deck design.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
badpete69

Re: Maduro Playing Cards (Kings Wild Project) now live on KS

Unread post by badpete69 »

Now live
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Wow, these are expensive.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

I'm ... displeased that 1/3rd of my overall pledge amount is going into shipping, but I'm OK with JR going straight down the line with only 2 decks available.
sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I can't believe Jackson only showed pictures of the court cards, aces, and jokers and didn't show any of the spot cards. I think people should know if this is going to be a playable deck or not, and there's no way of knowing from his KS page. He also stated that there will be 2000 - 3000 silver edition decks and he'll print as many gold editions as he can sell, so not one of his more limited projects.

I'm going to quote Jackson's actual words:

"If you would like a deck of playing cards that is something truly unique then the Maduro Playing Cards have the perfect blend of tradition and style to make your next cardgame a truly unique experience."

He's actually promoting this deck to be used in card games. But that would be problematic if the courts and aces bleed to the edges and the spot cards do not. I also find it amusing that he's specifying that these will be produced in EPCC's Taiwan based factory. Well, if he says so. . . :roll:

At the end of the day, this is a typical Jackson deck: very nice tuck boxes, well-executed court cards, a bit over-priced, and with his my way or the highway attitude (in reference to playability). Easy pass.
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

Ouch the Jack of Spades is about to have a nasty burn on his fingers holding his cigar like that.
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

The profit takers will profit.
The failed profit takers take the hit.
I hope jr makes a motza !
(Looks that way already)
As ever, you will profit from your own due diligence .... not from subscribing to anothers delimiting exclusivity.
I think jacksons past indiscretions are now assets .... removing the few who subscribe to failure for failures sake (some need it .... for their own ends), giving him a lateral freedom of movement unencumbered by the false predictions of such unredeeming negativists.
Get aboard.
Or get burnt. :D
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I blinked and missed all of the EB decks. He is already past his funding goal, so I think he is fine with those that want to pass on this one. I am in. A nice collectable deck IMHO. Both tucks are smokin’!
theCapraAegagrus

Tucks: A+
Backs: B
Aces: A+
Courts: B-
Pips: B+

The Silver Edition backs are better than the LE, but that cigar color is pretty tasty. I like the spin on his 52+J Club Deck Joker.

The style is just too much like the Crazy 8s and Arthurian projects for me to really care or feel like I'm 'missing out'.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

sinjin7 wrote:I can't believe Jackson only showed pictures of the court cards, aces, and jokers and didn't show any of the spot cards. I think people should know if this is going to be a playable deck or not, and there's no way of knowing from his KS page. He also stated that there will be 2000 - 3000 silver edition decks and he'll print as many gold editions as he can sell, so not one of his more limited projects.

I'm going to quote Jackson's actual words:

"If you would like a deck of playing cards that is something truly unique then the Maduro Playing Cards have the perfect blend of tradition and style to make your next cardgame a truly unique experience."

He's actually promoting this deck to be used in card games. But that would be problematic if the courts and aces bleed to the edges and the spot cards do not. I also find it amusing that he's specifying that these will be produced in EPCC's Taiwan based factory. Well, if he says so. . . :roll:

At the end of the day, this is a typical Jackson deck: very nice tuck boxes, well-executed court cards, a bit over-priced, and with his my way or the highway attitude (in reference to playability). Easy pass.
Not sure if noticed but there is an image of the 10oS, and a few others, on the page now. It appears as though all spot cards will have an image of a specific cigar with it's title.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Ugh, I DESPISE how the courts and aces are full bleed but the spot cards are not. What the hell was he thinking?? If only there were a place where he could show card enthusiasts some draft designs of future projects so that they can give advise and constructive criticisms on pros and cons of the deck. Oh well, I guess we can just "take it or leave it." Regardless this seems like an amateur mistake for a veteran artist. I'm curious to know his thought process behind this blatant faux pas.
sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Cbkimble wrote:Not sure if noticed but there is an image of the 10oS, and a few others, on the page now. It appears as though all spot cards will have an image of a specific cigar with it's title.
Thanks, I somehow missed the spot cards when I checked out this KS. Well, it's officially confirmed then, this deck will not be playable, its going to be an edge reader. I'm trying to come up with card games where it doesn't matter if the location of courts or aces are given away, and I can't come up with anything. Its a shame, really, this is a very attractive deck that is ruined for actual use.

I also thought the silver deck was $14.00 shipped, which is within reason. I didn't check it out because I'm not buying Jackson's decks anymore, but someone informed me it's actually $18.00 per deck shipped to the U.S. If that's the case, then the Maduro deck is definitely overpriced for a custom playing card deck, and waaaaay overpriced for an unplayable deck.
sms69x
Magician: Yes

Unread post by sms69x »

sinjin7 wrote:
Cbkimble wrote:Not sure if noticed but there is an image of the 10oS, and a few others, on the page now. It appears as though all spot cards will have an image of a specific cigar with it's title.
Thanks, I somehow missed the spot cards when I checked out this KS. Well, it's officially confirmed then, this deck will not be playable, its going to be an edge reader. I'm trying to come up with card games where it doesn't matter if the location of courts or aces are given away, and I can't come up with anything. Its a shame, really, this is a very attractive deck that is ruined for actual use.
I'm quite sure the number cards weren't there in the begining of the campaign. I posted a comment requesting him to show the number cards and I belive he only updated the campaign page after that.
sms69x
Magician: Yes

Unread post by sms69x »

His last comment regarding deck's playability " I also have learned with experience that anyone that is playing serious enough games where people might be getting an "edge" by looking for marked cards usually are never using my art style playing cards."
I guess that says a lot!

(sorry for the double post)
theCapraAegagrus

Idk how much that will affect the play-ability. If it does, much, then that would be too bad because the cigar theme would make them a good choice of deck to use in most houses I play cards.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I too don’t know how bad it will affect playability for recreational use. I do agree with Jackson that the band is an Essential design element. Perhaps with an inside border, but even that would look bad IMO.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Simple solution- cut the full-bleed short! He doesn't have to make that band go all the way to the edge. Or he could add a full-bleed band to the spot cards, maybe at a very minimal opacity behind the pips then adjusting the level until it's 100% at the edge. I don't know, I'm not a deck designer. All I know is playability or not, the cards are unaesthetically pleasing, especially in a fan. And for an $18 EPCC deck designed by someone who has created 40+ decks of cards I would expect better.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

Honestly I'm all about artist intent. If his intention is to create cards where the spot cards DON'T have bands then so be it. It's the man's creative vision--he's allowed that--especially after 40 projects. It's ultimately up to him to choose what kind of deck he's making. Not every deck is for every body. It's not a 'his way or the highway' scenario--there's freewill here. LOL. No one is being forced to back the project. If you look at some of his previous releases (legal tender USA for instance) each suit has a different color background. Is that eminently playable? Not really. But that deck is brilliant aesthetically in my opinion. Obviously 382 people thus far find the design pleasing enough that the project was backed in about 8 hours.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

TheGentlemanWake wrote:Honestly I'm all about artist intent. If his intention is to create cards where the spot cards DON'T have bands then so be it. It's the man's creative vision--he's allowed that--especially after 40 projects. It's ultimately up to him to choose what kind of deck he's making. Not every deck is for every body. It's not a 'his way or the highway' scenario--there's freewill here. LOL. No one is being forced to back the project. If you look at some of his previous releases (legal tender USA for instance) each suit has a different color background. Is that eminently playable? Not really. But that deck is brilliant aesthetically in my opinion. Obviously 382 people thus far find the design pleasing enough that the project was backed in about 8 hours.
Having a different background color on the faces has no effect on playability. Having bands go full bleed to the edges of only he courts and aces totally affects playability. This is known as edge reading, you will be able to tell approximately where the courts and aces are in a deck simply by looking at the edges of a stack of cards. We had a discussion about this on the Legal Tender thread because Jackson originally wanted to have holographic foil bleed to the edges on only the court cards. Interestingly, he agreed by doing so would make his deck unplayable and agreed to shorten the holo foil strip just short of the edges so the courts wouldn't be given away.

I agree Jackson's artistic intent needs the bands for the theme of his cigar deck. He could've had the bands stop short of the edges like he planned to do with the Legal Tender deck, or if that went against his design aesthetic, then he could've had bands on the spot cards as well, like vasta41 already suggested. Of course Jackson can do whatever he wants, and none of us are forced to back him, all that goes without saying. But many people play card games with their decks because, well, that's the intended purpose of playing cards. On this forum, cardists would like to have good looking face-out fans and clean spreads. It's unfortunate this won't be the case with the Maduro deck.

I don't know about others, but I like cards that offers the most versatility and check the boxes on most of my needs. I want cards to be beautifully collectible, handle like a dream for cardistry/magic, and be practically playable for poker. Especially if it's $18.00+ per deck. Jackson is talented enough to have many fans, so his projects always fund quickly. I just rather see deck designers progress and be more inclusive for the use of their decks. Sadly, on this deck, Jackson has regressed due to his choice to narrow the scope of utility.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I am not sure where $18 a deck comes from. Mine are $14 for a silver deck. I d have a one cost of $6 added to my domestic order, but all additional are $14 each ($16 international). Honestly, I am seeing a lot in that range. Also, they do have that band added on. I don’t think that adds $2 to the cost, but it does add some cost. Anyway, back it or don’t back it. Your choice. I don’t back every Kickstarter playing card campaign.