Butler Brothers Playing Cards: Live on KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Butler Brothers Playing Cards: Live on KS

Unread post by flashcards »

Adonael

Re: Butler Brothers Playing Cards: Live on KS

Unread post by Adonael »

Oh man, what even is this? They want to "reinvent what playing cards can be", with this? How is a boring tuck, a dull concrete grey colour scheme (which is going to look much darker/worse when printed), and completely standard faces other than a single custom ace going to reinvent anything. Faces which they can't even show anyway because they have no renders or prototype, the excuse being that MPC isn't good quality, well yeah, it's a prototype, you get it so you can take some pictures of it and see what it looks like in person, it doesn't need to be big three quality. Honestly with a few changes, and custom courts, maybe it could work as a dark noir type theme, I could see that, but I don't see the appeal of this.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Adonael wrote:Oh man, what even is this? They want to "reinvent what playing cards can be", with this? How is a boring tuck, a dull concrete grey colour scheme (which is going to look much darker/worse when printed), and completely standard faces other than a single custom ace going to reinvent anything. Faces which they can't even show anyway because they have no renders or prototype, the excuse being that MPC isn't good quality, well yeah, it's a prototype, you get it so you can take some pictures of it and see what it looks like in person, it doesn't need to be big three quality. Honestly with a few changes, and custom courts, maybe it could work as a dark noir type theme, I could see that, but I don't see the appeal of this.
You beat me to the punch of "how the hell does this reinvent anything"?

Does the artist/creator know anything about playing cards..? Lotrek is one of the few people that can actually claim they know anything about "reinventing" playing cards. The only thing that this creator's "reinventing" is how I waste my morning thinking about words that are synonymous with "stupid" and how I perceive this campaign.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
badpete69
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

I think this is just a parody of the other Butler Brothers. heck they are even using almost exactly a copy of their logo.. Maybe it's just a bad joke hehehe
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

badpete69 wrote:I think this is just a parody of the other Butler Brothers. heck they are even using almost exactly a copy of their logo.. Maybe it's just a bad joke hehehe
Good catch. I didn't even think about that. :lol:
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Orioncap
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Orioncap »

I wasnt sure what was going on with this deck when i first saw it on kickstarter as there is a lack of mockups or photos of the cards...
hopefully there will be an update soon :)
jerichoholic
Player: Yes
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

And these guys Ban & Bave? Nothing innovative about this.

Also i'm concerned about their plan to print individual numbered tuck cases, is that even possible? Sounds like it would be very expensive to do and I haven't seen any other person do that from what I can think of.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

It says " All of the face and number cards will be kept traditional. "

Hardly reinventing something with that.
Move on, nothing to see here.
ButlerBrothers
Lurker
Lurker

Unread post by ButlerBrothers »

Man oh man, the scrutiny I have gotten on this page.

But also, wow do I appreciate the feedback.

Let me address some things I would like to change, as well as address some complaints:

I am just a guy who loves cards, poker, and magic. All I want is to make a deck for, myself, my brother, and the public to enjoy. So in saying that, I truly do appreciate the feedback I have gotten.

In the next Kickstarter, I will do a total redesign:
- I will have custom court cards, and I plan to make a 20's, Mobster style theme
- I plan on including uncut sheets rather than wristbands
- A much lower funding goal. As it stands right now, I believe I will convert to LPCC. They will be able to give me numbered decks for MUCH cheaper than USPCC. (right now, my idea for the next kickstarter goal will be ~$3300
- I will get a prototype deck from MPC
(In the past, when trying to order decks from MPC, my decks have come tarnished or not at all, which was the reason as to why I had such a disdain for them. But seeing as how this was several years ago, it would really be in the best interest to get a prototype anyway.)

Honestly, this whole process has been such a learning experience. If anyone has any more feedback they would like to give, please email me at
butlerbrotherscards@gmail.com

Regards,
Parker Butler