Cabinet of Curiosities - Playing Cards - by Cellar Window

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
HFMJ

Cabinet of Curiosities - Playing Cards - by Cellar Window

Unread post by HFMJ »

badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Cabinet of Curiosities - Playing Cards - by Cellar Windo

Unread post by badpete69 »

HMFJ

When you post a new project feel free to add a few pics and such it is fairly easy. I spruced up your post with more details

Thanks for posting though
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Uh... No, thank you.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Still waiting on both Don Quixote Vol. 2 decks so never backing these guys again. Plus this deck is ugly.
Move on, nothing to see here.
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

RichK wrote:Still waiting on both Don Quixote Vol. 2 decks so never backing these guys again. Plus this deck is ugly.
+1!! Deliver the delayed decks first...
HFMJ

Unread post by HFMJ »

Thank you for the help and suggestions, badpete69! Next time I will have a more detailed post.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I would like to see a booklet or prefer a free download of all of the cards and a bit of information about them. To me, these look different. I am in, but as have been said by others, the fact that you have some outstanding unfilled projects will make this a tough sell. Even Lotrek is having to win back some folks due to delayed deliveries.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

As Bradius mentioned above, this is different and so, I'm in as well. I didn't back Vol II and the next one but had received Vol I in a timely manner. Nam was the one who dared to offer free worldwide shipping for his decks on Kickstarter when LPCC used to be his printer easing some pain for International backers, and got the decks shipped from Taiwan itself rather than having these sent through the ship & the endless wait.

Seems like his initial 2 projects faced shipping challenges when certain backers could not receive their decks on time and in some cases those packages might have got lost or never made it to the destination. Delayed communication seems to have added to the fire and I hope Nam take some lessons on-board in his current & future projects. He has always been quite forthcoming and prompt in sharing details behind free shipping, printers, fulfillment partners etc. with me when I was just starting and for which I'm always thankful to him.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

I was interested until I saw it'll be printed by NPCC.
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

Seeing as how the creator's communication has been really poor and imo the execution was not great so i'm a pass. The theme for this is good but the it could have been much better. Think about what someone like Jody could do with this theme.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

I'm only posting here hoping that ROMAN OF NPCC will not also abandon backers of this project like the creator obviously has...
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

PipChick wrote:I'm only posting here hoping that ROMAN OF NPCC will not also abandon backers of this project like the creator obviously has...
This is a big hope @PipChick. Are you saying that Roman (NPCC) should look into fulfilling the decks because Cellar Window used NPCC as the printer?

Why should he do that if he hasn't been paid completely by the creator for both printing & fulfillment? I'm assuming that NPCC has not been paid completely for both the printing & shipping otherwise this deck would have been sitting in our collections (I am a backer too) by now.

I've seen the other thread (Don Quixote) and the comment made by PPC too. The contract and the quote were signed between Legends & Cellar Window, this design is CW's property, I don't think any other entity can lay a claim on the printed decks even if it looks like a moral high ground.

If I look at it, there are a number of creators who fled after taking backer's money (meaning the project never got fulfilled) or became non-responsive after Kickstarter campaign ended......it happens not only in playing card KS projects but in other categories too. I'll ask the question that why only Cellar Window's deck and not someone else's. May be, it is a better value or design or this gesture can generate a bit more empathy towards PPC, who knows.....my 2 cents.

Update: I went through DQ Vol 2 Comments page and observed that the creator has shared the art files with the backers and have given a kind of license to the current backers. This does make it interesting.
PipChick

guru wrote:
PipChick wrote:I'm only posting here hoping that ROMAN OF NPCC will not also abandon backers of this project like the creator obviously has...
This is a big hope @PipChick. Are you saying that Roman (NPCC) should look into fulfilling the decks because Cellar Window used NPCC as the printer?

Why should he do that if he hasn't been paid completely by the creator for both printing & fulfillment? I'm assuming that NPCC has not been paid completely for both the printing & shipping otherwise this deck would have been sitting in our collections (I am a backer too) by now.

I've seen the other thread (Don Quixote) and the comment made by PPC too. The contract and the quote were signed between Legends & Cellar Window, this design is CW's property, I don't think any other entity can lay a claim on the printed decks even if it looks like a moral high ground.

If I look at it, there are a number of creators who fled after taking backer's money (meaning the project never got fulfilled) or became non-responsive after Kickstarter campaign ended......it happens not only in playing card KS projects but in other categories too. I'll ask the question that why only Cellar Window's deck and not someone else's. May be, it is a better value or design or this gesture can generate a bit more empathy towards PPC, who knows.....my 2 cents.

Update: I went through DQ Vol 2 Comments page and observed that the creator has shared the art files with the backers and have given a kind of license to the current backers. This does make it interesting.
No, I'm not at all saying that I think that Roman should be doing any kind of work that he & NPCC hasn't been paid in full to do - whether that be printing or fulfilling orders; but I do believe that in signing a contract and (I'm sure now regrettably) forming the partnership with this creator, Roman & NPCC has to some extent a moral obligation to backers be upfront and transparent about whatever the current situation is - "Has he not received payment at all? Maybe only partial payment? If so, how partial? How much more is still needed to complete the order??" These are the questions I, as a concerned backer, am interested in to try and find a fair resolution for all affected parties involved and I don't think asking for a bit of communication from Roman of NPCC, who undoubtedly has the answers to these questions, is at all unreasonable.

Over 3 months ago (on June 6th to be exact), Roman commented on the project page to reassure backers at that time that the cards were in production and everything regarding the project was "on track"... from this, I assume(d) that he therefore had received some payment to have already started production, but I honestly don't know for certain as he hasn't updated us further about the situation. At that time, it was somewhat of a relief to hear, and I, along with other backers I'm sure, were greatly appreciative that he had taken it upon himself to even comment at all and solidify trust in NPCC to ensure, at the very least, communication & updates even when it became apparent that we were not going to get that from the creator himself - it was small glimmer of hope that perhaps these decks would eventually come to fruition; however, since then, we have yet to hear anything further and I can't help but to also feel disappointed that Roman has seemed to have also abandoned this project & backers just as the creator had...

Again, I don't expect that NPCC should absorb whatever additional costs that are required to get these decks out to backers, but just some communication would be nice so backers, like myself, don't feel like we've been left behind YET AGAIN by the partnered printer of this project. This is the same stance I would take with any KS project - playing card related or otherwise - in a similar predicament and there have been a few cases in which project collaborators and/or other partnered parties involved have taken the burden of responsibility in at least trying to help & support backers in finding some sort of resolution. I recognize that he and his company are in no way accountable for what has happened and absolutely should not be held responsible for the fraudulent actions of the creator, but the fact that Roman has decided to now go silent at such a time I think, to some extent, speaks to the integrity of NPCC. As unfortunate as the situation is for him personally and his company, I guess I expected more in regards to voicing/showing even just a small, but sincere form of solidarity with backers... is this honestly asking too much??
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

PipChick wrote:
guru wrote:

No, I'm not at all saying that I think that Roman should be doing any kind of work that he & NPCC hasn't been paid in full to do - whether that be printing or fulfilling orders; but I do believe that in signing a contract and (I'm sure now regrettably) forming the partnership with this creator, Roman & NPCC has to some extent a moral obligation to backers be upfront and transparent about whatever the current situation is - "Has he not received payment at all? Maybe only partial payment? If so, how partial? How much more is still needed to complete the order??" These are the questions I, as a concerned backer, am interested in to try and find a fair resolution for all affected parties involved and I don't think asking for a bit of communication from Roman of NPCC, who undoubtedly has the answers to these questions, is at all unreasonable.

Over 3 months ago (on June 6th to be exact), Roman commented on the project page to reassure backers at that time that the cards were in production and everything regarding the project was "on track"... from this, I assume(d) that he therefore had received some payment to have already started production, but I honestly don't know for certain as he hasn't updated us further about the situation. At that time, it was somewhat of a relief to hear, and I, along with other backers I'm sure, were greatly appreciative that he had taken it upon himself to even comment at all and solidify trust in NPCC to ensure, at the very least, communication & updates even when it became apparent that we were not going to get that from the creator himself - it was small glimmer of hope that perhaps these decks would eventually come to fruition; however, since then, we have yet to hear anything further and I can't help but to also feel disappointed that Roman has seemed to have also abandoned this project & backers just as the creator had...

Again, I don't expect that NPCC should absorb whatever additional costs that are required to get these decks out to backers, but just some communication would be nice so backers, like myself, don't feel like we've been left behind YET AGAIN by the partnered printer of this project. This is the same stance I would take with any KS project - playing card related or otherwise - in a similar predicament and there have been a few cases in which project collaborators and/or other partnered parties involved have taken the burden of responsibility in at least trying to help & support backers in finding some sort of resolution. I recognize that he and his company should not in any way be held responsible for the fraudulent actions of the creator, but the fact that Roman has decided to now go silent at such a time I think, to some extent, speaks to the integrity of NPCC and, as unfortunate as the situation is for him personally and his company, I guess I expected more in regards to voicing/showing even just a small, but sincere form of solidarity with backers... is this honestly asking too much??

If I go through his earlier response while reading between the lines, I don't think he was feeling too comfortable speaking on someone else's behalf and now he must be lamenting as to why did he post in first place. Even if he responds, it is going to be a second-hand information.
Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 12.14.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 12.14.48 AM.png (92.54 KiB) Viewed 939 times
The problem I've with this is at a fundamental level. Any resolution in such a case only benefits most outspoken backers or those who are frequenting UC or social media etc. Equal opportunity gets missed out. Same happened with Bicycle Imperium. This project ran into trouble, the issue got raised in the forum here and the creator responded assuring everyone that he will refund everyone's money. Everyone who was raising this issue here in UC got refunded......seems like end of the story but it wasn't. Majority was not refunded. Creator managed to shut down certain voices here by processing the refunds but most who didn't know it all happening then missed the opportunity.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... k/comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think with the exception of Mana, any other project that ran into similar issues has managed to provide that sort of equal opportunity to all affected backers.

PS: I love UC...great to see such things getting resolved in this forum while bringing cheers but as I said above, my issue is at a fundamental level....
PipChick

guru wrote:If I go through his earlier response while reading between the lines, I don't think he was feeling too comfortable speaking on someone else's behalf and now he must be lamenting as to why did he post in first place. Even if he responds, it is going to be a second-hand information.
But see, this is where I'm more than just mildly annoyed at this point; why must we read between the lines and speculate when the person/company closest to the creator and this project has now decided he wants to keep quiet on the matter and refuses to further involve himself, even in just acknowledging backers' aggravation. See, I read & interpret his statement as showing far more concern for the potential damage his words (or his interpreted words) could have on the creator's reputation than for the backers that have been fraudulently ripped-off, which is kinda offensive considering that, like with any KS campaign, there would never have even been a project if not for the support of backers in the first place; his loyalties as the partnered printer should always be with backers, especially if they've been scammed, and I would expect that he'd, at the very least, voice some sort of public support to show that. I'm not by any means asking that he speak on behalf of the creator, but even just stating "I hear you and I empathize with your frustrations" or "here's the situation from our end..." and fill-in us in on those details about payment or partial payment or whatever would be enough to feel like Roman/NPCC hasn't completely turned its back on us...

If Roman thinks this strategy of remaining silent on the issue will help distance himself from this project and therefore keep the reputation of NPCC from being associated with the unscrupulous actions of the creator, I'd contend that it actually has an unintended counter effect; because even though this is only one project, his silence speaks volumes as to how he's likely to manage other projects when such situations arise and, for me personally, reflects poorly on NPCC. I think we can all agree that we'd be much more confident backing a project assuredly knowing that the partnered printer involved is one that would stick by backers, even if only in public support, rather than ditch them when a creator goes MIA... :?

I was very much appreciative at the time when he did choose to comment, and I realize that his involvement puts him in a difficult situation, but at this point, does it even matter anymore how his words are interpreted? or how they may damage the creator's reputation?? Like why even continue to remain silent??? Wouldn't he want to be on the side of backers in this situation since they're likely the same group that'll be funding whatever other projects he and his company are involved with in other campaigns later on???

And I agree with you in your frustrations that resolutions need to reach ALL backers and it's unfortunate that that's still often times not the case; but at the moment, we can only tackle this issue, or others like it, one backer at a time through the means at our disposal, like here together at UC. Hopefully, with a few outspoken voices, it can encourage others to speak out against these injustices as well, but ultimately, we need to expect more from creators, and associated partners (both directly & indirectly involved) and hold them to higher standards. We need KS to also take accountability and hold creators and involved parties responsible or at least have safeguards or insurances in place to prevent such fraud from so easily occuring and protect backers. But the only way these changes will ever be made is if enough of the KS community as a whole takes action to push for these changes and I'm doubtful that this will happen any time soon, if at all :cry: But maybe we can start with the playing card community by encouraging ALL involved parties - printers included - to be more transparent and keep the lines of communication open, even when the creator goes MIA and these types of situations do arise instead of requiring backers to frantically chase after their pledges and find solutions on their own and/or among the community.

PS: I also love UC :)
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: Cabinet of Curiosities - Playing Cards - by Cellar Window

Unread post by Bradius »

And out of the mists of time I get a jolt. The Cabinet of Curiosities deck shows up on Portfolio52! I am quite intregued about the entry. And, I noticed that it is simply on someone's wish list (well mine too as I pledged for two of the things.). Well, I guess at least no one else has them either. I would be miffed if they showed up on sale elsewhere, which has happened on other campaigns where the creater sells the rewards elsewhere while stiffing their backers.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction