Ars Goetia Playing Cards on Kickstarter

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Ars Goetia Playing Cards on Kickstarter

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Great design with a horrible project page. I invited him to the forum, hope that we can help him with this project as the design is really nice.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
hexmortia

Re: Ars Goetia Playing Cards on Kickstarter

Unread post by hexmortia »

Hi!

Bael here, from the Kickstarter project.
I received your message so, here I am :)

Thanks for the design. And for the "horrible page", well... I don't know what to say haha!
It's my first project on Kickstarter and I as already said to some guys, I'm absolutely not a card game expert.
I'm just a designer and I thought it would be cool to do this kind of stuff! Exciting project!

Anyway, thank you for your interest! I'm completely all ears for advices. You know, I really want to do this project to work!! Any thoughts would be nice for me...

Thanks again!!

Bael
ARSGOETIA.FR
Logos, posters, artworks, postcards, etc.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Reposting what I said over at PCF:

good artwork and has a good chance. My first thought was why do the cards look like they were photocopied, but I see that was a style you are going for. However, it looks too similar to a fax or an image that was scanned in or copied at low resolution. Perhaps try making the background pure white or experiment with other aging techniques. My next thought was what printer, but I see in comments you are considering Make Playing Cards. Not the best choice, but a good option for low volume. However by not listing it the potential backers may question if you thought out and planned all expenses and thus may be worried about it falling apart during printing or fulfillment, but the price and funding goal are in line so maybe not as much of a concern. Either way though you should pick a printer and make that obvious.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

To start you should put more artwork of the cards to the page. You know, the rest of the courts. Also it's really important to make all court cards different, repeating court cards (all Kings the same etc.) is one of the biggest turn offs for collectors, I do hope that you show the rest of the courts to address that. Also you should upload design of the tuck box. Ace of Spades too. It says that these are going to be gilded, who is going to handle the gilding process? 12 € for a gilded deck is really cheap, I just want to make sure that you have the funds for it. It does say in the FAQ that these will be most likely printed by MPC, that should be on the page as well to make it easier for potential backers. Also what stock by MPC will these be printed in 300gsm or 310gsm or 330gsm? Personally I have to say that don't go for the 300gsm, that quality is not high standard by any means, 310gsm is acceptable. Also although MPC is alright, it would be nice to see a higher quality printer, perhaps EPCC/LPCC or Cartamundi, which would make a lot of sense as you are French. Also you should have the option to pledge for bricks (12 decks). Also this is a bit of a nitpick, but I wouldn't use the term "card game". I have seen other people from France use it, but normally the term "deck (of playing cards)" is used. Card game usually gives the implication that it is a specific game with it's own specific rules that is played with cards, such as Magic the Gathering for instance, where as this is a custom 52 card deck of poker size playing cards, so using the term "deck" or simply "playing cards" should minimize the chance for confusion. Also I would like to see some information about you as well, a small introduction would be nice. And to get more info about the deck.

Those are just some things that I can think right now.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
sms69x
Magician: Yes

Unread post by sms69x »

This is what I call a creepy deck in the most positive way! That back design is something really scary!

Now, I think you should have waited until you have all the cards done before launch the campaign. Right now it looks too blunt, and it will for sure scare most backers, which will result in the project most likely not funding.
If you allow me, let me give you some advice, use our Custom Deck Drafting Board, and post there your progress and try to get as much advice as you can from our great community, and then launch this deck again and use USPCC to print it! I sure it will then be a hit.
Great work - so far - nonetheless.
hexmortia

Hi!

I add more buying options (12 decks).
I added the printer in the description as you suggested.

The MPC site asks me for the card stock: 300gsm (smooth), 310gsm (linen), 310gsm (linen air) or 330gsm (superior smooth). I thought about the last one... is it the best for you?

I'll change the words "card game", but I can't change it everywhere. I made some mistakes that I can't correct... my bad! Beginner's mistakes you know.

Thanks again, still working on it!!

Bael
ARSGOETIA.FR
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Holy %^&* this is good artwork.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
hexmortia

Thank you very much TwoPieceFeed!
ARSGOETIA.FR