Chancellor Gilded Ultra Rare deck by Encarded

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Chancellor Gilded Ultra Rare deck by Encarded

Unread post by badpete69 »

Hey gang. As some of you may already know, Paul has produced a variant on his Chancellor deck, a gilded version with a beautiful laser etched tuck box and the deck will come in a engraved carat case. These decks were made available first to all Patreons of Paul and the deck is already basically sold-out on a deposit only pre-sale. The deck looks amazing and I cannot wait to get it next year. Here are some more details. The deck can now been seen by all on encarded.com

If you are interested in becoming a patreon of Paul and Encarded, you can find more info here. I think it is a pretty cool concept and it comes with a variety of perks

https://www.patreon.com/encarded

Only 50 decks will be released to the public
Each features a handmade, laser engraved and laser cut tuck box made from metallic bronze and black papers
The tuck is designed so that you can see the gilded deck through the eight "windows" in the side and top of the box
Original Chancellor decks will be gilded and sealed in the tuck with a classic Encarded holographic seal
Each deck will be hand numbered on the front in gold ink, 1-50
The deck will be housed in an acrylic case with a coordinating laser-engraved Chancellor theme artwork
This deck will never be created again, and each box takes about an hour to make, so it is guaranteed to be a special item

Thedissident001

Re: Chancellor Gilded Ultra Rare deck by Encarded

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

This looks amazing, but I have to say I have a number of serious misgivings about this selling format;

1. The 50 reservation slots were sold on a deposit only basis - People don’t know the final cost.

2. The 50 reservation slots were only for Patrons members who pay something akin to a membership fee for the right to “first dibs”.

3. The final delivery dates have not been advised.

4. The final number (“50”) includes some rather carefully worded chances for revision (“at this time”, “to the public”...) I’ll admit I’m by nature a cynic, but that has (so far) served me very well in this hobby.

What are my observations about this?

I have long been a fan of everything that Encarded/Paul Carpenter has produced. His offerings are first quality and his meticulous execution exceeds that of most other notable designers in the market.

I would never, however, become a “Patron”. Why?

1. The concept of paying for the “right” to purchase is quite frankly offensive. I would never support such a system on principle.
2. It is a means of artificially inflating the scarcity of one creators offerings. This will add to the process of people purchasing for the sole objective of reselling for profit.
3. It is giving one creator an “elitist” view of themselves, restricting your pool of purchasers to those who hold membership.
4. It is not sustainable on a market wise basis. What if all other creators did the same and demanded a members fee. The average serious collector would be obliged to pay several hundred dollars between all the main players before they even received a deck. This is ludicrous.
5. Defining the program as a way of “supporting the arts” is a nonsense. It is a thinly veiled cash grab and very little else. No one is foolish, why not just call it what it is?
6. What happens to poor number 51 Patron and everyone after them who wanted this gilded deck? They just miss out? But they paid their dues. Why no chocolates?

I understand this view may not be popular, and Paul is obviously more than entitled to sell things on his own terms. I would never try to dissuade anyone from buying his products as they never disappoint.

But he is asking people to buy a membership, to buy a deck, for which they won’t know the delivery date or final cost. Would you buy anything else in life on this terms??

I’d really like to hear other people’s position on this.
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Well it seems Paul is putting his new 3d Laser print up to work... Someone else lately has done something similar, though it had to do with some letterpressed machine..

Regarding the Chancellor Gilded, first we were told that only 1000 Chancellors existed and they were sold out on encarded's website, so is a bit strange that all the sudently there are 50 more to gild and sell... So one may think that in the future there will be some more "Chancellor Gilded Ultra Rare" decks... (I said "more" because the deck I have his number ###/1000 and not ###/950)

As this being a Patron exclusive, I have nothing against, though the all Patron thing is a joke in my opinion.
Having people pay up-front a month fee to have the right to "first dibs" is nothing else than a maneuver for cash grabbing. I saw that there are right now 70 Patrons, so this means that 20 of those poor guys just paid a fee for nothing! Way to go!

Paul is free to run his business as he wishes, but if he consider his costumers maybe he should start doing things a bit different.
First there's this Radia "fiasco", where he clearly choose some key words to get the deck out before showing anything about it, not only that but he sold the deck before having it, and thus there are a lot of people still wating for the deck, as there was some unexpected delay in the factory so he's still waiting for the final batch of decks to arrive (no estimate date).
Now these extra 50 Chancellors that he ?found? and luckly was able to gild and put in a fancy tuck box he printed on his new 3d laser printer. Just want to mention that I have nothing against the fact that he has some extra Chancellors (or any other deck for that matter) to do whatever he wants, but on the Chancellor page you can read "There will be just 1000 decks of Chancellor printed", which can be misleading, but when you get a deck numbered ###/1000 there's no doubt that only 1000 Chancellors exist, and thus I can't see where he got these extra 50.

So that's my thought on that, I'm kinda done with Paul, in the way that now is seeing to believe, no more buying in the dark or whatever...
badpete69

Wow interesting reactions... Patreon concept has nothing to do with paying a fee to get first dibs but its more about supporting an artist you like. I suggest you go read more on the overall concept... The getting first dibs is one of many perks that Paul has made available to supporter of his art and work. I knew that this wouldn't be for everyone so we are all entitled to our opinions

And its not 50 extra chancellor... Its leftover from the first batch as every creator always has a small private stash left over.. Its not 500 left over black decks like someone else cough cough

Anyway I am looking forward to seeing the different type of products Paul will produce going forward be it decks of cards or other goodies
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

badpete69 wrote:Wow interesting reactions... Patreon concept has nothing to do with paying a fee to get first dibs but its more about supporting an artist you like. I suggest you go read more on the overall concept... The getting first dibs is one of many perks that Paul has made available to supporter of his art and work. I knew that this wouldn't be for everyone so we are all entitled to our opinions

And its not 50 extra chancellor... Its leftover from the first batch as every creator always has a small private stash left over.. Its not 500 left over black decks like someone else cough cough

Anyway I am looking forward to seeing the different type of products Paul will produce going forward be it decks of cards or other goodies
I understand the concept of Patron and even think Paul has created interesting reward levels, the more you support the more you get, that's ok.
But in this particulary case there are 20 Patrons that didn't get the chance of getting the thing they are supporting - if you are supporting Paul for his art then playing cards are what you expect to get - simply because the guy they are supporting didn't bother to produce enough decks to cover his patrons supporters.
EDIT: Maybe this 20 patrons stated they didn't actually care about the deck and that's because Paul only produced 50.

Regarding the Chancellor numbers, nothing against Paul keeping a stash for himself to do whatever he wants, just wished he was honest about it, and on the Chancellor deck he actually printed the actual number of decks of that edition - we ?know? there are "only" 1000 decks printed, but if you do the math as of now there are 1050 (1000 Chancellor + 50 Gilded). If this isn't the case then on the Chancellor there must have been printed ###/950 (or whatever). I would prefer this, as in this case I would have an even rarer deck, otherwise I just don't know, the 1000 deck production is just a number throw in because it looks good.
badpete69

The 50 he is using is part of the 1000 so there is only still 1000 Chancellor decks in existence only 50 of them will now be gilded. When they sold out on the website you assumed 1000 sold out ... They just sold out period no one said it was the full 1000..
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

When you get a deck numbered with ###/1000 I expect that 1000 of that decks exist otherwise what's the point of numbering them? So if those 1000 are sould out is because there are no more of those decks, but seems that you and Paul have a different view on that.
My only point is that if there were only 950 decks of the original Chancellor, then it should have been numbered ###/950, just that.
badpete69

My god let it go.... At the time of the sale of the chancellor, Paul did not know he would be doing this... As with all artists /creator Paul decided recently to create something with his new laser toy. It so happened that he chose the chancellor deck because he likes it? he had some left over? who cares... anyway this is my last reply on the topic or this will never end... I think you have made your point
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

It is very interesting to hear the different thoughts on Paul's approach to his Limited Gilded Chancellor deck, but before we jump to any conclusions too quickly, let's look at things in perspective:

Patreon is just another platform in which an artist can reach out to his customer/fan base and provide exclusive experiences while generating some income for all the work they put into their products...it is not mandatory, but it has its benefits and as sms69x mentioned, the more you support, the more you get.

Please note that I am a Patron of Encarded and every pledge tier (as little as 1USD, which you only had to pay once to have access to the Gilded Chancellor deck) clearly states what you will receive (and which I am confident Paul will deliver on) and none of them say anything about a guarantee to obtain exclusive decks such as the Gilded Chancellor deck. As a perk, each patron was given due notice of the release of the Gilded Chancellor deck and thus was given fair opportunity to acquire a copy. With the fact that Paul could only afford to provide 50 decks from his private reserve, I don't see any other way to go about the release.

With that being said, it was only after more than 24 hours (patrons only had 24 hrs exclusive access to put a refundable deposit down on the deck, then it was open to the general public) that Paul announced the Gilded Chancellor decks being sold out, which meant that all patrons had plenty of time to purchase a deck. It is obvious that many choose not to and for those that did, if you don't like anything about the deck before it is finalized, including the price, you are entitled to your money back.

In regards for delivery date, as Paul mentioned in Patreon, these hand crafted products take time to make and it is difficult to give a set date on when they will be complete. With that being said, I think that Paul's track record speaks for itself and I for one am confident that the end result will be worth more than what I paid for, including my Patreon donation.

In the end, you are free to do what you wish and if you don't like how Paul handled things, then then I can understand you not supporting him, but I for one think that Paul continues to push the limits to create awesome pieces of art.
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

sms69x wrote:When you get a deck numbered with ###/1000 I expect that 1000 of that decks exist otherwise what's the point of numbering them? So if those 1000 are sould out is because there are no more of those decks, but seems that you and Paul have a different view on that.
My only point is that if there were only 950 decks of the original Chancellor, then it should have been numbered ###/950, just that.
I think you are confusing the issue. Paul clearly stated that 1000 decks were printed, but no where did he say that he put all the 1000 deck up for sale...he only stated that the decks for sale (whether it was 900 or 950 doesn't matter) were sold out. As with all other decks that Paul had made, he keeps a batch for his Private Reserve and the 50 Chancellor decks are part of this Private Reserve, simple as that.

Why must it always be a conspiracy? :?
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I'm one of those $1 Patreon pledgers who liked the idea of getting first dibs on a deck of cards. I passed on this because I don't know the final cost and don't want a deck so limited that I'd never open it.
Move on, nothing to see here.
alric
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by alric »

shermjack wrote:
sms69x wrote:When you get a deck numbered with ###/1000 I expect that 1000 of that decks exist otherwise what's the point of numbering them? So if those 1000 are sould out is because there are no more of those decks, but seems that you and Paul have a different view on that.
I think you are confusing the issue. Paul clearly stated that 1000 decks were printed, but no where did he say that he put all the 1000 deck up for sale...he only stated that the decks for sale (whether it was 900 or 950 doesn't matter) were sold out. As with all other decks that Paul had made, he keeps a batch for his Private Reserve and the 50 Chancellor decks are part of this Private Reserve, simple as that.

Why must it always be a conspiracy? :?
I don't think its a conspiracy, I suspect people's opinions on this will be primarily formed by whether they're a fan of Paul or not. I just wish people would be up front and transparent when it comes to dealings with limited numbers, or alleged rarity. One of the primary ways deck designers get us to pay higher prices for their decks is due to supposed rarity. If that's the case, you have to be transparent about the numbers. Don't round down or fudge the numbers. I don't blame sms69x for thinking the way he does. If Paul tells us 1000 decks are printed, I expect there to be exactly 1000 decks. At this point, I don't think Paul would lie to us about something like that. And if that's not the accurate number for a deck touted to be limited, then give us the exact number. When I see the words "Sold Out", I take that for face value and conclude all 1000 decks were sold. Please don't do the misleading D$D bullshit by saying somethings sold out when its not sold out. By the way, I have no problems with an artist holding a number of decks in reserve. But if Paul did that, then just be transparent from the start and clearly say, "1000 decks printed, 950 to be sold now and 50 to be held in my private reserve for special projects in the future". Easy peasy. Then when Paul comes out with an ultra-rare super pimped out version in the future, no one will question it or have suspicions because Paul laid them to rest right from the start. Its so simple. People won't have to do the mental gymnastics of concocting reasons as to why there seems to be 50 extra decks all of a sudden laying around. The only one who knows the exact numbers for sure is Paul, the rest of us are guessing.
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

I think Paul does fantastic work, and this is absolutely gorgeous.... but...

that hand written 50 totally sticks out to me.

It reminds me of when Alex Chin sent out his private reserve deck certificates with a hand written number...

It kills it

Maybe it's just me.

Jay
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

The most logical solution, in my opinion, is that Paul ordered 1000 decks, received the standard +10% making it ~1100, printed 1000 Chancellor boxes and put decks in them. These made up the 1000 he sold initially, while he had ~100 (could be 50) boxless decks to make into special versions, like this gilded one.

Assuming this is true, I'd say his statement regarding how many Chancellors were produced is true and fair, seeing as there were only 1000 decks of that version being produced and sold. Yes, he could have informed us about the extra 50-100 decks, but it's not like he had 2500 printed and is planning on re-releasing the original Chancellors (attic discovery?) or making 29 more "ultra rare" versions after this one.

Until he can clear this up himself, though, it's all just speculation.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Exclusivity of issues is part of the collecting process. Sometimes that means you order an Ambassadors Red and Grey, but don't check on the United Cardist forum and didn't know when you ordered (or too late) that there was a limited Platinum version issued. Or, you ordered five sets of Pearl and Gilded NPCCD decks, only to find out afterwards that at the 52 Plus Joker convention there was another Pearl version issued (also a platinum version). Or you weren't on Jackson Robinson's facebook or something website and found out he had a limited issue. Those are just most recent examples. In this case, Paul is working to build up a core group of collectors for his products to help build excitement around his brand. His basic cost of entry is a very modest $1 per month, but it does go up from there with increasing rewards and benefits. They may interest you, they may not. Is it a money grab? To an extent, yeah. So are a lot of other card producer's ideas. He is trying something different. I don't see it as anything other than trying to build his brand and build a small, steady stream of funding.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Even if this was widely available, I would pass since I like the original. If it was something brand new, I'll be all over it.

Since it has gilded edges, doesn't make it a tuck swap. ;)
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I'm sorry but I have to chime in here...
If I saw descriptions and renderings of this deck and found out that Paul really wanted to make it but didn't want to cut into the 1,000 decks or any other silly reason I would be PISSED. Did Paul lie or deceive people? I don't know, maybe. It's hard to say because the devil's in the details- that conversation is up for interpretation. But what really matters is did Paul INTENTIONALLY fudge the numbers? HELL NO! His reputation speaks for itself and if you think otherwise then I don't know what to tell you. He's always been as forthright as possible IMO. So the real question is, "is anyone here upset that Paul made this deck?" And if anyone answers YES to that question then they should delete their UC profile and stop collecting cards. Whether or not he cut into the Chancellor stock or used surplus decks is IRRELEVANT! This deck is beautiful and belongs in the playing card world, even if it is only in the hands of few.

Jesus.
badpete69

vasta41 wrote:I'm sorry but I have to chime in here...
If I saw descriptions and renderings of this deck and found out that Paul really wanted to make it but didn't want to cut into the 1,000 decks or any other silly reason I would be PISSED. Did Paul lie or deceive people? I don't know, maybe. It's hard to say because the devil's in the details- that conversation is up for interpretation. But what really matters is did Paul INTENTIONALLY fudge the numbers? HELL NO! His reputation speaks for itself and if you think otherwise then I don't know what to tell you. He's always been as forthright as possible IMO. So the real question is, "is anyone here upset that Paul made this deck?" And if anyone answers YES to that question then they should delete their UC profile and stop collecting cards. Whether or not he cut into the Chancellor stock or used surplus decks is IRRELEVANT! This deck is beautiful and belongs in the playing card world, even if it is only in the hands of few.

Jesus.
Amen
alric

Unread post by alric »

vasta41 wrote:IHe's always been as forthright as possible IMO. So the real question is, "is anyone here upset that Paul made this deck?" And if anyone answers YES to that question then they should delete their UC profile and stop collecting cards. Whether or not he cut into the Chancellor stock or used surplus decks is IRRELEVANT! This deck is beautiful and belongs in the playing card world, even if it is only in the hands of few.

Jesus.
Dude, chill out. The bottom line is that if Paul and all the other designers gave full transparency for all their LIMITED decks, then we wouldn't even be having discussions like this. No one questions whether the deck is beautiful. No one is upset Paul made this deck. Do not confuse artistry with transparency. And while Paul has been much better than others, he has not been as forthright as possible IMO. If there is surplus stock for an allegedly limited deck series, that is absolutely RELEVANT! And when did having an opinion merit having our UC profiles deleted and banned from collecting cards? I thought you were better than that, vasta41. At least you were in the past.

Christ
badpete69

alric wrote:
vasta41 wrote:IHe's always been as forthright as possible IMO. So the real question is, "is anyone here upset that Paul made this deck?" And if anyone answers YES to that question then they should delete their UC profile and stop collecting cards. Whether or not he cut into the Chancellor stock or used surplus decks is IRRELEVANT! This deck is beautiful and belongs in the playing card world, even if it is only in the hands of few.

Jesus.
Dude, chill out. The bottom line is that if Paul and all the other designers gave full transparency for all their LIMITED decks, then we wouldn't even be having discussions like this. No one questions whether the deck is beautiful. No one is upset Paul made this deck. Do not confuse artistry with transparency. And while Paul has been much better than others, he has not been as forthright as possible IMO. If there is surplus stock for an allegedly limited deck series, that is absolutely RELEVANT! And when did having an opinion merit having our UC profiles deleted and banned from collecting cards? I thought you were better than that, vasta41. At least you were in the past.

Christ
You see this is where I disagree.. No one has to be 100% to the letter transparent... No one owes anyone anything here. I am not saying state that 1000 decks were made when 5000 were printed but if 1000 were made and a seller sells 946, then who gives a phoque It is totally irrelevant. As long as you have 1 of the 1000 who cares how many were made available. And the only reason we are having this discussion is because a few frustrated members wanted to express their displeausre.. Sounds to me that its more about missing out on the deck than anything else... Anyway again everyone is entitled to their opinion. OOO and I lied I did make another post on this thread

Satan
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

alric wrote:And when did having an opinion merit having our UC profiles deleted and banned from collecting cards? I thought you were better than that, vasta41. At least you were in the past.
I never said to delete your UC profile if you have an opinion. What I said was you should delete your UC profile if you're upset that Paul made this deck. But as you yourself just said, "No one is upset Paul made this deck." So if you're going to call me out, please do a better job reading what I type.
alric wrote:The bottom line is that if Paul and all the other designers gave full transparency for all their LIMITED decks, then we wouldn't even be having discussions like this.
Our opinions of what transparency is must differ. IMO we shouldn't even be having discussions like this (unless of course it's obvious and egregious which I think we can all agree this case is not) and Paul is not hiding anything; nor are some of the other designers you speak of. Every single deck creator here will tell you that all printing companies print extra decks (as much as 10%?) and the actual number down to the very last deck is different with each deck. If at the start of a project the creator says, "I'm going to print 1,000 decks" and USPCC send the creator 1,078 decks, some extra run offs, some dinged, some with glue exposed on the tuck, etc. I don't expect the creator to have to release a statement after the project is over stating that there are actually 1,078 decks. To me the 1,000 is as forthright as possible. So if you find it relevant for creators to disclose every last deck, even the screwed up ones that couldn't even function as a dogs chew toy, then I completely disagree with you and think that's a very demanding and high-strung way to be in this hobby.
Now if Paul, for some magical reason, had 1,000 AND ONLY 1,000 Chancellor decks but decided to re-tuck 50 of them, then like I said above, that's a totally different conversation (did Paul lie or deceive people?). I say it's not a big deal, you say it is- who cares? Either way what's done is done. The point is if the only way that he could produce this product was to dive into the Chancellor decks then I'm sure as hell happy he did.
sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

badpete69 wrote:You see this is where I disagree.. No one has to be 100% to the letter transparent... No one owes anyone anything here. I am not saying state that 1000 decks were made when 5000 were printed but if 1000 were made and a seller sells 946, then who gives a phoque It is totally irrelevant. As long as you have 1 of the 1000 who cares how many were made available. And the only reason we are having this discussion is because a few frustrated members wanted to express their displeausre.. Sounds to me that its more about missing out on the deck than anything else... Anyway again everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I think I'm going to side with alric on this one. Of course no one has to be 100% transparent, but it would be really nice if they did, especially with their "limited" or "rare" decks. Of course no one owes us anything, but I think designers want our business. Maybe some people are bitter because they missed out on a deck they wanted and they're venting on our forum (which they can do without having to delete their profiles here), but the principle still remains true: More transparency is always a good thing.

As decks get more "limited" and as prices continue to skyrocket, designers know that there is the greatest profit margins at the ultra limited high end of the spectrum. So if we're going to shell out money at multiples of what the market standard rate is, I don't think it's unreasonable for us to ask for some absolute transparency about these allegedly "limited" numbers. Seriously, where is the big burden in this? I''m assuming deck designers don't have anything to hide, so why not give up the real numbers? Its not a difficult thing for them to do and it would put everyone's minds (even the most paranoid collectors) at ease.
vasta41 wrote:Our opinions of what transparency is must differ. IMO we shouldn't even be having discussions like this (unless of course it's obvious and egregious which I think we can all agree this case is not) and Paul is not hiding anything; nor are some of the other designers you speak of. Every single deck creator here will tell you that all printing companies print extra decks (as much as 10%?) and the actual number down to the very last deck is different with each deck. If at the start of a project the creator says, "I'm going to print 1,000 decks" and USPCC send the creator 1,078 decks, some extra run offs, some dinged, some with glue exposed on the tuck, etc. I don't expect the creator to have to release a statement after the project is over stating that there are actually 1,078 decks. To me the 1,000 is as forthright as possible. So if you find it relevant for creators to disclose every last deck, even the screwed up ones that couldn't even function as a dogs chew toy, then I completely disagree with you and think that's a very demanding and high-strung way to be in this hobby.
I'm not talking about transparency for regular print run decks, only "limited" runs. I don't consider a 1000 print run limited, most common KS decks from foreign printers (EPCC/LPCC/NPCC, etc..) are 1000 deck print runs, and they don't have USPCC +/- 10% factorial. In my mind (and no one has to agree with this) if you claim less than 250 decks printed or in existence, or if they're priced more than 3x the standard market rate of a standard custom deck, then that should trigger a higher level of transparency. Do they HAVE TO? No. Would it be nice? Yes. Again, at these numbers it shouldn't be such an onerous pain for a designer to just provide these low numbers. In fact, I would argue it would even boost future sales of their ultra limited high end decks when collectors know one designer is far more transparent than another. And if the source of your ultra limited high end deck is from an over-run of a previous standard deck run and you're putting those extras into a blinged out ultra rare tuck, just say so. It's already been proven collectors will snatch up even mere tuck swaps. So yes, even accounting for screwed up ones that can't function as a dog toy is doable for low print runs, designers are big boys and girls and they know how to count up to 1100 and it shouldn't take them too long to get there.

But hell, maybe I'm just demanding and high-strung. :D
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sinjin7 wrote:So yes, even accounting for screwed up ones that can't function as a dog toy is doable for low print runs, designers are big boys and girls and they know how to count up to 1100 and it shouldn't take them too long to get there.
I guess you guys just care more than me because I don't think the hairs need to be split that finely. So you might be right:
sinjin7 wrote:maybe I'm just demanding and high-strung. :D
:ugthink: :uggrin:
sinjin7 wrote:Maybe some people are bitter because they missed out on a deck they wanted and they're venting on our forum (which they can do without having to delete their profiles here)
PLEASE DO NOT MISQUOTE ME! I NEVER said that and also completely disagree with that statement.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

vasta41 wrote:
sinjin7 wrote:So yes, even accounting for screwed up ones that can't function as a dog toy is doable for low print runs, designers are big boys and girls and they know how to count up to 1100 and it shouldn't take them too long to get there.
I guess you guys just care more than me because I don't think the hairs need to be split that finely. So you might be right:
sinjin7 wrote:maybe I'm just demanding and high-strung. :D
:ugthink: :uggrin:
sinjin7 wrote:Maybe some people are bitter because they missed out on a deck they wanted and they're venting on our forum (which they can do without having to delete their profiles here)
PLEASE DO NOT MISQUOTE ME! I NEVER said that and also completely disagree with that statement.
You know what, vasta? If you're gonna go around telling people that they should delete their UC profile, then I think that you should delete your UC profile. [/sarcasm]
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Dear UC members, please be advised that "UnitedCardists.com" and its affiliates do not endorse the views of UC member "vasta41", and do not recommend deleting your UC profile.
:mrgreen:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

I was going to say that people saying that people saying that people should delete their UC profile should delete their UC profile should delete their UC profile, but then I realized... what's to stop someone saying that people saying that people saying that people saying that people should delete their UC profile should delete their UC profile should delete their UC profile should delete their UC profile? And, then where would we be?

I'm just saying.
This space intentionally left blank.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

That's it. I'm deleting my profile..
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk-kQSz-Qv0

Patreon has changed their billing model so each pledger will have to pay an added on ($pledge amount x 2.9%) + 0.35 for every creator they back. Creators are beyond irate and talking with Patreon about changing it because pledgers are just as mad and it's "unfair" for them to pass the credit card charges to us. I back 6 people and if Pareon keeps this policy will drop Encarded like a hot potato. Paul had a good idea imo but it might end up being a moot point about "special treatment".
Move on, nothing to see here.
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Bruno is just happy to see the word egregious used here.
My 35 yr old beard is simply beside itself.
I may have to ask Mike to incorporate this into the UC branding.
My childish beard suggests that sinjin adopt it for his first deck name.
Proceed &co .... :D
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Wow...never imagined this conversation will go in such a direction. I think this is not the first time, it has happened. I can count decks from 4 creators who did the same, limited edition on one Kickstarter and moving on to a signature or luxury edition through another which was a tuck swap (but this isn't..it comes with gilding along with a new tuck which is a different value proposition). The only difference here is that people supporting Paul on Paetron got a first chance to get the hands on this deck whereas Kickstarter is open to all and everyone can have the same shot at getting the deck (though timezones does play a factor), and most of us on UC are not active on Paetron.

PS: A critique on decks coming up with custom die cut showing gilding : The gild edged area exposed to air will appear different in a month or so as compared to rest of the unexposed area. So, better not to open this deck and keep it enclosed in the carat case. Also, chemical gilding being done by the likes of G* & MP* (not saying that this deck's gilding is done by either of the two) on a deck of cards created long ago will pale in quality and durability than the one created on a new set of cards recently cut. Restoration gilding is what can change this but you won't find Craftsmen easily who can do this or be ready to pay a premium. As this deck is limited to 50 decks, I am sure no one will be ready to open the deck to check the quality of gilding, by the way.