Elephant Playing Cards (Relaunch)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes

Elephant Playing Cards (Relaunch)

Unread post by Fud »

Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to announce that Elephant Playing Cards is now LIVE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... s-relaunch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Main Image thin.jpg
This project will feature the beautiful and intricate Desert and Tundra decks of the first project:
X - 2 Editions emboss.jpg
An, in celebration of the dark launch day, we are adding a special deck to the launch - the Limited Gilded Night edition:
N - Cards falling emboss thin.jpg
All decks have:

- 100% custom hand drawn designs
- Intricate foil on the box and highest quality printing
- Lower prices than the original lauch

And the Night edition deck also comes with gold gilding to the cards and a custom die cut tuckbox to showcase that shiny edging even when closed:
N - Gilded.jpg
Earlybird discounts will be available for 48 hours Friday through Saturday, -and there will be a site-wide discount on other EPC decks on Cyber Monday (so look out for that)

You can check out the project page and choose your pledge here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... n=fee34dbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(NOTE: Reward tiers and add-on tables to be updated)

See you there!

Ben
RDC

Re: Elephant Playing Cards (Relaunch)

Unread post by RDC »

Good luck, I hope they get funding this time around. I like these plus a gilded deck, yes please.
Oscar53955
Player: Yes

Unread post by Oscar53955 »

Glad to see these relaunching, and I plan on getting all 3 editions.
I hope it funds this time
Mankin
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 12

Unread post by Mankin »

Nice decks, goodluck with the funding this time!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I know *I'll* be there.
This space intentionally left blank.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Yep. I am in for a set also.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I'm glad there's no changes to the original two though the tucks look less blingy than the first campaign or is it just me?

Gilded is old, it'll show signs of wear overtime but I'm still getting the third deck. I like foiled backs way better than gilding.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Thanks Everyone :)

The launch will go LIVE on:

Friday 24th November (Black Friday)
6am PST, 9am EST
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

You will need luck with like 100 card projects going on right now
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Elephant Playing Cards (Relaunch) - LIVE on KS

Unread post by Fud »

Project is now LIVE!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... s-relaunch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm in! I really hope this not only funds, but hits the stretch goal for the Tundra decks.
Mankin
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 12

Unread post by Mankin »

Backed the dessert deck, goodluck with this one!
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I got a set on the relaunch, but just one set, so they are unopened. If anyone is interested. http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/ has these for sale at a good price. The Tundra and Desert versions are $10.01 each and the Night version, which is gilded is $23.10. Heck, that is a little less than I paid on Kickstarter, and no waiting.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I hope Ben is here and that he takes these thoughts in the constructive spirit they are offered. I did not post these comments to the project itself because I didn't feel there was much to be gained by being critical there.

In general, I favor Ben's work and have very much enjoyed the Pipmen and Prism series. Likewise, I was looking forward to his take on the "standard" courts in this deck.

The manufacturing was done by WJP, who have produced some decent decks, if I recall correctly (Montezi, they produced your Tiki decks, did they not?) and some... well, let's just say "more difficult to love" decks (RJTomlinson's Civil War decks, which were otherwise quite excellent.). These decks fall into the same camp as the Civil War decks.

The card stock is really thick and sturdy; I have no doubt that these will hold up to repeated regular game play. However, they are also extremely clumpy; they fan for sh*t and are ridiculously stiff and unpleasant to handle. They have no "glide".

And, while the idea behind the artwork is good, the printing leaves something to be desired, and I'm not sure if that's a problem with the printing process itself or if the art files that were sent to WJP were weak. I wish I could better articulate what it is about the printing that leaves me wanting, but it just feels like the color palette and the line art are not working together to form as bold a finished product as I had expected.

I don't want this to come across as discouraging to Ben; he really does put together some very creative work, and based upon what we saw during the campaign, I expected this one to be a proud addition to my collection of "standard" decks.

I'm more inclined to think that the problem here lies with the manufacturer than with Ben's design. His Pipmen World Full Art decks printed by MPC on smooth stock use *essentially* the same art as his other Pipmen World decks, and yet the ones printed by LPCC were so very much better than the ones printed by MPC, I almost wanted to return the MPC decks.

So, my constructive feedback with regard to future projects: As long as Ben is having his decks produced by quality manufacturers, I'm all on board. But, when MPC or WJP's smooth or less-expensive options are the choice, they do his excellent design work a disservice.
Oscar53955

Unread post by Oscar53955 »

The main reason Ben printed the decks with WJP was because it failed to fund the first time. The decks were supposed to be printed by Legends. The first campaign only garnered less than half the amount needed (about $7000). So Ben had to make that compromise in order to have the decks made.

But yes, the fact that they were printed by WJP is a let-down. The quality is definitely not on par with the big three companies (USPCC, Legends, and Expert).
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup. Completely understood. And, there've been many times I've said, I'd rather own one of these printed by MPC than have it not exist at all. However, reality is testing me on those notions....
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

rousselle wrote:Well, I hope Ben is here and that he takes these thoughts in the constructive spirit they are offered. I did not post these comments to the project itself because I didn't feel there was much to be gained by being critical there.

In general, I favor Ben's work and have very much enjoyed the Pipmen and Prism series. Likewise, I was looking forward to his take on the "standard" courts in this deck.

The manufacturing was done by WJP, who have produced some decent decks, if I recall correctly (Montezi, they produced your Tiki decks, did they not?) and some... well, let's just say "more difficult to love" decks (RJTomlinson's Civil War decks, which were otherwise quite excellent.). These decks fall into the same camp as the Civil War decks.

The card stock is really thick and sturdy; I have no doubt that these will hold up to repeated regular game play. However, they are also extremely clumpy; they fan for sh*t and are ridiculously stiff and unpleasant to handle. They have no "glide".

And, while the idea behind the artwork is good, the printing leaves something to be desired, and I'm not sure if that's a problem with the printing process itself or if the art files that were sent to WJP were weak. I wish I could better articulate what it is about the printing that leaves me wanting, but it just feels like the color palette and the line art are not working together to form as bold a finished product as I had expected.

I don't want this to come across as discouraging to Ben; he really does put together some very creative work, and based upon what we saw during the campaign, I expected this one to be a proud addition to my collection of "standard" decks.

I'm more inclined to think that the problem here lies with the manufacturer than with Ben's design. His Pipmen World Full Art decks printed by MPC on smooth stock use *essentially* the same art as his other Pipmen World decks, and yet the ones printed by LPCC were so very much better than the ones printed by MPC, I almost wanted to return the MPC decks.

So, my constructive feedback with regard to future projects: As long as Ben is having his decks produced by quality manufacturers, I'm all on board. But, when MPC or WJP's smooth or less-expensive options are the choice, they do his excellent design work a disservice.
Well, Bharata Series 2 has been produced by them and they have told me that they have embossed the cards with a special cardistry finish/ varnish which has been used by them on very few decks made for Cardists. Never got the name of those decls as it was confidential and initially, I was skeptical of such a claim because my order size was not large enough that they will go out of the way but after looking vat the pictures they shared, I thought may be.

The problem is that the package with decks sent over to me got returned as I didn't check the notification from the courier. Now, I am awaiting another package that has been sent to me by the fulfillment provider.

Please do comment on the relevant thread in case anyone here receive their rewards for Bharata Series 2 deck Kickstarter.