Bicycle Emoji

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
CBJ
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Bicycle Emoji

Unread post by CBJ »

Available at Walgreens

20170910_210546.jpg
20170910_210546.jpg (98.18 KiB) Viewed 990 times
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Bicycle Emoji

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Kill it! Kill it before it lays eggs!
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

This is one of mine!

I did this one directly with USPCC and CPC.

I'm sure a lot of you will hate this one, but it's not meant for the collectors. It's meant for the general public, and their kids.

My goal with the Bicycle EMOJI Deck was to create a Deck that kids would love, and one that was tasteful enough for their parents to actually play games with their kids.

Here's some photos I took of the Cards and Tuck.

thanks, Randy
Attachments
EMOJIPhotoA.jpg
EMOJIPhotoB.jpg
EMOJIPhotoC.jpg
EMOJIPhotoE.jpg
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Here's a few more photos.

When I created the PIP Emojis, I built a starting point that contained 4 different sets of eyebrows, 4 different sets of eyes, 4 different sets of mouthes and a handful of unique features like Heart Eyes, the Halo, Sunglasses, Tear Drops.... Between all of those different options, I think I ended up with only 2-6 different faces that were used more than once.

thanks, Randy
Attachments
EMOJIPhotoF.jpg
EMOJIPhotoG.jpg
EMOJIPhotoI.jpg
EMOJIPhotoJ.jpg
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

The Ace of Poop! I love it!

Talk about being dealt a crappy hand.
This space intentionally left blank.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Love the sad heart on KoH!
Move on, nothing to see here.
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

Randy, if I may ask, why the repeating emojis and horizontal line in the middle of the card back design?
On the tuck front you use a much more diverse emoji set, and then on the card back there's a tiny subset of emojis that just repeat and then are jarringly broken up by a dividing line.

It feels to me that it could have been done in a more seamless way to get the card back to just look like a giant array of different emojis, made two-way by a diagonal split in sides, and using different emojis like the red ones and the animals and such would let you create a unique color pattern on the back as laid out to your artistic taste.

All of this said by the way, I actually don't think this is a bad project, kids would love this kind of thing, so much to look at on each card that they would have a social connection to.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

shaitani wrote:Randy, if I may ask, why the repeating emojis and horizontal line in the middle of the card back design?
On the tuck front you use a much more diverse emoji set, and then on the card back there's a tiny subset of emojis that just repeat and then are jarringly broken up by a dividing line.
I expect it's to keep the back a two-way design.
shaitani

PrincessTrouble wrote:
shaitani wrote:Randy, if I may ask, why the repeating emojis and horizontal line in the middle of the card back design?
I expect it's to keep the back a two-way design.
I'm not sure if you thought that I meant zero repeating, because there obviously needs to be at least one duplicate for each emoji to make it symmetric, I was referring to not having duplicates on the same side (look at the sunglasses or heart-eyes emojis, they have 4 total on the card back when only 2 are needed).

If you're referring to layout, well, card backs don't need to be vertically symmetric or divided so abruptly to be two-way designs, you just need to maintain rotational symmetry, here's two quick examples I just put together to illustrate what I was referring to. These are two-way and don't break up the top and bottom abruptly. I'm sure there are better layout designs, but this is just to illustrate.

Image Image
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey Shaitani,

I definitely played around with adding the non-Yellow Emojis to the Back Card - including a spade shape, a diamond shape, and a couple other options. They all just looked too busy. The options with all Yellow Emojis just looked cleaner.

As for the Yellow divider line, I also payed around with a few options with and without it. Plus a couple other options with different divider types. It was my professional design opinion that the simple Yellow line looked the best. Even without a physical divider, the two halves of Emojis had definite visual separation to them (mostly due to the head-to-head Emojis facing each other where the two halves meet).

Thanks, Randy
shaitani

RandyButterfield wrote:Hey Shaitani,

I definitely played around with adding the non-Yellow Emojis to the Back Card - including a spade shape, a diamond shape, and a couple other options. They all just looked too busy. The options with all Yellow Emojis just looked cleaner.

As for the Yellow divider line, I also payed around with a few options with and without it. Plus a couple other options with different divider types. It was my professional design opinion that the simple Yellow line looked the best. Even without a physical divider, the two halves of Emojis had definite visual separation to them (mostly due to the head-to-head Emojis facing each other where the two halves meet).

Thanks, Randy
Thank you Randy, the response with your thought process is much appreciated.
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

If i designed the back I would make an even number of columns with the whole column facing the same direction alternating direction from one column to another. It would be two way and mash together in a way that isnt as jarring as the solid line. The main issue I could see with that is the size of the emojis needing to be adjusted and maybe this size with 13 columns is optimal.

Anyway, considering how shitty (pun intended) the theme is this deck looks fantastic and I will definitely be stopping by a Walgreens sometime soon to pick one up.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I stopped by Walgreens today to pick these up, and they were having a sale on single decks of cards: buy one, get one free! This was in Bellevue, WA. I don't know if this is a nationwide sale (although, I did hit *two* stores in Bellevue, and both had this sale going on). There were several CPC decks available, as well, which meant it was possible to pick up several decks that were $10 via kickstarter for $4 + tax each at Walgreens (assuming you bought multiples of two.)

Anyway, got a bunch of Emoji decks for a steal, as well as some others. If you have a Walgreens nearby, now's a good time to visit their playing card end caps.
This space intentionally left blank.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I got these from my local Walgreens too, like $4. Without it being that price, it's a nice designed deck so no complaints. Walgreens also had the Bicycle Aurora deck which was a Kickstarter deck which was $4 too I think. I bought it.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586