Thirdway Industries - Lunatica

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes

Thirdway Industries - Lunatica

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

Hello guys, a little preview of my new project, that will be Kickstarted after the delivery of Eva and SINS :mrgreen:

If you want to see more, start here >>> http://www.thirdway.it/lunatica/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
king.jpg
altqueen.jpg
jack.jpg
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Re: Thirdway Industries - Lunatica

Unread post by shaitani »

Reminiscent of the Good/Evil decks.
A departure from the traditional Giovanni style we've seen over the last few projects, and I gotta say I'm loving it. Can't wait for this.
I don't know much about these neon inks, but sounds really unique and interesting as applied to this project.

Here are the tucks from the site:
Attachments
Screen_012.png
JuFiN
Player: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

The more Giovanni decks the better! :ugdance: :ugdance:

Speaking of evil deck, if anyone has an extra please PM me as it is the only Giovanni deck I dont yet own :)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

shaitani wrote:Reminiscent of the Good/Evil decks.
A departure from the traditional Giovanni style we've seen over the last few projects, and I gotta say I'm loving it. Can't wait for this.
I don't know much about these neon inks, but sounds really unique and interesting as applied to this project.

Here are the tucks from the site:
Agree- A departure from his style, but loving what I see here.

I'm sure tucks will look great in reality because of Neon inks than what is shown in the render. I've got 2 decks using neon inks, one was just okay but the other Glitch 2.0 is an altogether different concept and looked much better with neon inks.
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Technically this isn't a full-bleed back, so I would prefer to see white borders on the backs so they would match the white background of the faces. In more cases than not, I'm finding myself staying away from decks that have different colored back borders from the faces, unless it is a true full-bleed back design.
shaitani

sinjin7 wrote:... I'm finding myself staying away from decks that have different colored back borders from the faces, unless it is a true full-bleed back design.
That seems... awfully specific for a criteria. What's the issue with that? More noticeable when it takes small nicks of damage?
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

shaitani wrote:
sinjin7 wrote:... I'm finding myself staying away from decks that have different colored back borders from the faces, unless it is a true full-bleed back design.
That seems... awfully specific for a criteria. What's the issue with that? More noticeable when it takes small nicks of damage?

Yeah...I would also like to know more about it. I think John mentioned about his criteria on some other thread too. This insight might help in understanding if an issue surfaces after handling a deck with such a design or if there is some other reason behind it.
Kage X

Unread post by Kage X »

KOH looks Delirium-ish
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Yes, there's a mild Deliriumishness to this one, which makes me ponder... when is Delirium's sibling going to get printed? (I don't recall it's name at the moment, but it was the one that was going to be produced as a stretch goal that wasn't attained at the time.)
This space intentionally left blank.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

BRB, scraping together pennies
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

shaitani wrote:
guru wrote:Yeah...I would also like to know more about it. I think John mentioned about his criteria on some other thread too. This insight might help in understanding if an issue surfaces after handling a deck with such a design or if there is some other reason behind it.
From a magician's point of view, double-lifts and some color changes are more difficult to execute, and certain sandwich affects would be impossible without back borders that are colored to match the front faces of the cards. Similarly, any tricks that require a card turned over in a pack and then spread would be immediately be given away, making such a deck unusable for those categories of tricks.

From a cardist's point of view, having a (thin) white back border gives definition to fans and allows you to easily tell if a fan or spread is perfectly and evenly executed. Granted, certain full-bleed backs allow for very visually interesting fans and spreads, but most full-bleed backs just camouflage sloppy fanning and is a crutch for the less skilled.

From a personal preference point of view, if a back design isn't a true full-bleed (where the back pattern/design extends all the way to the edges), then you'll have a border between the back design and the edge of the cards, an in those instances my personal preference is to have that back border color be consistent with the front of the deck, which is usually white. With the Lunatica deck, there is definitely a border in the back design, but Giovanni chose to color it the same as the rest of the color of the back instead of white to match the color of the fronts. My expectation is that this deck will produce fairly bland fans.

For some (maybe most), they don't notice or care or mind about such details or card design "rules". For me, it is an aesthetic preference in addition to the aforementioned technical reasons for magicians and cardists. I guess I just want to have the most potential utility for my decks in addition to great looking design.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello guys :)

@shaitani - You're absolutely right about the reminescence of my previous decks - Lunatica include elements from all the decks I designed so far - it's a bit crazy like Evil Deck and Delirium, but have an Omnia and SINS vibe. It's a bit more simple than Eva and SINS - let's say it's "minimalistic", compared to them. :mrgreen:

Neon inks are special colors, like Metallic inks - they can't be obtained with a CYMK combination, they need to be printed with a specific Pantone code. I have them printed and are really awesome :) I did my best to use most neon colors as possible - probably the final result would be even brighter than the render I did. Every version of Lunatica will use a neon color on back and 3 (!) on faces :mrgreen:
One name I evaluated for this project was "NEON" hehe

@JuFiN - Evil Deck is sold out on my website, but I still have few in Italy that I can sell (and sign, if you want!). If you want one send me a mail at giovanni-at-thirdway.it :)

@guru - Tucks are simple, but I think they'll be very nice - I decided for neon color on smooth stock (I usually prefer matte stock for tucks)

@sinjin - I'm still uncertain about white border - I probably prefer a "wall of neon" for this project, and that's the reason of the "full-bleed". I thought it was very cool for cardistry - however, I am open to feedbacks, if many prefer the white border, I can change it.

@Kage X - Yes! :mrgreen:

@Rousselle - I still have the files for Delirium Insomnia --- but usually I prefer design something new :mrgreen: . However, now that Delirium is sold out, I have to admit I thought to print Insomnia, maybe with some changes. If there is interest in it, I'll do that for sure!

@portcullis - lol :)

Thank you for the feedbacks!
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
serubi

Unread post by serubi »

This looks really nice! Who will be printing these?
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

serubi wrote:This looks really nice! Who will be printing these?
I'm still evaluating, but I think USPCC - I prefer wait to confirm this until I have an Eva deck in my hands (Gamblers Warehouse is assembling Eva those days - so far I just saw pics and everything looks very good)

USPCC should be one of the best option for a cardistry oriented deck and I like their relatively fast delivery time.

:-)

Oh, since you're asking, I have some questions to all. In the case I'll use USPCC - you guys prefer bee stock / traditionally cut or crushed decks? I am evaluating to do those upgrades, maybe stretch goals, maybe included from the start.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sinjin7 wrote:For some (maybe most), they don't notice or care or mind about such details or card design "rules". For me, it is an aesthetic preference in addition to the aforementioned technical reasons for magicians and cardists. I guess I just want to have the most potential utility for my decks in addition to great looking design.
I very much agree and this is one of my biggest pet peeves (when back border colors don't match the face border color). I would prefer white borders as well but either way a nice deck. And while different, you can definitely still tell it's Gio!
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature

Unread post by JuFiN »

I agree that a white border is certainly more functional and practical, but at the same time the full neon back matches the bright kinda wild theme of the deck more. I'm pretty split on which I would prefer honestly.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

@Vasta - I'm happy you think it's different but my style it's recognizable :-)

@JuFiN - haha I'm splitted as well - @guys let me know which option do you prefer more, I can switch to white if many think it's better.
maxs

Unread post by maxs »

sinjin7 wrote: For some (maybe most), they don't notice or care or mind about such details or card design "rules". For me, it is an aesthetic preference in addition to the aforementioned technical reasons for magicians and cardists. I guess I just want to have the most potential utility for my decks in addition to great looking design.
I agree with @sinjin7 on the borders. Two things that came to my mind.
1. IMO neon colors work best in combination with other neon colors, so I would swap the dark blue/purple on the backs/tucks for another neon color (pink?) for a real neon treat.
2. I think orange is not the "strongest" neon color, have you tried neon green instead of orange?
Just my 2¢...
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Since you have a line in blue and purple boxing the card back art I think a white border would look better.

I think you need moons on the tuck to go with the Luna theme. You have them on the teaser page so why not the tuck?
Move on, nothing to see here.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks for the feedbacks on the white borders - it helps and I will probably change them :)

@Maxs - Neon colors have the same "color depth", so if I won't use at least a dark color, I would have a very "flat" result even with different colors (like use red an green together). I did a lot of proofs to find the right balance, Neon colors are really difficult to combine, I think.

Don't worry, neon orange is strong, I have printed samples :-) Also green is very cool, and I'm going to use it on the faces.

@RichK - I haven't revealed everything............. :uggrin:
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Image Image Image
Neon colors, love it. I'll be a backer for sure.
This looks differnt from your past projects but familiar, the courts look funny :D

Thirdway Industries wrote: Also green is very cool, and I'm going to use it on the faces.
How about a 3rd deck in green ? Limited like Suprema, Magnifica & Apeiron.
Thirdway Industries wrote:Oh, since you're asking, I have some questions to all. In the case I'll use USPCC - you guys prefer bee stock / traditionally cut or crushed decks?
I would prefer crushed stock ;)
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Bee Stock.
What's left of it.
Definitely Bee.
Oh yair, also ....
Full neon bodied full bleed back.
USPCC being absolutely the most useless effectors of the otherwise thinnest of borders everyone wants but knows are un-do-able.
You will end up with the normal fat failure they always deliver cos, excuses.
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
shaitani

Azid wrote: How about a 3rd deck in green ? Limited like Suprema, Magnifica & Apeiron.
I miss the days when decks only came in pairs and not 3s or 5s or dozens of different colors and variations.
That said, because each of these two decks is different art, a third deck that somehow mixes them wouldn't be a terrible idea.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

@Azid - the courts are very silly haha - and some have pets :P
I'm glad you like the new style.

About the 3rd deck--- I haven't revealed everything :uggrin:

@Bruno - thank you for the feedback - I know about Uspcc registration and Lunatica was designed to avoid the issue as most as possible (full bleed and courts perfectly inside the USPCC "safe area") .
Unfortunately every printer have their pros and cons - I hope that everything will go smooth whatever my printer choice will be :mrgreen:
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

shaitani wrote:
Azid wrote: How about a 3rd deck in green ? Limited like Suprema, Magnifica & Apeiron.
I miss the days when decks only came in pairs and not 3s or 5s or dozens of different colors and variations.
That said, because each of these two decks is different art, a third deck that somehow mixes them wouldn't be a terrible idea.
I don't know about other creators, but for myself, the reason that I like made more variations at once is that the production time is so long that is wise produce many decks in a row to avoid to wait ages just to have one design (of course I am talking about resonable variations, launch dozen color swaps is not my cup of tea).
Also, it's better because it allow me/backers to save a bit on shipping cost.

On the other side, launch a 3 decks project is complex as hell :-) That's the reason I sometimes launch single decks projects like Eva and Pantheon.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Regarding the matching edges of back/faces issue: Everyone always goes straight to white borders on the back, without even considering the obvious other solution: Make the faces' edges match the back design.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
shaitani

Thirdway Industries wrote: I don't know about other creators, but for myself, the reason that I like made more variations at once is that the production time is so long that is wise produce many decks in a row to avoid to wait ages just to have one design (of course I am talking about resonable variations, launch dozen color swaps is not my cup of tea).
Also, it's better because it allow me/backers to save a bit on shipping cost.

On the other side, launch a 3 decks project is complex as hell :-) That's the reason I sometimes launch single decks projects like Eva and Pantheon.
You're one of the few Gio, you put enough care into the variations that I'll always back yours.
I haven't been disappointed yet, and I didn't mean my comment as a slight, more like I'm translating my wallet sighing.
MagikFingerz wrote:Regarding the matching edges of back/faces issue: Everyone always goes straight to white borders on the back, without even considering the obvious other solution: Make the faces' edges match the back design.
I wonder if the reason is that it creates a "sandwiched" appearance, like... neon back -- white stock -- neon front. Making it harder for magic since double lifts or whatever are more easily noticed. The future is in colored stock!
serubi

Unread post by serubi »

Thirdway Industries wrote:
serubi wrote:This looks really nice! Who will be printing these?

Oh, since you're asking, I have some questions to all. In the case I'll use USPCC - you guys prefer bee stock / traditionally cut or crushed decks? I am evaluating to do those upgrades, maybe stretch goals, maybe included from the start.
Crushed stock <3
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Pennies counted. Colour me enthusiastic insta-backer
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

MagikFingerz wrote:Regarding the matching edges of back/faces issue: Everyone always goes straight to white borders on the back, without even considering the obvious other solution: Make the faces' edges match the back design.
I usually look at that as a first option but to me, that wouldn't work with this deck. At least I don't think so... if anyone can pull something off it's Gio!
Also, please oh pretty please go with USPCC. That's one of my favorite parts of this deck.