Thirdway Industries - Lunatica

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
portcullis
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 440

Re: Thirdway Industries - Lunatica

Unread post by portcullis »

serubi wrote:Now live!

Also, I'm backer #1 :P
Photos or it didn't happen!

I got mine/ A tiny tiny bit more than I budgeted, but it's Gio so worth every cent.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

I came here to post Lunatica link, but you guys are faster. Lol :mrgreen:

>> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for your support !!! :-)
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cardician_82

Unread post by Cardician_82 »

Easy pass for me.

Same old same old from this creator. The last two designs look the same and I don't know where this creator believes his 24 deck bundle with 2 bonuses (usually a sticker or extra card) is worth $600 retail when the ltd decks are a tuck swap.

You may think your decks carry that kinda markup on the aftermarket but they don't. So to be posting what the retail value "would/could" be is a bit soft just to sell decks.

I'm sure this will fund like most of your 2 dimensional drawing decks do. Until you start creating something other then what I and others have watched for the last few years I won't be backing your decks anytime soon!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Re: Thirdway Industries - Lunatica -- LIVE on KS

Unread post by rousselle »

Added Kickup to original post.

Looking forward to seeing these in my collection!
This space intentionally left blank.
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

I love these, but my desire to have at least two of every deck means I need to pass on this one. Too many other pledges still in the pipeline.
serubi
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by serubi »

portcullis wrote:
Photos or it didn't happen!

I got mine/ A tiny tiny bit more than I budgeted, but it's Gio so worth every cent.

You asked, and I delivered.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

;) Congrats to you and congrats to our benevolent leader on funding in the last couple of minutes.

As I said, I had my pledge confirmed at 1 minute after launch and was #21. Beat my card collecting buddy tho, and that's all that matters 8-)
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I nearly missed out as I had a meeting right when the campaign started. Anyway, I managed to snag one of the last earl bird sets I wanted, so all good for me. But, wow! That is awesome and thanks for the head's up here it was coming. Your stuff just gets sold out fast. I can't wait to learn about the stretch goals you have planned.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

My phone kickstarter app didnt let me pledge fast enough! Got an early bird though which is good.

This one funded pretty fast! Congrats
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Wow, we're already funded, in around 2 hours from the launch!
I am always happy and impressed by my backers support, you guys rocks!

Now let's break some stretch goal :-)

@Cardician_82 - Well...I think that Lunatica is quite different than my other projects, for many reasons. Of course, my style is strong and recognizable, but I think it's a good thing.
There are a lot of artists if you wish a completely different style :) Anyways, thank you for sharing your thoughts!

@vedus - this was one of my main concerns about the 4 decks projects - I tried to keep the price balanced and give different options - but I understand your point. I won't make many 4-decks projects, anyway, I think the next one will be much easy, maybe just one deck (I haven't decided yet).

@Serubi - wow :D
It's really cool to see the #1 pledge :P

@portcullis - Thank you! Even #21 means you're there from the start, and it's awesome for me :)
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Congratulations for funding this fast + reaching the first strech goal.

Imo this deck is very differnt to the last 6 projects, the style is more simplistic. That use of colors is something you see almost nowhere, how many decks have that much bright colours ? I like that !
The courts are hilarious and that bees & cats :lol: Lovely.
About the tuck swap.. it's ok, i'll get them, but i would have prefered a third differnt deck instead.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Cardician_82 wrote:Easy pass for me.

Same old same old from this creator. The last two designs look the same and I don't know where this creator believes his 24 deck bundle with 2 bonuses (usually a sticker or extra card) is worth $600 retail when the ltd decks are a tuck swap.

You may think your decks carry that kinda markup on the aftermarket but they don't. So to be posting what the retail value "would/could" be is a bit soft just to sell decks.

I'm sure this will fund like most of your 2 dimensional drawing decks do. Until you start creating something other then what I and others have watched for the last few years I won't be backing your decks anytime soon!
Honestly I don't understand you at all. First of all the style is completely different from any of his projects. Yeah, yeah there is small similarity on some of the details but honestly calling it same old same old is very very wide stretch. And also, I would buy a 100 decks different decks from Giovani in the same style, if only the have a different themes and design, and guess what all of them have that. It's not the style the cards are made in that matters, it's the design and themes. It's also fun to see a bit fun, cooky, wacky designed deck from Giovanni as all his other decks (other than Delirium) have been very serious and have been very dramatic. I don't mind that at all, but I am almost always happy to see occaisional playful and fun deck.

That being said, I do find some drawbacks. The queens are the best designed cards in this deck and I find them a bit too repetitive, it's mostly that 3 of them are in almost completely same posture. Also I am not a fan of tuck swaps, so those limited editions don't really offer that much to me. These things bug me a bit but in no way not enough for me not to like this project. Currently (at 23.9.17) in my TOP 100 decks list I have Dedalo at number 9, Omnia: The Golden Age at number 23 and Omnia at 37. When I eventually get these I imagine I will rank them somewhere more close to the original Omnia than Dedalo or Omnia: TGA.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
snsdmonkey

Unread post by snsdmonkey »

Cardician_82 wrote:Easy pass for me.

I agree with this. Gio has a certain style which unfortunately, I don't think will translate over may different "types" of decks because of it's relative simplicity. I'm not doubting it looks good though and have been a strong backer of his decks in the past.

The secondary market also agrees, despite the more "limited" nature of some of his decks, they just don't hold up at all. Knock Jackson all you guys want but when it comes to his pure artistic ability, it's intricate and can be replicated over many different themes and designs as he chooses.
flashcards
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

I'll admit- I didn't rush over to KS for the start of this campaign. I figured that the way things have been going lately, even the basic deck was probably going to be about $30. I was pleasantly shocked to see that a pair could be had for about $13 each, including US shipping. I collect cards, not boxes, so I have zero interest in LE tucks. For me that means 2 decks by one of the industries top designers for about the same price most of the crappy decks are going for theses days. The final thing that pushed me over the edge is the USPCC printing. I'm passing on a lot of projects lately either because of the cost or the printer. Gio's designs on USPCC quality stock made this a must-have. Thank you, Giovanni for bucking the trend of premium priced LE decks by MPC or $90 decks that I would be afraid to open even I could afford them. Lunatica looks like cards I will open and enjoy. I hope others will look at the success of your campaign and choose to follow your example. Excellent original artwork on quality cards at a reasonable price. Is that really too much to ask of designers these days? I think Lunatica will prove that it is not. Best of luck with the campaign.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

@Azid @Räpylätassu - Thank you for the kind comment and feedbacks! Are useful for next projects!

@snsdmonkey - Actually, I don't want to make completely different "types" of decks: I, and (I think) my main customer base, want a recognizable Thirdway Industries style on all the projects I do.
Some elements are similar on purpose, not because I can't do differently --- Anyway, Lunatica is designed from scratches, and I think it's enough different than Eva, SINS, Dedalo and Omnia to be funny and meaningful.

I respect your opinion and I agree that there are many awesome artists that can efficently change their style in every project they make, of course. I'm probably not of them - for now :)

About the secondary market, I have a simple rule: I never wholesale my Limited Editions. This means that apart Kickstarter backers (that can't buy my LE in bulk anyway), everyone else have to buy the limited editions on my website or from backers themselves. Usually, most of my LE are sold on Kickstarter, so the few I have available are very rare and pricey. I tend to raise price when my decks are almost out of stock.
Using this rule, I control the price of my LE entirely, and I can guarantee that KS backers will have the best price available for a limited edition (for example, on Kickstarter Omnia Suprema was sold at $20 ...)
Of course I can't guarantee that you may be able to re-sell a deck at a higher price than you bought it, but I can guarantee, at least, that you won't find a better deal than Kickstarter in future.

Flashcards - Thank you, I'm happy you like the project :-) I did my best to offer different solutions to please a lot of different kind of people.

Guys, I'm thinking to use Crushed Bee Stock as the next two stretch goals, and I'm also evaluating "traditional cut".
Crush, bee stock and traditional cut add some cost on my side, so I want to be sure it's worthwile for you - what do you think?
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello Guys!

We unlocked crushed Bee Stock on Lunatica Cards - I hope it's a good improvement :-)

I also launched a little contest...if you're reading here I think you should already have all my previous decks, but if you want some extra freebies, I just launched a nice contest to promote the campaign (the prize is a Omnia Perduta and a Dedalo Apeiron). If you want to partecipate, here is the link > https://www.facebook.com/thirdwayindust ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

Thank you for the awesome support!!!
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello UC friends - I ve just unlocked the Lunar Eclipse coin on Lunatica >
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... ts/2005789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
coin_mini.jpg
coin_mini.jpg (139.52 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
I also unlocked a valuable add-on, the inner holofoil on Chimera and Phoenix decks.
Here is a render:
rendering_inner_mini.jpg
rendering_inner_mini.jpg (230.44 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
I hope you like those add-ons! :ugdance:

Have a great day!
serubi

Unread post by serubi »

Thirdway Industries wrote: I also unlocked a valuable add-on, the inner holofoil on Chimera and Phoenix decks.
That interior is HOT!
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

serubi wrote:
Thirdway Industries wrote: I also unlocked a valuable add-on, the inner holofoil on Chimera and Phoenix decks.
That interior is HOT!
Damn right! I couldn't believe how quickly the very few Chimera + Phoenix only pledges disappeared on launch, but lo and behold a few days later I randomly checked the project page and holy crap somebody dropped one and I was quick enough to snap it up. Inner holofoil here I come :D
chewbrandon

Unread post by chewbrandon »

Gio's stuff is always extremely intricate in design and well worth it.

Just received his SINS and EVA set and it doesn't disappoint at all.

I've been making it a mission to collect all his stuff. Can't wait for this one!
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

@serubi @adonael @brandon - thank you guys :-)

Yes, Lunatica should be nice as Eva - I'm keeping the same producers (USPCC/Clove St/Gamblers). I have saw just samples of holographic foils so far...and they're incredible! If they are good as I hope, the limited editions will be stunning.

The holofoil I'll use on interior will be different than the one I'll use on front: I'll use holo-silver on front and holo-blue and holo-violet on inner - hopefully it will be crazy.

The campaign is almost over - as always I won't allow preorders on limited items and there won't be BackerKit.
Lunatica have a really aggressive price on Kickstarter, compared to my other projects - especially on higher tiers - all those "early prices" will expire when the campaign will be closed. If you are on the fence, get them now ;-)

I'm preparing some suprises for all Lunatica backers :-)

There will be a terrific closing party :ugdance:

Thank you for the awesome support!!!
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

A huge thank you for all the UC members who backed Lunatica!

I just sent a big update > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... ts/2018133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is an huge Halloween Sale on http://www.thirdwayindustries.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; btw :)
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello UC!

Lunatica is going well - coins are produced (pic below) and cards are being produced. I hope to have great news soon!

Meanwhile, there is a Cyber Monday sale on Lunatica - only for today, I'm allowing preorder of coins and limited edition, with a good discount (less than KS, but good, I hope). If you're interested, here is the link >> http://www.thirdwayindustries.com/produ ... _order=asc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
89fa258f07b6c60c34b96dbad327e41f_original.jpg
89fa258f07b6c60c34b96dbad327e41f_original.jpg (152.16 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
Have a great Cyber Monday!

Giovanni
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I just recieved Lunatica in Italy - I am very happy. Here are some colorful pics:
965ff28c75d7179627667c5e1fc9ca04_original.png
965ff28c75d7179627667c5e1fc9ca04_original.png (593.93 KiB) Viewed 3080 times
97bf94b8af56c6eddce96460df2b0116_original.png
97bf94b8af56c6eddce96460df2b0116_original.png (587.82 KiB) Viewed 3080 times
aff66c346262af049a49298a6ad41ff3_original.png
aff66c346262af049a49298a6ad41ff3_original.png (621.4 KiB) Viewed 3080 times
ba40c5fb0b4d8ba6a64d7f931813750a_original.png
ba40c5fb0b4d8ba6a64d7f931813750a_original.png (571.04 KiB) Viewed 3080 times
Read the full update (with also a video) here > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... ts/2095943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

Wow the color really pops, looks amazing!

Cant wait to get my copy, hopefully it arrives before Delirium finishes funding so I can see a coin first hand and decide whether to back for another one or not.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

JuFiN wrote:Wow the color really pops, looks amazing!

Cant wait to get my copy, hopefully it arrives before Delirium finishes funding so I can see a coin first hand and decide whether to back for another one or not.
If it can help, I uploaded a video of the Lunar Eclipse coin on Instagram :-) > https://www.instagram.com/thirdway_industries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello UC!

Lunatica shipping started, I think that someone here should already recieved it :-)
I am really happy about how the decks turned, Neon ink is crazy - let me know what do you think too!

I've posted a lot of pics on my latest update and also on my site (looks into the product pages, there are dozen of high res pics) > http://www.thirdwayindustries.com/produ ... /lunatica/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As always, thank you for the awesome support!

Giovanni
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

I did indeed receive my decks the other day. Also a coin, which was much heavier than I expected, very cool.

As usual with your decks the queens are my favorite part and they are fantastic.

Definitely stands out with its bright color next to other decks in my collection the boxes for the standard editions really feel "bright" on the shelf for lack of a better word.

The limited editions have more of a "normal" feel from a distance next to your other decks (Which is not a bad thing as your other decks look badass) but the holo foil is amazing when you look up close.

All around another A+ deck in my opinion.
intlgrrl
White Whale: MAD DECK by Ozlem Olcer
Decks Owned: 256

Unread post by intlgrrl »

Hi Gio,

I received my decks a few days ago, and they are beautiful! I look forward to your next projects!
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

@Jufin

Haha yes my coins are heavy, and Lunatica standard editions are really bright - I also think that neon ink pop because it's an "alien color" - we're not so used to see those colors around.
I bet that you can spot every Lunatica there:
26994241_764042670453288_3708635318660202877_n.jpg
Thank you for the detailed feedback and support!

@Intlgrrl

Thank you for the kind feedback and the awesome support! =)

Can't wait that Lunatica will arrive to everyone (it should be almost there, since we completed the shipping around 2 weeks ago).