RADIA, The Spiritual Successor to AURUM by Encarded

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: RADIA, The Spiritual Successor to AURUM by Encarded

Unread post by Encarded »

Postage sucks, for reals. I really do not mark that up much at all and it's calculated off USPS postage, so it just stinks for everyone. Sorry.

About half the available stock has been snapped up in the the first 15 minutes so if this looks interesting you may want to visit the site soonish. ;)

https://encarded.com/products/radia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

Why aren't there more images of the actual cards? Seems like basic and glaring omission.
Bikefanatic
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

TGunitedcardists wrote:Why aren't there more images of the actual cards? Seems like basic and glaring omission.
The description on the site says why they aren't shown.

Just by the corners of the backs, they must be good plus seeing Paul's past work, it shouldn't be bad at all. I took very huge risks in life that went very well so $30+ isn't bad.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
TGunitedcardists

Bikefanatic wrote:
TGunitedcardists wrote:Why aren't there more images of the actual cards? Seems like basic and glaring omission.

Just by the corners of the backs, they must be good plus seeing Paul's past work, it shouldn't be bad at all. I took very huge risks in life that went very well so $30+ isn't bad.
Yes, but it is a double standard. Maybe it's earned, but it's not customer friendly. If other creators did the same, there would be far more blowback. Myself, I prefer to see some of the product before putting money down.
Justin O.
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by Justin O. »

TGunitedcardists wrote:
Bikefanatic wrote:

Yes, but it is a double standard. Maybe it's earned, but it's not customer friendly. If other creators did the same, there would be far more blowback. Myself, I prefer to see some of the product before putting money down.
Does it need to be customer friendly? Encarded has earned it's customer base, and it's reputation, and shown with nearly every release that it produces a quality product that nearly universally demands value. You can pretty much guarantee these will be worth the price. A price that seems more than reasonable based on the little bit that you can see of it.
I think Encarded is a safe bet.
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
TGunitedcardists

Justin O. wrote: Does it need to be customer friendly? Encarded has earned it's customer base, and it's reputation, and shown with nearly every release that it produces a quality product that nearly universally demands value. You can pretty much guarantee these will be worth the price. A price that seems more than reasonable based on the little bit that you can see of it.
I think Encarded is a safe bet.
I agree, for the most part. His back designs are fantastic. His court cards aren't always at the same levels as the back designs, of course, individual opinions vary. I like the fact Paul designs, prints and sells. He knows he sells at a premium and creates scarcity etc. It's a model I can't believe Jackson Robinson doesn't do more of (I know, he tried).

However, it's the principle of the matter. In general, the more information, the better, especially when preordering. But, it's his project, he eventually sells out everything he produces, so my opinion isn't the end of the world.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Going back a few years now, some creators have aimed to release decks at the 52 Plus Joker convention each year, and I promised to fully release Radia there. All will be revealed, but I wanted to allow people to get their preorder in place before the October date of the convention. In some ways, this was an experiment in marketing (partially inspired by my experience with the Tesla Model 3 reservations). Would people preorder something they really haven't seen, because they generally trust the company?

So far, the answer has been yes. Compared to the sales speed of the Black Celestial decks, Radia is selling faster and I greatly value each person that put faith in me. I work really hard to create the most beautiful and (hopefully) valuable cards and I also work hard to take care of all my customers, to pay back for their loyalty. I have no doubt that people will really enjoy Radia, it is quite special and harkens back to one of Encarded's most treasured decks, Aurum. If you appreciate my style and approach, Radia will be right up your alley. :D
Paul Carpenter

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I would say that Paul is one of the very few card designers that can pull this off. He's earned it. On a side note I was poking around my KS the other day and found out that the original Tendril was the first campaign I ever pledged for! Only $7 a deck back then! Hahaha
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

vasta41 wrote:I would say that Paul is one of the very few card designers that can pull this off. He's earned it. On a side note I was poking around my KS the other day and found out that the original Tendril was the first campaign I ever pledged for! Only $7 a deck back then! Hahaha
Original Tendril feels like so long ago. For kicks I did a search on Kickstarter today for all playing card projects and there are 3,495. When I did Tendril, I believe there were 6. :lol:

Thanks for joining me on the ride for all these years, and for the kind words.
Paul Carpenter

Bikefanatic

I have Chancellor, 52 Plus Joker and Zenith. Aurum looks look so off of those alone, it was good enough to take a chance plus don't recall any problems with Paul in the past. I love when you order decks and they'll be delivered right away so with this one I can wait.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

I bought these mostly because of the hype of it being a tribute or successor of Aurum (which is one of my most prized decks). I really hope that it is up to it, because I'm not a guy who like to buy in the dark. Even worst being it printed in that China factory...
Hope that Paul manages to get out of this situation in class, and deliver a great deck, not only in artwork terms but also quality.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Based off the samples of this particular process that I have, I think Radia will handle pretty well. It faros nicely and fans quite smoothly, even for my not-all-that-skilled hands. I did compare to my Legal Tender chinese deck (which seems to be a prime example of the "issue") and Radia handles completely different.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZjcNiRHK_P/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But, as I said, this is really a deck for collectors and I doubt too many kids are going to be ripping these open to practice with. :P
Paul Carpenter

sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

Encarded wrote: But, as I said, this is really a deck for collectors and I doubt too many kids are going to be ripping these open to practice with. :P
Sorry Paul, but I think this is a very poor excuse... If you're going to do a deck to stay closed, then just do the tuck box and chagre $5 USD instead of $30... I'm counting in opening my deck and test it, so I expect nothing less than perfect handling for a $30 deck (sure someone will point Lotrek decks that are more expensive and handle like crap, but Lotrek decks are very much innovation decks and self-produced, so you can't expect the handling of a professional playing card company - if you can call that China factory such a thing)... otherwise you may very much loose a supporter here...
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sms69x wrote:
Encarded wrote: But, as I said, this is really a deck for collectors and I doubt too many kids are going to be ripping these open to practice with. :P
Sorry Paul, but I think this is a very poor excuse... If you're going to do a deck to stay closed, then just do the tuck box and chagre $5 USD instead of $30... I'm counting in opening my deck and test it, so I expect nothing less than perfect handling for a $30 deck (sure someone will point Lotrek decks that are more expensive and handle like crap, but Lotrek decks are very much innovation decks and self-produced, so you can't expect the handling of a professional playing card company - if you can call that China factory such a thing)... otherwise you may very much loose a supporter here...
I don't think we'll all ever agree on this subject but I'm one of those collectors that doesn't open 99% of my decks. For my own reasons. Just like you have your own reasons for opening them. I will not, however, ever by a $5 tuck with nothing inside. To each his own, my friend... you can't force people to share your opinion. For $30 you want a deck that handles perfectly. For $30 I just want a really nice deck. Every single "high end" deck of playing cards doesn't need to be perfect in every single category. Per your example,it would be unreasonable to think anyone is going to be using Lotrek's Liturgy decks for XCM. But on the same token, it would be unreasonable to think anyone is going to nominate Fontaine's as having the most intricate artwork. Different strokes for different folks!

Not to mention Paul's reputation has earned him the benefit of doubt IMO.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Another teaser image.

Justin O.

sms69x wrote:
He wasn't making an excuse. Your perspective is the minority. And besides, $30 isn't expensive for a deck in this community, you've been here long enough to know that. You should be happy when any deck isn't produced by makeplayingcards.com. Even Noir is getting their shit together, and anything over them is quality enough for any half-decent cardist or magician. If you want "perfect" handling, shell out for a JN, and then we can talk about how much you spent to get in the deck's pants.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

vasta41 wrote: To each his own, my friend... you can't force people to share your opinion.
Totally agree, and the same applys to you!
vasta41 wrote:Not to mention Paul's reputation has earned him the benefit of doubt IMO.
Sure, not too long ago the same could be said for another creator... can't recall the name right now... was he Jackson Robinson?? Can't remember..
Justin O. wrote: He wasn't making an excuse. Your perspective is the minority. And besides, $30 isn't expensive for a deck in this community, you've been here long enough to know that. You should be happy when any deck isn't produced by makeplayingcards.com. Even Noir is getting their shit together, and anything over them is quality enough for any half-decent cardist or magician. If you want "perfect" handling, shell out for a JN, and then we can talk about how much you spent to get in the deck's pants.
I'm quite sure my perpesctive is the minority, it seems that people are happy in collecting tuck boxes, and just believe in what's said about the cards. And if you don't open your decks I guess you have to take the word of the creator as true.
And $30 is very expensive for almost any deck. As you said, I've been here for some time so I know that as a fact. As long as people are going to keep their decks sealed, creators can do whatever they want regarding the quality of the cards, since no one is going to handle them, so they can even put some gift shop quality cards inside that you won't complain, and will gladly pay $30, as it is not that expensive!!!
And just to wrap up your JN comment, I'll have to guess that you never handled any JN and thus once again you believe in what's said about them. Although they are very good, they are far from been the best cards out there (IMO), give me an old Bicycle Masters Edition UV500 Air-Flow Finish instead!

So yeah defferent people have different views, and I'm not trying to force my view on anyone, just sharing it because I believe this way we can help this hobby getting better.

As for the RADIA, I still believe $30 is very expensive, at least until this special feature is revealed and what impact will it have on handling of the cards.
If I may guess I would say that this feature will be the back design of the cards will bleed through the sides of the cards, kinda like gilding but with the back design pattern on the sides. Would be cool!
Justin O.

sms69x wrote:
vasta41 wrote: I'm quite sure my perpesctive is the minority, it seems that people are happy in collecting tuck boxes, and just believe in what's said about the cards. And if you don't open your decks I guess you have to take the word of the creator as true.
And $30 is very expensive for almost any deck. As you said, I've been here for some time so I know that as a fact. As long as people are going to keep their decks sealed, creators can do whatever they want regarding the quality of the cards, since no one is going to handle them, so they can even put some gift shop quality cards inside that you won't complain, and will gladly pay $30, as it is not that expensive!!!
And just to wrap up your JN comment, I'll have to guess that you never handled any JN and thus once again you believe in what's said about them. Although they are very good, they are far from been the best cards out there (IMO), give me an old Bicycle Masters Edition UV500 Air-Flow Finish instead!
So yeah defferent people have different views, and I'm not trying to force my view on anyone, just sharing it because I believe this way we can help this hobby getting better.
As for the RADIA, I still believe $30 is very expensive, at least until this special feature is revealed and what impact will it have on handling of the cards.
If I may guess I would say that this feature will be the back design of the cards will bleed through the sides of the cards, kinda like gilding but with the back design pattern on the sides. Would be cool!
I can see the card art online, I can see the printer of the deck to know that I like the artwork and respect the quality. I don't have to open them to know these things. And I own Jerry's I can attest to the quality first hand, and they are without a doubt the best handling deck I have ever handled, which says something out of the 400+ open decks I have. I've never tried the Master Edition Bikes, but if there is only one other deck that beats JN handling, that still makes them pretty smurfing spectacular. But I believe it has been said multiple times that this deck is not for you, this is a collector's deck, not a user's deck, and I am confident the $30 features of this deck are not going to make it a good handling deck, they are going to make it a collectible one. An easy pass for you, but a must have for many, whether they open them or not.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

Justin O. wrote: I can see the card art online, I can see the printer of the deck to know that I like the artwork and respect the quality. I don't have to open them to know these things.
You can know all the specs you want from the internet, you can even have an online playing cards collection, you don't need to buy them, just create a portfolio52 account and start collecting playing cards, it's easy and cheap - courtesy of Alex Chin - the rest of the information about the deck you can get from the internet (where you can find true an accurate information about everything).

Sorry for getting out off topic here.
Guess this deck is not for me :D Afterall it seems to be just for the pure hardcore collector (whatever that may be!)
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sms69x wrote:
vasta41 wrote: To each his own, my friend... you can't force people to share your opinion.
Totally agree, and the same applys to you!
Right, but the difference is that you say things like:
sms69x wrote:If you're going to do a deck to stay closed, then just do the tuck box and chagre $5 USD instead of $30
...and:
sms69x wrote:And if you don't open your decks I guess you have to take the word of the creator as true
...and:
sms69x wrote:so they can even put some gift shop quality cards inside that you won't complain, and will gladly pay $30
...which is more than an opinion, it's projecting. And insulting to our (or at least my) intelligence. You come across as though you're saying we're foolish, too trusting, ignorant collectors which is NOT the case. I don't like to open my cards. But I'm not forcing it down peoples throats or screaming it from the mountain tops and making wild assumptions about the collecting habits of fellow cardists. We get it, dude- you open your cards and you think the people that don't are stupid (I'm paraphrasing). Minority or majority it doesn't matter- you should do what you want with the decks of cards you buy. But don't think for one minute that those of us that don't open decks don't care about what's inside.

And finally, more on topic, in regards to Paul's reputation- I had given JR the benefit of doubt up until last year when he tarnished his reputation. If that happens with Paul or anyone else, they will lose the benefit of doubt just like JR did. So at the end of the day is $30 for a deck of mystery cards a risk? It sure is. But it's a calculated one because not only has Paul never skunked us, he's never even come close.
Justin O.

sms69x wrote: You can know all the specs you want from the internet, you can even have an online playing cards collection, you don't need to buy them
But I want to own them. I can't do that online. I understand the point you are trying to make, but it's a weak argument.

I appreciate that you want to touch the cards, but I have touched tens of thousands of playing cards, thousands of decks. I'm not getting anything by handing another deck printed by a company whom's stocks and finishes, cuts, prints, inks I have handled time and time again. I don't need decks to wow me on the handling anymore, I know what they all feel like.

I do still get excited by innovations by the printers, but I collect to own, and an important part of that is knowing the decks in my collection are mint, and valuable.

I know what my favorite work decks are, and I don't need every deck in my collections to perform like they do, as a matter of fact I don't need any of the decks in my collection to perform like that, I only need my work decks to perform like that.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

@ Justin O. and vasta41, it was never my intention to force my view on anyone, just wanted to expose it.
I like to open my decks and feel them to check if my money was well spent... just that!
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I had a few comments on this interesting discussion. First, I don't feel that I've put out a crummy deck of cards yet and I don't intend to start now. :) I've been around since the beginning and have always aimed to make great decks and repay the loyalty of my customers, even at my personal expense. If by chance you find that Radia is horrible (which I seriously doubt) than simply reach out and we'll take care of it. Frankly, I've sold something like 35,000 decks over the years and can only recall a couple people that had serious issues with the result, and I did all I could to resolve it. That's been important to me since the beginning.

Second, I open almost everything I buy for myself, so I'm certainly not opposed to it. But a very limited edition, expensive deck is by its nature going to be aimed at a collector market. If Radia was cheap to print (it's not) then maybe I'd have done a lot more, but the market really doesn't bear that out anymore, there are too many choices. I also don't use crowdfunding, so all the risk is on me. For reasons like that, some projects are aimed at certain parts of the market from the beginning.

By all means, open and enjoy it! I actually want you to see all of what I worked to create. But I don't think that every deck has to hit every checkbox in the playing card spectrum. If they were, first I don't think you'd have many decks to choose from because I don't think many creators could get that done, and second it would get boring because decks would funnel down to looking and feeling the same. I love the variety that we see, and that is driven by different passions and goals from the creators, which is exactly how it should be, I think. :)
Paul Carpenter

theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

The multiverse must be on my side because I was able to pre-order 2 of these today. Surprised they're not sold out.

Other than the Deco decks (ew IMO), everything created by Paul Carpenter/Encarded is must-have, and 2 at that.

The 2015 52+ Joker Club Deck is one of the best things I have seen in my life. It's up there with naked girls...
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

TwoPieceFeed wrote:The multiverse must be on my side because I was able to pre-order 2 of these today. Surprised they're not sold out.

Other than the Deco decks (ew IMO), everything created by Paul Carpenter/Encarded is must-have, and 2 at that.

The 2015 52+ Joker Club Deck is one of the best things I have seen in my life. It's up there with naked girls...
There are still a few left in the preorder, though I suspect after the full reveal the rest will go pretty quickly. Thanks for the confidence, and better than naked girls? Wow, I must be onto something! :lol:
Paul Carpenter

Justin O.

I've been trying to get out of collecting playing cards over the last 6 or so months, so I hadn't jumped on these yet. But I can't not get at least one deck. Encarded + hype + teaser, I can't say no.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

I think a serious creator plays that game only when s/he is very confident that people who won't get the "sight unseen" product will regret it when the secret is revealed. Paul is one of those creators.

Btw, I had exactly the same idea for a deck I'm working on. 8-)
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
Bikefanatic

Lotrek wrote:I think a serious creator plays that game only when s/he is very confident that people who won't get the "sight unseen" product will regret it when the secret is revealed. Paul is one of those creators.

Btw, I had exactly the same idea for a deck I'm working on. 8-)
It's funny how your post relates to your signature.

We're familiar with Aurum so if it was something entirely unknown or at a higher price, I wouldn't take the gamble regardless of who the creator is. Lotrek, nearly all your work is a bit but don't you do it! :ugthink:

-Lotrek

Bikefanatic

I received the email about the reveal. Anyone excited or disappointed? For me it's neither. I thought they would be new courts but they look like recolored Chancellor courts. Once I have the actual deck I'll see how good everything else is.......

-Lotrek

guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Saw the post on Kardify but could not understand the unique or secret feature factor. Am I missing something?