RADIA, The Spiritual Successor to AURUM by Encarded

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
TGunitedcardists

Re: RADIA, The Spiritual Successor to AURUM by Encarded

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

TwoPieceFeed wrote: A lot of people probably can't afford that, and that's great.
I should have stopped reading right there. :roll:

I disagree with almost everything you just posted.
Justin O.
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by Justin O. »

Shots fired
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

I personally love to open decks but totally understand that having an expensive and rare item is not always easy and sometimes you want to preserve the value. Luckily with Radia even if you decide to keep it sealed you will get a nice little glimpse of the specialness inside.

I do particularly like this design and maybe, possibly, might do a simpler version of it, but honestly the chances are slim. This design has been brewed for a long time and I simply didn't have a way to do it justice until now. It needed to be bold, visually dynamic and have some characteristics that I can explain after the full reveal, but a plain version would lose a lot of that "specialness." Yes, Radia will be much more costly than a display deck, but I think you will appreciate the visuals. :D

FYI that this Saturday, Sept 23 at 12PM EST I'll have Radia up for pre-order. The full reveal will be at the 52 Plus Joker convention on October 13th but if you are bold and want to get this (quite special) deck, this will be the place to be. Limited to 4 per person this time, and only 750 will be available for the pre-order. :)

https://encarded.com/products/radia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Bikefanatic
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Back when I used to only buy one deck, I opened and played with all of them. The opened deck IS my display deck, to admire the tuck and cards inside. I actually play with my playing cards. :ugdance:

2-4 of the special, future rare decks may be ideal. One to play with, one to admire it sealed and the rest to sell or give away.

Btw, I do play with $70-$100 cards. No way I'll just have them around without enjoying them. I mostly only get one of them.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Justin O.

I just think of some of the truly special decks. I would never open and Unbranded Black Reserve, or Jerry's Nuggets, a Blaine MS deck or Bund18's. I don't know that I will get a second chance to get some of these and I'm not going to compromise their collector's value, or what is the most important thing to me: their perfect , untouched, pristine flawlessness, by opening them.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

TGunitedcardists wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote: A lot of people probably can't afford that, and that's great.

Sorry, not sorry, but I'm not someone who thinks that everything should be available to everyone.

When I worked in customer service I could only afford to buy expensive decks for collector's appreciation/value (and had to budget for that). I'm an engineer now and have the disposable income to buy at least 2 of any deck I like. I earned this status.

Agree or disagree all you want.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
TGunitedcardists

TwoPieceFeed wrote:
TGunitedcardists wrote:

Sorry, not sorry, but I'm not someone who thinks that everything should be available to everyone.

When I worked in customer service I could only afford to buy expensive decks for collector's appreciation/value (and had to budget for that). I'm an engineer now and have the disposable income to buy at least 2 of any deck I like. I earned this status.

The only thing that is worse than what was said (again) is how it was said (again). :roll:

If life brings you pleasure as you acquire/level up to, "any 2 decks you like" status over others, the so beit. Agree or disagree all you want. :roll:
theCapraAegagrus

TGunitedcardists wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:
TGunitedcardists wrote:

The only thing that is worse than what was said (again) is how it was said (again). :roll:

If life brings you pleasure as you acquire/level up to, "any 2 decks you like" status over others, the so beit. Agree or disagree all you want. :roll:
You're obviously inferring some sort of tone that isn't being communicated here.

Whether or not you agree with it; exclusivity exists. Dread it. Run from it. It's still here. It's what drives limited editions from artists and for their buyers.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I collect playing cards by Paul Carpenter because they are awesome.

Agree all you want.
This space intentionally left blank.
theCapraAegagrus

rousselle wrote:I collect playing cards by Paul Carpenter because they are awesome.

Agree all you want.
100% here! Anyone who disagrees is a jabroni with a poor opinion of art.

Paul Carpenter is one of the 5 best playing card artists in the world. He only releases 1-2 decks a year and they're always 100% excellent.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:
rousselle wrote:I collect playing cards by Paul Carpenter because they are awesome.

Agree all you want.

Paul Carpenter is one of the 5 best playing card artists in the world. He only releases 1-2 decks a year and they're always 100% excellent.
The red highlighted portion in this comment is not necessary.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to motivation for collecting or appreciation of art. Everyone is free to express their opinion, but its fruitless to try to impose one's view over someone else's, or to say their view is superior. It's like arguing over what is the best color. However, I do think it can be an interesting discussion where people (in a judgement-free manner) explain their "Why's" and "How's" of collecting and I feel we can find benefits and insights from each other's diverse collecting philosophies. Perhaps someone can start a new thread in the General Discussion section so that we can stop hijacking the RADIA thread.

For me personally, Paul may not in my top 5 custom playing card designers, but I have every one of his decks within my collection of over 1500 sealed decks, so that shows you he ranks pretty high on my list of designers. Sadly, RADIA will not find its way into my collection due to 2 reasons: 1) I just can't find a reason to pay such a high premium for a deck made in China, and 2) I can't trust the quality and consistency of decks coming out of EPCC/LPCC's Chinese factory. This second point is very important to me because I'm one of those collectors who open and use their decks in addition to keeping at least 1 or 2 sealed for the collection. For a Paul Carpenter deck, you know the art will be great as usual, but in RADIA's case, I don't know the quality of the handling will also be great. To Paul's credit, he was explicitly up-front with us about the Chinese printer and indicated this is a deck more for pure collectors, so I appreciate that honest transparency and wish him the best of luck with RADIA.
theCapraAegagrus

sinjin7 wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:

Agree all you want.

The red highlighted portion in this comment is not necessary.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to motivation for collecting or appreciation of art. Everyone is free to express their opinion, but its fruitless to try to impose one's view over someone else's, or to say their view is superior. It's like arguing over what is the best color. However, I do think it can be an interesting discussion where people (in a judgement-free manner) explain their "Why's" and "How's" of collecting and I feel we can find benefits and insights from each other's diverse collecting philosophies. Perhaps someone can start a new thread in the General Discussion section so that we can stop hijacking the RADIA thread.

For me personally, Paul may not in my top 5 custom playing card designers, but I have every one of his decks within my collection of over 1500 sealed decks, so that shows you he ranks pretty high on my list of designers. Sadly, RADIA will not find its way into my collection due to 2 reasons: 1) I just can't find a reason to pay such a high premium for a deck made in China, and 2) I can't trust the quality and consistency of decks coming out of EPCC/LPCC's Chinese factory. This second point is very important to me because I'm one of those collectors who open and use their decks in addition to keeping at least 1 or 2 sealed for the collection. For a Paul Carpenter deck, you know the art will be great as usual, but in RADIA's case, I don't know the quality of the handling will also be great. To Paul's credit, he was explicitly up-front with us about the Chinese printer and indicated this is a deck more for pure collectors, so I appreciate that honest transparency and wish him the best of luck with RADIA.
Sorry, I forgot to use my sarcasm font... :roll:

It's the internet, guys. It really doesn't need to be taken this (!) seriously... [MURRAY]
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

TwoPieceFeed wrote: Sorry, I forgot to use my sarcasm font... :roll:

It's the internet, guys. It really doesn't need to be taken this (!) seriously... [MURRAY]
Perhaps especially what someone with your avatar writes :lol: :ugthink:

On topic: I will be ready come Saturday. Can't miss a new original Carpenter...
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I clicked Encarded's link and it has the deck at $30. Where are people getting this $80 deck price from? Is that another deck I missed being discussed in this thread? :?
Move on, nothing to see here.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

RichK, I think that was just a theoretical discussion about opening and using expensive decks. There is only one version of Radia at the mkment. ;)
Paul Carpenter

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

I am curious about the reason for going with the factory in China and hope it becomes clear once the deck is released.
badpete69

Unread post by badpete69 »

For you non anti chinese printing companies, it is now live
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

$15 INT shipping for 1 deck... Ouch.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Bikefanatic

I never bought a deck I couldn't see so this may be the first.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

badpete69

Unread post by badpete69 »

MagikFingerz wrote:$15 INT shipping for 1 deck... Ouch, Paul.
That's about the price USPS charges.. If you check a 5 ounce package to Norway from US first class it comes up at $13.50. Shipping to Europe prices are crazy
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Postage sucks, for reals. I really do not mark that up much at all and it's calculated off USPS postage, so it just stinks for everyone. Sorry.

About half the available stock has been snapped up in the the first 15 minutes so if this looks interesting you may want to visit the site soonish. ;)

https://encarded.com/products/radia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Carpenter

TGunitedcardists

Why aren't there more images of the actual cards? Seems like basic and glaring omission.
Bikefanatic

TGunitedcardists wrote:Why aren't there more images of the actual cards? Seems like basic and glaring omission.
The description on the site says why they aren't shown.

Just by the corners of the backs, they must be good plus seeing Paul's past work, it shouldn't be bad at all. I took very huge risks in life that went very well so $30+ isn't bad.

-Lotrek

TGunitedcardists

Bikefanatic wrote:
TGunitedcardists wrote:Why aren't there more images of the actual cards? Seems like basic and glaring omission.

Just by the corners of the backs, they must be good plus seeing Paul's past work, it shouldn't be bad at all. I took very huge risks in life that went very well so $30+ isn't bad.
Yes, but it is a double standard. Maybe it's earned, but it's not customer friendly. If other creators did the same, there would be far more blowback. Myself, I prefer to see some of the product before putting money down.
Justin O.

TGunitedcardists wrote:
Bikefanatic wrote:

Yes, but it is a double standard. Maybe it's earned, but it's not customer friendly. If other creators did the same, there would be far more blowback. Myself, I prefer to see some of the product before putting money down.
Does it need to be customer friendly? Encarded has earned it's customer base, and it's reputation, and shown with nearly every release that it produces a quality product that nearly universally demands value. You can pretty much guarantee these will be worth the price. A price that seems more than reasonable based on the little bit that you can see of it.
I think Encarded is a safe bet.
TGunitedcardists

Justin O. wrote: Does it need to be customer friendly? Encarded has earned it's customer base, and it's reputation, and shown with nearly every release that it produces a quality product that nearly universally demands value. You can pretty much guarantee these will be worth the price. A price that seems more than reasonable based on the little bit that you can see of it.
I think Encarded is a safe bet.
I agree, for the most part. His back designs are fantastic. His court cards aren't always at the same levels as the back designs, of course, individual opinions vary. I like the fact Paul designs, prints and sells. He knows he sells at a premium and creates scarcity etc. It's a model I can't believe Jackson Robinson doesn't do more of (I know, he tried).

However, it's the principle of the matter. In general, the more information, the better, especially when preordering. But, it's his project, he eventually sells out everything he produces, so my opinion isn't the end of the world.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Going back a few years now, some creators have aimed to release decks at the 52 Plus Joker convention each year, and I promised to fully release Radia there. All will be revealed, but I wanted to allow people to get their preorder in place before the October date of the convention. In some ways, this was an experiment in marketing (partially inspired by my experience with the Tesla Model 3 reservations). Would people preorder something they really haven't seen, because they generally trust the company?

So far, the answer has been yes. Compared to the sales speed of the Black Celestial decks, Radia is selling faster and I greatly value each person that put faith in me. I work really hard to create the most beautiful and (hopefully) valuable cards and I also work hard to take care of all my customers, to pay back for their loyalty. I have no doubt that people will really enjoy Radia, it is quite special and harkens back to one of Encarded's most treasured decks, Aurum. If you appreciate my style and approach, Radia will be right up your alley. :D
Paul Carpenter

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I would say that Paul is one of the very few card designers that can pull this off. He's earned it. On a side note I was poking around my KS the other day and found out that the original Tendril was the first campaign I ever pledged for! Only $7 a deck back then! Hahaha
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

vasta41 wrote:I would say that Paul is one of the very few card designers that can pull this off. He's earned it. On a side note I was poking around my KS the other day and found out that the original Tendril was the first campaign I ever pledged for! Only $7 a deck back then! Hahaha
Original Tendril feels like so long ago. For kicks I did a search on Kickstarter today for all playing card projects and there are 3,495. When I did Tendril, I believe there were 6. :lol:

Thanks for joining me on the ride for all these years, and for the kind words.
Paul Carpenter

Bikefanatic

I have Chancellor, 52 Plus Joker and Zenith. Aurum looks look so off of those alone, it was good enough to take a chance plus don't recall any problems with Paul in the past. I love when you order decks and they'll be delivered right away so with this one I can wait.

-Lotrek