Bharata Tarot Playing Cards- Live on Kickstarter

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Bharata Tarot Playing Cards- Live on Kickstarter

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

Starting a separate thread rather than using the old thread for all updates.

Background - Bharata Tarot Playing Cards was offered as a stretch goal in a recently concluded KS project. Unfortunately, the stretch goal could not be met and I've launched another Kickstarter project with short timelines and relatively low funding goal. Note that this deck is not a simple color change, it has a completely redesigned Card back & tuckbox, Silver holographic foil, 4 extra cards (no Jokers) and additional indices on each card according to the most agreed upon tarot & playing card correspondences.

Addons available - limited edition Bandana, Uncut sheets & Collector's edition box (stretch goal).

Addl. Stretch goals - Inner foil & embossing on tuckbox.

I'm looking to get both decks printed and delivered in 2017 itself, and hope to see you there.

Regards,
Sunish
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Bharata Tarot Playing Cards- Live on Kickstarter

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Sadly, I will have to limit my Bharata collection to the main deck, for budget reasons. This looks amazing though, and I would pledge in an instant if I had more money to spare.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

That's okay Tom. I understand and really appreciate you supporting the other deck.

I'm not sure why the value proposition hasn't worked with this deck. Understand that this is a fusion type of deck which may not fit everyone's taste, and somehow I now have started to get this feeling that keeping it in the middle region of not a full poker deck as well as not a full tarot deck is dissuading backers from both sides to support it.

GPCC being new, people are going to be wary of it for sure is one other reason as there are a no. of horror stories on Kickstarter Playing Card projects.

The value prop I offered is a new fusion deck that is still playable, has a limited print run, 56 cards (not jokers but those 4 extra cards can still be used as one), 100% custom illustration, worldwide shipping included, very genuine price point which can be considered a steal, silver holographic foil on tuck and card edges which I feel is more beautiful than gold version I believe. You'd have seen creators tapering down or even compromising on their vision by going with alternate printers if things do not work on one campaign or offering good features like foil, embossing, gilding, tuck upgrade at a fairly higher stretch goals than what they usually pay to the production partner. Challenging the status quo in every element like deck specs, price point for backers, shipping to both US & international is quite difficult but even when someone offers it, you see more skepticism rather than support.....

I receive PM on KS from a backer recently which I think makes complete sense.
"There are many things happening that cause difficulty Sunish. People are used to the prices from USPCC and LPC/EPCC. You're offering a different solution which some people take pause in. They are just not used to it and even those who have supported previously can be cautious because, well they've likely gotten hosed more than once on KS."
I promised someone that this deck will be a success on KS and will get produced this year. Commitment, promise, honor and spoken word are very important to me. If I commit to someone that something will be done, it WILL happen come what way. What is happening with the current KS is a cause of concern to me because my assumption about this Kickstarter will get to the funding goal has come out to be wrong. I don't think it will reach the funding goal in the current campaign.

Options I think of is either to do a Poker deck by removing this additional pips on the other diagonal, including jokers etc. or put a major Arcana extension with this in a future relaunch or even wait till the original Bharata deck gets delivered to backers so that they have more confidence in both GPCC as well as the product, and then do a relaunch of the same......First and third options are still easy to do. First option of a poker deck is not a simple color change of cardback & tuck as 99% of other creators do, and is easy to do...Third is equally easy and second is the one where the challenge lies....

I'd still like to see the tarot fusion deck in its current avatar getting funded and if I hear more demand to have an extension, I will be going for one but don't want to get into a project before seeing the demand. The current state doesn't show it.

Appreciate any advice, suggestions & feedback from everyone here.
pablo

Unread post by pablo »

I'll be honest Sunish, i also backed away from this project. I like the full art illustrations but i have backed for two bharata poker decks from the previous campaign and I just dont need another one, or two for that matter. (I dont have any duplicates other than standard bikes in my collection). And this project also didnt guarantee a full tarot deck being produced, so in the end i would have 4 poker decks that are quite similar (theme and courts). I have the arcana set by dead on paper, but i got all three at the same time from jpgames (so i got a full tarot and two poker decks). I appreciate you getting all those extras for your ba kers though, good luck

Enviado desde mi Aquaris_M4.5 mediante Tapatalk
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

pablo wrote:I'll be honest Sunish, i also backed away from this project. I like the full art illustrations but i have backed for two bharata poker decks from the previous campaign and I just dont need another one, or two for that matter. (I dont have any duplicates other than standard bikes in my collection). And this project also didnt guarantee a full tarot deck being produced, so in the end i would have 4 poker decks that are quite similar (theme and courts). I have the arcana set by dead on paper, but i got all three at the same time from jpgames (so i got a full tarot and two poker decks). I appreciate you getting all those extras for your ba kers though, good luck

Enviado desde mi Aquaris_M4.5 mediante Tapatalk
Hey Pablo - Thx for the response. After seeing your response, I think it is worthwhile to consider Major Arcana extension at least, rather than just dropping the whole tarot fusion idea and making it a Poker deck. Thanks for your support as always.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Mixed tier available now with both decks & a special exclusive reward open now - Latest update here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1943841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

I'm in - and banking on you getting across the funding line Sunish :)
The card back is gorgeous!

Also hoping you go for the extension to bring more of the tarot cards on board down the track.

All the best! :)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

NineLives wrote:I'm in - and banking on you getting across the funding line Sunish :)
The card back is gorgeous!

Also hoping you go for the extension to bring more of the tarot cards on board down the track.

All the best! :)
Thanks Annette. I got this book on history of tarot few days back and doing my research for tarot expansion pack. I've thought about the execution of this and when things are bit firmed up, I'd like to get your suggestion on the options.

Thanks again.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Exciting - and absolutely, I'm all ears :)
One of my next decks (I plan/hope) will be a fusion between playing cards and tarot. Got the ideas, now it's just about finding the time.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

NineLives wrote:Exciting - and absolutely, I'm all ears :)
One of my next decks (I plan/hope) will be a fusion between playing cards and tarot. Got the ideas, now it's just about finding the time.
Sounds interesting. You gave me an idea about doing only minor Arcana version combined with poker deck and this is what I am exploring first. After this, will start with the research on Major Arcana expansion pack.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

There was a major hit & run done by someone who might be a fake backer as he made a pledge of AUD$460+ and messaged to keep <x> numbers of decks for him. I was, indeed, happy because it was a large pledge. After 2 days he canceled the pledge and was no where to be seen. When I looked at his profile, I found that he has just backed my project and created the profile recently (July 2017).
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Woah.
What sort of weak and defective persona thinks that an action of this kind can be of benefit ?
Plus, how ?
How could such a pathetic confection be considered a valid outcome ?
What devolved lowlife could consider such a concept ?

Such ill-considered actions should be traceable through protocols, yes ?
Plainly.
Pathetic ain't the word for this. :lol:
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Bruno wrote:Woah.
What sort of weak and defective persona thinks that an action of this kind can be of benefit ?
Plus, how ?
How could such a pathetic confection be considered a valid outcome ?
What devolved lowlife could consider such a concept ?

Such ill-considered actions should be traceable through protocols, yes ?
Plainly.
Pathetic ain't the word for this. :lol:

@Bruno - It is still a learning experience for me and glad that it is giving me lots of lessons learned. Though Kickstarter should be checking this sort of behaviour and analytics/reporting have become quite strong lately, but I do understand that they can't check every hit & run like this.

It is also good that it happened before the end of the campaign or else it'd have cause an entirely different situation. I came across a news on another Kickstarter scam (check the link), and counting my blessings that it didn't happen with me or with other Playing card creators (otherwise we'd have heard about it definitely here from someone)

https://www.themarysue.com/kickstarter-scam/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

guru wrote:It is also good that it happened before the end of the campaign or else it'd have cause an entirely different situation. I came across a news on another Kickstarter scam (check the link), and counting my blessings that it didn't happen with me or with other Playing card creators (otherwise we'd have heard about it definitely here from someone)

https://www.themarysue.com/kickstarter-scam/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not sure how this Encik Farhan story ever could've become an issue. It would seem all the Kickstarter creator has to do is confirm with the credit card company that the pledge reward was shipped to the correct address, and then the requested chargeback will be denied. If the reward hasn't been shipped yet but the KS project creator is still within his estimated time-frame and he's able to show that to the credit card company, then the requested chargeback will be denied (the KS Terms of Use provide contractual protection both ways). If this Encik Farhan was, in fact, able to successfully obtain chargebacks for KS items he already received on a large scale (again, an unlikely scenario), then I think it would be a very easy and simple matter to press criminal fraud charges against him since his identity and address is obviously known - not exactly the smartest scam to run.
Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

Speaking of morons running interference on projects, whether by themselves, or coerced/instigated by other plonkers, such covert practice should be contravening numerous ethical protocols, and flying red flags right across these boards, yes ?
Where is the counterbalancing promotion in this community, where devious actions and petty concepts are far from most peoples thoughts and, so far as putting them into practice, utterly alien and invalid.
If the promotion of supreme idiots thus allowed free rein (or the appearence of such), is not negated firmly, next thing you know, proven incompetent people will promote their own kind, and the proper and neccessary questions do not get put forward.
Unless it be too late ?
Underhand and deviously covert whackers cannot be given credence.
The thought is incredible.
People leaving crap on your doorstep every day is unconscionable.
Seriously.
Hiding behind the safety barrier will not help.
Short of tearing the media a new arsehole what can be done ?
Hnnn ?
Start right here at home.
Guard yer doorstep. :D

guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

sinjin7 wrote: If this Encik Farhan was, in fact, able to successfully obtain chargebacks for KS items he already received on a large scale (again, an unlikely scenario), then I think it would be a very easy and simple matter to press criminal fraud charges against him since his identity and address is obviously known - not exactly the smartest scam to run.
John - It may not be that simple for creators, but I do agree that if someone tries to get hundreds of chargeback then it should easily get flagged at his card's provider end. I was going through Hackernews and here I got somewhat better perspective than the first article.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6695540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruno wrote: Speaking of morons running interference on projects, whether by themselves, or coerced/instigated by other plonkers, such covert practice should be contravening numerous ethical protocols, and flying red flags right across these boards, yes ?
Thanks Bruno for whatever you said, I think I need to meet you some day soon to understand thoroughly a few of your posts on UC. :)
Bruno

Re: Bharata Tarot Playing Cards

Unread post by Bruno »

Bruno wrote: Speaking of morons running interference on projects, whether by themselves, or coerced/instigated by other plonkers, such covert practice should be contravening numerous ethical protocols, and flying red flags right across these boards, yes ?
Where is the counterbalancing promotion in this community, where devious actions and petty concepts are far from most peoples thoughts and, so far as putting them into practice, utterly alien and invalid.
If the promotion of supreme idiots thus allowed free rein (or the appearence of such), is not negated firmly, next thing you know, proven incompetent people will promote their own kind, and the proper and neccessary questions do not get put forward.
Unless it be too late ?
Underhand and deviously covert whackers cannot be given credence.
The thought is incredible.
People leaving crap on your doorstep every day is unconscionable.
Seriously.
Hiding behind the safety barrier will not help.
Short of tearing the media a new arsehole what can be done ?
Hnnn ?
Start right here at home.
Guard yer doorstep.
Thanks Bruno for whatever you said, I think I need to meet you some day soon to understand thoroughly a few of your posts on UC. :)[/quote]

no problems, once i check your umbrella.
( ..... thats a ref. to ricin, an obscure but intensely devious toxin, which is almost untraceable, due to the miniscule dose needed to be the death of you)
*sigh* the need to >explain< is a redundancy, it promotes lazyness and impedes the fun of finding out for yourself .... not that you need assistance there, ever ....
Given your obvious competence and positive creativity combined .... these being part of This Issue.
Because .... those who areso obviously not competent, and those who areso obviously not positively creative, they do however feel the need to undermine and negate your oh, so evident talents.
This is the direction that these fluffers utilize their deviant and petty skills .... undermining, promoting negativity, being antsy towards people with Real and Actual Accomplishments.
All in the background, all of this giving them perverse pleasure, I'll warrant.
So, so pathetic.
And so sad that it needs to be vocalised/revealed/explained/validated.
Enough.
O, except, Godwins, and Conspiritorial Theorising.
There, I got in first.
*sigh*

vedus

Unread post by vedus »

Hey... These are back up. Hurray!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

It was launched by mistake and has been a cruel joke on me. I have cancelled it and it will be coming back in a week or two. Sorry for any inconvenience.
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

No inconvenience. I'll still be here in a week or two. :)
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

It is odd. I am sure I backed it, and then I didn't get any notice it was canceled. I will be interested again. Just let us know when you launch it again.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

All,

Bharata tarot launches tonight.....11:00 PM AEDT, 28th Oct.....

With good set of early birds, handcrafted tarot deck, collector's box & reading cloth/Bandana etc., I do hope to see you there.

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Preview URL: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... n=b8661952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that this project is in USD through the collaboration and support from Mike Ratledge. Given that I have seen foreign exchange transactions taking a toll on my margins (as every vendor expect payment in USD) and the continued slide of Aussie dollar recently in comparison to USD , I am going through this route for this project. Let's see.

Thanks Mike and everyone here in UC for your help.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

It is live now.

http://kck.st/2hhqrRi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Backed it, good luck!
Move on, nothing to see here.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Me too. I am actually backing my first Tarrot deck.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

guru wrote:Preview URL: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... n=b8661952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that this project is in USD through the collaboration and support from Mike Ratledge. Given that I have seen foreign exchange transactions taking a toll on my margins (as every vendor expect payment in USD) and the continued slide of Aussie dollar recently in comparison to USD , I am going through this route for this project. Let's see.

Thanks Mike and everyone here in UC for your help.
I was wondering how you managed that one ;) Knowing first hand what it's like to be nervously watching our falling (AU) dollar, with big bills to be paid in USD :roll: I think it's fabulous you found a way around that side of things!

Good luck with the campaign Sunish :)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

Just posted an update on Kickstarter announcing addons (coin, handcrafted playing card n tarot deck etc.) but more notably, I've also offered Bharata Tarot expansion pack (complete major arcana and 4 extra cards) as a standalone reward tier so that anyone interested in RWS tarot or Major Arcana can get their hands on it.

Please check it out here and don't hesitate to reach out to me for any question.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... cana-expan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Art prints available as an addon now. Latest update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/2038493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;