ICE AND FIRE DECK ON KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
labalaenlabiblia
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

ICE AND FIRE DECK ON KS

Unread post by labalaenlabiblia »

Ice and Fire is an interesting deck with characters inspired from books, stories, and more, that are set in the medieval times. Kings, knights, and princesses get together to give us a good variety of art in our deck and create a story out of it.
Every deck will have a different tuck box, different back design, and a couple of different cards from the other deck.
Come and join us to see these beautiful designs and live together the story of Ice and Fire.

FIRE DECK

ICE DECK
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Re: ICE AND FIRE DECK (SOON ON KS)

Unread post by max »

I like what I see Emmanuel!

I would have loved different characters in each deck ;)
chach
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

I guess it goes without saying, but have you followed up on licensing and copyrights since you state it is directly based on specific works?
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Great Artwork as always Emmanuel, i like it.
I have all decks you released so far. Count me in on this one aswell. ;)
labalaenlabiblia
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

chach wrote:I guess it goes without saying, but have you followed up on licensing and copyrights since you state it is directly based on specific works?
I'm trying to go as far as I can from them by not mentioning any of the names, places, not even the name of the book. I have never seen any problems with books fan art since they are based on imagination after all. Also, I tried to keep a balance on the art in between the series and how they are described on the books. Just as we have seen decks of Cthulhu, Allan Poe, etc this one will be from some other books. I hope there is no trouble! Wish me luck :)
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I would refrain from mentioning GRRM's name. You're doing a good job, I think, of "filing off the serial numbers," but his name kinda hangs out there as a call to arms. So to speak.

I like what I see so far, btw! I've enjoyed your earlier projects, and look forward to these, as well. :)
This space intentionally left blank.
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

Cthulhu is in public domain so no one has the rights to it to begin with, this is a large part of why it is so widely used...

I think you will open yourself up to some real legal trouble with this one, I mean you start the thread with the statement that it is based on Game of Thrones, so not hiding it so well.

Eitherway hopefully you work it out because I like the artwork a lot.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

I think this is a masterstroke. It should cash in on the popularity of the launch of newest season. Check this out and you might see million dollars + funding for this particular board game at least.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/3/159057 ... e-and-fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

labalaenlabiblia wrote:
chach wrote:I guess it goes without saying, but have you followed up on licensing and copyrights since you state it is directly based on specific works?
I'm trying to go as far as I can from them by not mentioning any of the names, places, not even the name of the book. I have never seen any problems with books fan art since they are based on imagination after all. Also, I tried to keep a balance on the art in between the series and how they are described on the books. Just as we have seen decks of Cthulhu, Allan Poe, etc this one will be from some other books. I hope there is no trouble! Wish me luck :)
I just want to be clear here: as an attorney, I absolutely think this Ice and Fire deck is a technical copyright violation of George R.R. Mortin's work. Its well-established law that even the characters of works of fiction/media/art are covered under copyright protection, and there's no doubt the courts of the Fire and Ice deck are derivative of Martin's work. The real issue, however, is whether this deck ever catches the attention of Mr. Martin or HBO. And even if this deck somehow ever catches their attention, would they be motivated to take the time and expense to shut this down? Most likely not. However, its always the best policy to obtain permission and a license for this type of thing, otherwise you're rolling the dice, even if the risk may seem slight.
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

I have a little experience with Licensed Decks, so I thought I should give my advice as well.

When I was working on my Bowling Decks, they were originally going to be officially-Licensed Big Lebowski Decks. Here's a link to our original Proof of Concept pitch to Universal Studios - http://www.midnightcardcompany.com/BigLebowskiPITCH.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Universal Studios loved the idea, and we came to a verbal agreement - we would pay a minimum of $10,000 for two years of Licensing ($5k at time of signing the contract, the rest a year later - more if Royalties went over $10k). I kept working on the Lebowski designs, and they finally finished the written contract 3 or 4 months later. Upon reading the contract, we realized that Universal also added in two very large Insurance Policies that we were required to purchase, and we had to float the bill for all of the Actors and Actress Likeness Rights (we thought that was part of the $10k agreement). So, we decided not to sign the contract and I revamped the designs to be a retro Bowl-A-Rama design.

Before balking on the deal, we talked with Erik from Albino Dragon for advice. He actually said the contract, Actors likeness rights and Insurance Policies were pretty standard for Licensed Products. Talk about a headache!

I later did some design work with Erik on a couple Officially Licensed Breaking Bad Decks. My designs didn't have any delays from the studio, but I know that Erik's Artist had to revamp a few of the Court drawings because of Actors and Actresses needing to approve their likenesses (especially the Actor who played DEA Agent Hank). He had them change his drawing a few times!

Even if you don't mention George R.R. Martin or Game of Thrones in the project page, there's still a big chance Kickstarter will shut it down. The Cersei and Arya drawings look very similar to the Actresses who play them on the show.

I know there's a non-Licensed Game of Thrones Deck available from someone on Etsy. Those type of designs fly under the radar because they're such small print runs and self-funded. Kickstarter projects are different. They get a lot of scrutiny. I've seen plenty of Decks get cancelled or suspended for the creator not having the Licensing Rights. Even if Kickstarter doesn't notice it right away, there's a few weeks of run time where potential Backers will let Kickstarter and/or HBO know what's going on.

If I remember right, there was an unofficial Game of Thrones Deck on Kickstarter last year or so. I think it lastet a week or two before Kickstarter suspended the campaign.

I would be very careful if I were you.

Thanks, Randy
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks Sinjin and Randy for sharing these insights. This is good stuff, indeed.

After Sinjin's response, I checked with the tabletop game creators (had shared a link in my earlier post here) and found that they have already secured the licenses, and thus, it is all clear for them.
Justin O.
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by Justin O. »

Who is that JoD?
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

He's holding a sausage and a knife. The house sigil (the symbol under the helmet) is the upside-down flayed man.

That's Ramsay Bolton.
This space intentionally left blank.
labalaenlabiblia
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: ICE AND FIRE DECK ON KS

Thanks for all the messages guys!
I did everything possible to put the project far from it's inspiration. I hope it won't get canceled!
Here's the link!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52 ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Nice project. Sorry but I could not resist asking you this after seeing this quote on your project

"Our challenge is to bring you a quality product on time and have our costumers happy." Do your costumers keep you happy at Halloween?
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Maybe i'm blind, but who will be printing these ? Nothing about it on the project page or here.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Azid wrote:Maybe i'm blind, but who will be printing these ? Nothing about it on the project page or here.
He has used MPC on the past deck projects.

EDIT: When I asked, he responded: "The cards will be printed at MPC and if we hit $18,000 then we will change to USPCC :) which we hope that'll happen."
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

PrincessTrouble wrote:
Azid wrote:Maybe i'm blind, but who will be printing these ? Nothing about it on the project page or here.
He has used MPC on the past deck projects.
I know, but the last project project had a funding goal of 6.000$ with 2 different decks + there was a stretch goal that said "Selling over 750 decks (either golden or color) we will print on LPCC instead of MPC"
This time the funding goal is 14.000$ ;) that make me curious.
Anyways, the printer should be mentioned on the project page.

Edit:
PrincessTrouble wrote: EDIT: When I asked, he responded: "The cards will be printed at MPC and if we hit $18,000 then we will change to USPCC :) which we hope that'll happen."
Ok, Thanks :)
labalaenlabiblia
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Sorry guys!
I missed that part but I already wrote it on the campaign. I just finished it in the morning.
:P
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

Good luck Emmanuel, the artwork is great :) Like other posters I would be concerned about the copyright issues. Randy's advice to be very careful, is sound - you simply don't want to be the 'little guy' up against lawyers of big name brands :-/ Even though you have omitted names or attempted to make the link to the series less tangible, it doesn't take much for people to make the connection. Also, with fan art (copyright issues still exist), there is more leniency when the art is created purely to show appreciation, not to sell... For your sake, I hope you'll be okay, though it might be good to do some research so you are prepared if need be :)