Reign of Sin + Rule of Virtue (Wylie Beckert)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Reign of Sin & Rule of Virtue by Wylie Beckert

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

New Wylie Beckert playing card project confirmed. Do I need to say more?

http://www.reignofsin.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Reign of Sin & Rule of Virtue by Wylie Berckert

Unread post by ecNate »

Thanks for posting!

As always from her the art is on point, but a tired theme (especially with the Culminus just being created today). Personally I will have to wait and see on full deck artwork and price. Her first one was an instant classic for sure, but I'm not sure round 2 will have the same impact on me.
REIGN OF SIN and RULE OF VIRTUE are are two faces of the same coin: a brand new two-deck playing card set loosely based on the Deadly Sins and Heavenly Virtues
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by wyliebeckert »

Haha, I was going to drop the project here when it was a little further along but yall beat me to it!

Here's the finished artwork for the first card, the King of Clubs (Pride) for Reign of Sin - there's a long way to go given the two-deck format, but I'm aiming for a kickstarter launch in 2018 if life doesn't interfere.

ecNate wrote: As always from her the art is on point, but a tired theme (especially with the Culminus just being created today). Personally I will have to wait and see on full deck artwork and price. Her first one was an instant classic for sure, but I'm not sure round 2 will have the same impact on me.
Yeah, I'll admit the deadly sins are pretty well done to death after the last few millennia; I'll be editing, substituting, and re-interpreting the themes though, to hopefully create something really unique. The art will of course be the main distinction (I'm having a lot of fun designing the full-body face cards) but the decks will also have a written narrative, similar to what I did with Wicked Kingdom, and I'm really excited to run with this theme...

Thanks for backing the first deck - hoping to win you over with this one in the end :)
I'm hand-painting a dark and twisted playing card deck...
http://www.reignofsin.com
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

I'm going with Wylie and The Art on this ....
How not ?!
But .... !
Her timing would have to be better this epoch .... I'm unwilling to wait for perfection, even when sinning.
Or perhaps ....
Anyway !
Should be interesting, in a fashion.
I could wait a little ....
I have a smallish virtue.

What ?
No ....
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

I'm not very, familiar with Wylie's work, but this artwork looks gorgeous. I can't wait to see more.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Can someone fixed the title? Wylie's last name is spelled incorrectly :o
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
sms69x
Magician: Yes

Re: Reign of Sin & Rule of Virtue by Wylie Beckert

Unread post by sms69x »

wyliebeckert wrote: Yeah, I'll admit the deadly sins are pretty well done to death after the last few millennia; I'll be editing, substituting, and re-interpreting the themes though, to hopefully create something really unique. The art will of course be the main distinction (I'm having a lot of fun designing the full-body face cards) but the decks will also have a written narrative, similar to what I did with Wicked Kingdom, and I'm really excited to run with this theme...
The theme maybe over done in the last few years, but your artwork makes it unique... I don't mind having another Sins deck done by you.

If I may, please consider a more elaborate tuck box (when compared to Wicked Kingdom), add all the whistles and bells we're used to (foil, embossing at least!). Is such a pitty - regarding Wicked Kingdom - to have such a great deck o cards encased in a lesser tuck box! When I show it to my friends, they go like, "meh... isn't that good", until they see the cards themselves!!.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Bruno wrote:I have a smallish virtue.
That's what she said.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)
This space intentionally left blank.
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Waaall, that was th'inference ....
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

sms69x wrote:If I may, please consider a more elaborate tuck box (when compared to Wicked Kingdom), add all the whistles and bells we're used to (foil, embossing at least!). Is such a pitty - regarding Wicked Kingdom - to have such a great deck o cards encased in a lesser tuck box! When I show it to my friends, they go like, "meh... isn't that good", until they see the cards themselves!!.
I've been considering some extras for the tuck this time around (if not for the entire run, then at least for a limited/special edition set)... still not 100% sold though. The embossing samples from USPCC I have in hand are pretty underwhelming (single level embossing is barely even perceptible, sculpted emboss is only a little bit better - do these effects turn out better on actual tucks, or are creators outsourcing the fancier tucks on their USPCC decks to another company?)

Either way, I'm definitely planning on purpose-built art for the tuck case (as opposed to WK's text-heavy design) that will be more in keeping with the contents of the deck and should make for a more exciting overall package, especially for collectors who like to keep their decks sealed.
Scorpio_1973

Unread post by Scorpio_1973 »

Any deck from Wylie and I'm in! So much talent!
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

wyliebeckert wrote: I've been considering some extras for the tuck this time around (if not for the entire run, then at least for a limited/special edition set)... still not 100% sold though. The embossing samples from USPCC I have in hand are pretty underwhelming (single level embossing is barely even perceptible, sculpted emboss is only a little bit better - do these effects turn out better on actual tucks, or are creators outsourcing the fancier tucks on their USPCC decks to another company?)
Well I'm not sure if all the decks I have printed by USPCC have the tucks done by USPCC also, but I believe that some creators outsource the tuck boxes. You can try to have a work with Alex Chin (from Seasons Playing Cards) to figure out where he makes his tuck boxes (Alex produces some of the greatest tuck boxes out there).

Hope other creators (Gio, Lorenzo, Rick Davidson, Chirs Ovdiyenko) can give you some insight on that!
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

sms69x wrote:
wyliebeckert wrote: I've been considering some extras for the tuck this time around (if not for the entire run, then at least for a limited/special edition set)... still not 100% sold though. The embossing samples from USPCC I have in hand are pretty underwhelming (single level embossing is barely even perceptible, sculpted emboss is only a little bit better - do these effects turn out better on actual tucks, or are creators outsourcing the fancier tucks on their USPCC decks to another company?)
Well I'm not sure if all the decks I have printed by USPCC have the tucks done by USPCC also, but I believe that some creators outsource the tuck boxes. You can try to have a work with Alex Chin (from Seasons Playing Cards) to figure out where he makes his tuck boxes (Alex produces some of the greatest tuck boxes out there).

Hope other creators (Gio, Lorenzo, Rick Davidson, Chirs Ovdiyenko) can give you some insight on that!
Alex used the sculpted embossing from USPCC. I know Gio, Thirdway Industry, is using EPCC China for his deep embossing of SINS.
Move on, nothing to see here.
cartamundicards
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by cartamundicards »

wyliebeckert wrote:Haha, I was going to drop the project here when it was a little further along but yall beat me to it!

Here's the finished artwork for the first card, the King of Clubs (Pride) for Reign of Sin - there's a long way to go given the two-deck format, but I'm aiming for a kickstarter launch in 2018 if life doesn't interfere.

ecNate wrote: As always from her the art is on point, but a tired theme (especially with the Culminus just being created today). Personally I will have to wait and see on full deck artwork and price. Her first one was an instant classic for sure, but I'm not sure round 2 will have the same impact on me.
Yeah, I'll admit the deadly sins are pretty well done to death after the last few millennia; I'll be editing, substituting, and re-interpreting the themes though, to hopefully create something really unique. The art will of course be the main distinction (I'm having a lot of fun designing the full-body face cards) but the decks will also have a written narrative, similar to what I did with Wicked Kingdom, and I'm really excited to run with this theme...

Thanks for backing the first deck - hoping to win you over with this one in the end :)

wow this is simply stunning! great work! can't wait for it to come out!
Jirs Huygen
Cartamundi Playing Card Ambassador
(and all round playing card fanatic)
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Your artwork is absolutely gorgeous!

I love the break in symmetry to illustrate contrast too
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Reign of Sin + Rule of Virtue (Wylie Beckert)

Unread post by Merlebird »

From the designer of the Wicked Kingdom deck....
beckert-rosrov.png
beckert-rosrov.png (747.18 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
GET HYPE Y'ALL
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937

Re: Reign of Sin + Rule of Virtue (Wylie Beckert)

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Merlebird

Well shucks. I should've just clicked on her username to check... can a mod combine the threads?
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Merlebird wrote:Well shucks. I should've just clicked on her username to check... can a mod combine the threads?
You theoretical space-wasting SOB.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Merlebird

TwoPieceFeed wrote:
Merlebird wrote:Well shucks. I should've just clicked on her username to check... can a mod combine the threads?
Mom, is that you? Get off the forum, you're embarrassing me in front of my friends!
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Merlebird wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:
Mom, is that you? Get off the forum, you're embarrassing me in front of my friends!
Something something something dark side, something something something your mom.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

wyliebeckert wrote:I've been considering some extras for the tuck this time around (if not for the entire run, then at least for a limited/special edition set)... still not 100% sold though. The embossing samples from USPCC I have in hand are pretty underwhelming (single level embossing is barely even perceptible, sculpted emboss is only a little bit better - do these effects turn out better on actual tucks, or are creators outsourcing the fancier tucks on their USPCC decks to another company?
If there is still a need for this and since I read nobody has dropped the names of some of the best in the game, I'll just drop http://www.clovestpress.com/ and https://www.oathplayingcards.com/

'nuff said.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
chicken_ql

Unread post by chicken_ql »

Gotta pick up like 30
Harvonsgard

chicken_ql wrote:Gotta pick up like 30
You mean 15/15 or 30 each? :lol:
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
chicken_ql

shiroo56 wrote:
30 bricks
Harvonsgard

chicken_ql wrote:
shiroo56 wrote:
30 bricks
My bad. Split bricks or 30 bricks each? :lol:

chicken_ql

shiroo56 wrote:
chicken_ql wrote:
shiroo56 wrote:
30 bricks
My bad. Split bricks or 30 bricks each? :lol:
Each most likely. :D
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Darn it, ya'll whippersnappers gave me and probably quite a few others false hope that she's actually ready to launch this! Bah.
Harvonsgard

Eric Lee wrote:Darn it, ya'll whippersnappers gave me and probably quite a few others false hope that she's actually ready to launch this! Bah.
Sorry... :lol: :lol:

wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

I figure I'm way overdue for an update on Reign of Sin!

Over the past few years, this project has been waylaid by so many personal tragedies and large-scale disasters that I'm starting to believe it might actually be cursed (it's definitely to blame for COVID... sorry.) But, it's finally far enough along that it's officially time to start looking forward to the eventual launch!

As of this post, I'm 100% finished with the dark deck (Reign of Sin) and almost 3/4 of the way through the light deck (Rule of Virtue). You can check out the progress below. My current plan is to have both decks wrapped up for a Kickstarter launch in January, which I'm hoping will put me on the other side of the manufacturing and shipping delays caused by COVID.

Here's the dark deck, Reign of Sin (finished!)

And the light deck, Rule of Virtue (still in progress.)

I'm including closueps of a couple of my favorite cards below. As with Wicked Kingdom, there's a narrative to go with each card; I'll be collecting all of the art and writing into an art book that will be offered alongside the decks in the Kickstarter. You can find some of the writings (and a link to join the mailing list if you'd like a heads up when the launch happens) at http://www.reignofsin.com