Bharata Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Bharata Playing Cards - Live now on Kickstarter

Unread post by guru »

Survey for expression of interest in handcrafted deck here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1916744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

A pledge cancellation has made an EB 2 decks deck tier available now. Good opportunity to back the project or change your standard deck 2-decks tier to an early bird tier & save a few bucks.

See...UC folks are always on my mind..
Gonzalo
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by Gonzalo »

guru wrote:A pledge cancellation has made an EB 2 decks deck tier available now.

No, it's not available anymore. ;)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

New Stretch goal announced: holographic foil, embossing along with the announcement of 100% money back guarantee.

Click below:

New Stretch Goals, Money-back guarantee & addressing an age old problem faced by backers of playing card decks on Kickstarter
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

I'm still fairly new to this, but I really like how you run your campaigns.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

vedus wrote:I'm still fairly new to this, but I really like how you run your campaigns.
I just try to do whatever I can and keep communication channels open. On another note, I've tested and seen the application of holographic foil. Very beautiful, indeed. Changing color at every angle made me remember the VXD deck video on youtube. Foiling increases the risk in production always but this bit of homework will help in making sure there are either no or very less surprises in Production.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Embossing render proof sent by the printer can be seen here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1923743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks so good that I think I'm going to cave in and go for embossing even if the project doesn't reach the stretch goal.
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Would be a great feature..
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Bit the bullet and announced both foil & embossing to be made available on the tuck. Validated it with the printer and they are also inclined to get this done on Bharata deck. Ultra exclusive and 100% handcrafted deck available now too. Latest update here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1927900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Collector's edition box available now.

Here are the details:

1. Handcrafted, painted and lacquered by craftsmen from Sawantwadi Lacquerwares in India.

2. Made of one of the most expensive woods locally known as Shivan. Very durable with high resistance to moisture. Better than Mahogany, Pecan, Walnut and other wood types (you will usually see wooden boxes for decks made of either Mahogany, Pecan or Walnut or a combination of these). As an example, if you have outdoor furniture made of Shivan & Mahogany, it is estimated that shivan furniture can last upto 80-90 years but furniture made of mahogany can last not more than 40 years.

3. Lacquer process increases the durability of the wood, makes it waterproof and attractive to feel and look at.

4. Handpainted with ancient floral motifs said to be a blend of the traditional Spanish & Portuguese styles with Indian motifs.

5. Holds 2 Bharata decks.

Check latest update here to know more: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1929540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Looking for advice.....

1. Planning to include 2 addl. cards for the first deck - One doublebacker and another a blank card. Is it a good idea to include these? I might not declare this on Kickstarter even, will be a surprise for most backers except the folks here on UC.

2. I want to do non-gilded decks (very less qty like 50-100). Looking to start the production next week so I need to be clear on what I need the printer to do. If I use same tuck, then it will cause confusion and even can make backers furious. Could even lead to shipping errors in case people opt for gilded & non-gilded decks. One option I see is to use a seal/stamp to differentiate. It can still lead to shipping errors when fulfillment partner receives the decks because the difference is subtle (seal vs non-sealed decks). Other option for me is to use a different tuck. A simple option is to have embossed tuck for gilded and non-embossed tuck for non-gilded decks. It still requires 2 different moulds because my default option is an embossed tuck. Other option is a completely new tuckbox design but then it affects my plan for production schedule plus adds to the cost too.

3. It is evident that tarot edition deck is not likely to fund. First option is to launch it again with a lower funding goal immediately after this existing KS ends. Second option is to fulfill the existing deck first which should be done between Sept-Nov. And then, launch the tarot deck afterwards. THe first option can help me save a bit on shipping in case I ship both decks together to backers who pledged for both.Given I offer shipping included, it should help me save on pledges for common backers.

What do you prefer? Thoughts??

I welcome any and all suggestions on the above.
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

1. Double backer and blank card makes no sense to me on this particularly deck. I guess noone (including me) will use it for magic!! I would go for an info card and an extra joker (a complete drawing of the elephant you have on the back would look nice)!

2. I vote in a new tuck box, if that can lead to delays or rise the production cost too much, then an embossed vs non-embossed tuck seems a good option.

3. The way I see it, the tarot deck won't happen because it isn't a full tarot deck, it reminds me of Arcana deck by Cris Ovdiyenko, when he started there was only 4 Major arcana cards in the deck, he then was "forced" to produce a full tarot deck. In your case I like the tarot cards, but they are just four. If you intend to lauch the tarot deck as a separate campaign then do a full tarot deck, I sure you'll get it funded as the artwork for the four cards you show in the KS is great.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

sms69x wrote:1. Double backer and blank card makes no sense to me on this particularly deck. I guess noone (including me) will use it for magic!! I would go for an info card and an extra joker (a complete drawing of the elephant you have on the back would look nice)!

2. I vote in a new tuck box, if that can lead to delays or rise the production cost too much, then an embossed vs non-embossed tuck seems a good option.

3. The way I see it, the tarot deck won't happen because it isn't a full tarot deck, it reminds me of Arcana deck by Cris Ovdiyenko, when he started there was only 4 Major arcana cards in the deck, he then was "forced" to produce a full tarot deck. In your case I like the tarot cards, but they are just four. If you intend to lauch the tarot deck as a separate campaign then do a full tarot deck, I sure you'll get it funded as the artwork for the four cards you show in the KS is great.
1. Agree with sms69x on extra cards.

2. Can you use the same tuck design but don't emboss or foil it for non gilded decks? Use a different color ink where foil would have been.

3. Agree on full tarot. Your artist is that good! Maybe give small discount to Bharata backers. I know Noir Arts did for backers of their Memento Mori (think it was this deck) if they had backed earlier one. I'm sure Roman can tell you how he knew who backed first deck to get discount on new project.
Move on, nothing to see here.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I like double backer cards, lots of utility there. I would suggest a tribute card(s) which lists all your backers, or at least your biggest backers - this would make your deck more personal and special for your supporters.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

I like the full tarot option too - though there you have another choice to make, as a FULL tarot deck is 78 cards :) If you chose to do just the minor arcana (56) you introduce the pages (extra courts) without any major arcana cards. I've been thinking about doing a playing card sized tarot deck for some time - and I like the idea of splitting the cards between two boxes, though I know that adds a level of complexity (and sorting for those who want to keep their deck in order). I'm sure you'll solve it in a good way though :)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

sms69x wrote:1. Double backer and blank card makes no sense to me on this particularly deck. I guess noone (including me) will use it for magic!! I would go for an info card and an extra joker (a complete drawing of the elephant you have on the back would look nice)!
sinjin7 wrote: I like double backer cards, lots of utility there.
For the current deck, I am thinking to go with an extra joker and a double backer. Because of the tarot inspired deck, my production quote included 56 cards for both decks, and the original version has only 54 cards. Option is either to go with 54 as what is there now , or go for 56 cards by including two addl. cards.

I wanted to start production next week and need to take the decision in a day or two.

ninelives wrote: I like the full tarot option too
Annette - Thanks for reading my mind :)

I do have both minor arcana version & a full tarot deck on the radar but before that would like to do a transformation deck.
sinjin7 wrote: I would suggest a tribute card(s) which lists all your backers, or at least your biggest backers - this would make your deck more personal and special for your supporters.
Thanks John for the suggestion.

Tribute card has always been in my mind since the first Ganjifa project. The idea does look good, but I don't want to categorise backers by just including the biggest ones in there. From the start, I have always included same shipping for everyone, never offered any add-on or reward that ties to a higher pledged reward or can be pledged only when someone opts for 6-12 or more decks. So, any categorisation goes against what I've done till today.

Putting every name on the card is a more viable option but then space constraints on card, getting the names of all backers has its own challenges. I would need to send the survey immediately, and then even follow up with some who love filling the surveys at the very end when shipping is about to start.

I think there are other ways to send a tribute or thanks to backers and I hope to incorporate it in a future project ;)

Thoughts?

RichK wrote: Maybe give small discount to Bharata backers. I know Noir Arts did for backers of their Memento Mori (think it was this deck) if they had backed earlier one. I'm sure Roman can tell you how he knew who backed first deck to get discount on new project.
Hmm.thx Rich. I'll check out this project. I didn't know that Noir Arts did Memento Mori. Have been seeing messages lately about the Version 2 being done without taking Chris Ramsay on board. Anyways, I do have a mechanism to distinguish old vs new backers. It is easily doable in Microsoft Excel by getting the export of names & address.

Rather than a discount, I would like to provide better specs n features like in the current project, the inclusion of holographic foil, embossing or the inclusion of a numbered stamp on Divine Art deck. These all were included without stretch goals.....And, I don't think you would see any such instance when you compare deck specs vs funding raised on Kickstarter.

I'm trying to figure out the best and most economical way to get the non-gilded deck done without causing any confusion to backers or even during shipment. Let's see.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions btw....I do hope to show the extra card/s before the campaign ends on Wednesday, 12th July.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Hmm.thx Rich. I'll check out this project. I didn't know that Noir Arts did Memento Mori. Have been seeing messages lately about the Version 2 being done without taking Chris Ramsay on board. Anyways, I do have a mechanism to distinguish old vs new backers. It is easily doable in Microsoft Excel by getting the export of names & address.
They did one, it's all about death. I don't know if they or Chris Ramsey picked the name first but it does cause confusion. I looked and if you backed it you got a discount on their Bone and Ebon decks. Yes a spreadsheet would be very easy to tell.

Good luck!
Move on, nothing to see here.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks Rich.

Just posted an update on Kickstarter about the addl. 2 cards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1933166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3rd Joker is here:
3rd_Joker.jpg
JuFiN
Player: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

I love that 3rd joker, the way it incorporates the various suits of cards without giving up anything in terms of flow or style is super dope.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Just saw a pledge cancellation for 4 decks EB. Anyone who has got a 3 deck Standard tier gains much better if he/she moves to the 4 deck EB tier....
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

@All- We're funded. Thanks for the support.

I've launched the tarot deck and it runs for a short duration too. See you there.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pablo

Unread post by pablo »

Really wish this was a full tarot deck with all cards illustrated like the tower, death. It seems lile one of the few times you've comprimised on the actual goal

Enviado desde mi Aquaris_M4.5 mediante Tapatalk
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

Conversely, I backed the new deck and wouldn't have if it was a full tarot.
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Did you find it yet pablo?
The bit where Sunish pulls a swifty on us and compromises his integrity by going back on his stated intention of producing a full tarot ? (deep breath)
No ?
Couldn't find that exact bit ?
Probly a reason fer that pabs.
His tarot never was going to be a full on tarot type tarot ....
Simply a nice blue poker type tarot.
So ....
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
pablo

Unread post by pablo »

Bruno wrote:Did you find it yet pablo?
The bit where Sunish pulls a swifty on us and compromises his integrity by going back on his stated intention of producing a full tarot ? (deep breath)
No ?
Couldn't find that exact bit ?
Probly a reason fer that pabs.
His tarot never was going to be a full on tarot type tarot ....
Simply a nice blue poker type tarot.
So.
I think maybe the compromised integrity belongs wholly to your good self ?

You have had time to explore your error, it should not have taken this amount of time to retract the above, hey.

This message will self destruct in .... :?:
Sorry Bruno, sorry Sunish. I retract my statement and hope my integrity is restored. [emoji14]

In all fairness, maybe i did phrase it wrong (though your approach, Bruno, isn't any better). My view is that a poker deck with 4 tarot cards is not a full tarot and having already put in production a poker deck Im not sure about why the "tarot" deck that IS a compromise between a poker and a tarot deck is happening in the first place. Sunish never compromises on a product and always tries to get the most for his backers, so why not go with a full tarot? I really like the art on the tarot cards and would love to see more of it.
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Sunish, he's a great one for exploring the avenues towards getting the better result ....
In a game where sleight gets out of hand, I reckon that the only thing Sunish Chabra ever compromises would be his own finances.
Thanks for coming back pablo.
I just could not leave your post unanswered .... :D
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks guys for the feedback & suggestions.

I'd seriously like to get the tarot inspired deck funded. Even if there are people who are not tarot collectors or enthusiasts, it does provide 4 extra cards apart from the usual 52, and comes with a new back and tuck as compared to the other version.

I'm aware that there will be an expectation towards getting a full tarot deck or an expansion having Major Arcana, before I move to that, I'd like to see the uptake of the current deck by backers. I also understand that GPCC being a new entity, there is going to be a general lack of confidence by a no. of folks on KIckstarter but I'm looking for people who take a leap of faith or can give a chance to new creators. For the former, the work will speak itself.

That said, an expansion is already there in my backlog of work, so it will happen in future. Now, I'd like to see how this deck fares even though it is an usual departure from a regular poker deck by having different pips on other diagonal & 4 cards but no jokers. Let's see.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

Good luck with the campaign Sunish :)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Bharata Playing Cards

Unread post by guru »

Shared an update for Bharata tarot deck. There is a plan for a stretch goal of interior foil on tuckbox.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1937305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Bharata Playing Cards

Unread post by guru »

Just posted a Production update. It is going well folks...Fingers crossed for the next steps.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1942147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;