VIZAĜO by Abolina Art - Shipping soon

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: VIZAĜO by Abolina Art - LIVE on KS

Unread post by NineLives »

Hi all,

Halfway to funded, just over a week into the campaign is super exciting. With so much amazing support I'm also biting my nails worrying if there is anything I should do to help this baby along towards and beyond funding?

I steered away from the raft of add-ons, mainly because I didn't want to complicate my first KS campaign - but also, because the artwork and the cards is what I know and what I am passionate about. I don't know much about dealer chips, coins, collector boxes and other cool things - and venturing into that territory without understanding the ins and outs could perhaps appear less genuine and more like an afterthought...

Still, I'm ever so keen for VIZAĜO to fund - and I'd love to hear your thoughts if any of these ideas are worth looking at:

- Mini Deck (printed by MPC on linen stock) - a novelty size deck (one version: either Lumina (red) or Lumino (blue) to compliment the poker size cards.

- A third colour version as a Limited Edition deck. While I love the idea of a third colour, I'm less sure about introducing a limited edition half-way through the campaign.

- Milestone or special gifts added to selected tiers: signed card, stickers...

I made a limited number of Nine Lives (poker size) playing cards available, which got a fair bit of interest (exclusive campaign offer with lower shipping cost). Now I'm off to try and solve Lorenzo's quest or I'll run out of nails :D

Thanks so much for looking - and happy backing!
Annette :)
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I've come to realize I'm in a minority here but I'll give you my opinion anyway. Since it's an unpopular opinion it probably won't help you much but here goes:
There are many things about this deck that I like- the colors, the courts, the backs, the pips, etc. I am a sucker for USPCC Bicycle-branded decks so I would back this 100% if this deck were Bicycle-branded but I understand that will cost more money which doesn't help you get the deck funded. A smaller complaint is the name of the deck. I understand its origin but it doesn't change the fact that it's still a non-English word and unaestheticly pleasing to my eye. I also don't usually opt for add-ons so I'm not sure if that will help you but I wish you luck and hope these decks see the light of day!
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you vasta41 - your opinion does help! I appreciate your brand loyalty - and I gather that you're not alone in favouring USPCC (and Bicycle branded decks). For me, understanding that collectors are inspired by different things in a deck project, helps me see that one size doesn't fit all. I'm glad you like so much about this deck and I thank you for your kind words :)
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Collector: Yes

Unread post by shermjack »

Annette, I still think you should consider offering your original artwork for the decks for sale (at least the court cards and aces). I know you don't want to complicate your project too much, but shipping 16 pieces shouldn't be that difficult (but what do I know) and it is still about your art and not just some silly add-on. Other artists (i.e. Wylie Beckett/Wicked Kingdom and Immy Smith/Cryptic Cards) have done this and have added a nice boost to their campaign. ;)
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you shermjack - you might be convincing me :)

I can't offer the original ink drawings because I drew them in a large book (and cutting them out would seem a little strange :))

However ...

I can offer art prints of completed artwork for Courts and Aces (close to A3 size), printed on archival photographic paper. Each print would be signed and carefully shipped inside a sturdy tube...

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

I agree with Shermjack. Signed artwork prints would be great. I think the deck would also make an awesome uncut sheet but they usually don't sell very well and are a pain to ship. I am personally against Limited Edition stuff and I appreciate you making your work available at an affordable price to all. I'm not so big on the Bicycle brand but do prefer USPCC as a printer. Don't care for mini-decks and I don't think a 3rd color is worthwhile printing. I see you got reviewed on Max's site. You might consider contacting Victor (jerichoholic), Ender's Game, or Magic_Orthodoxy for a review. I don't do much on social media but there might be some avenues there you can explore.

BTW, I did my part by adding another deck to my pledge. I really want this project to fund and can't think of a good reason that it shouldn't.
EndersGame
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by EndersGame »

flashcards wrote:I see you got reviewed on Max's site. You might consider contacting Victor (jerichoholic), Ender's Game, or Magic_Orthodoxy for a review. I don't do much on social media but there might be some avenues there you can explore.
Thanks for mentioning me. I already posted a review of all of Annette's decks (including VIZAGO) here, along with an introduction to her other artwork. You might want to take a look if you'd like to get an idea of what else she does.

Annette is a very talented and creative artist! I'm a huge fan of the VIZAGO design, and I am loudly cheering for it to succeed! :)
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Awesome guys thank you :)

@flashcards - your comments on Limited Edition, mini decks and printer really make sense and put me at ease. The whole thing for me in terms of not complicating the campaign, is about venturing into unfamiliar territory (like with dealer coins, dice, collector boxes)... Obviously any add-on will add a layer of complexity, yet focusing on the area I know (artwork and playing cards) I think makes signed art prints well worth considering as an add-on :) - I'm also thinking of postcard packs (20 cards in each), which would make it two nice art-related add-ons :)

Thank you so much for all your support in the campaign, I can't say how much it means to me! :)

@EndersGame - Thank you - You're a star! You have done an amazing amount of cheering, supporting and listening to my idea-bouncing - having people like your good self believing in this deck is so encouraging :)

And .... Apologies - I thought I had included links to the awesome review articles by Max, Kardify and EndersGame here - I posted the links in the campaign update and must have thought I posted here as well... sorry - I truly have a sieve brain at the moment :)

Max Playing Cards - VIZAĜO Playing Cards. Fill your face with joy and color: http://www.maxplayingcards.com/en/2017/ ... and-color/

Kardify - Kickstarter: 7 Questions with Annette Abolins: http://www.kardify.com/2017/05/kickstar ... nette.html

EndersGame - Enders Comprehensive Pictorial Overview: Many Faces: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/17 ... many-faces

NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Latest campaign update includes two New addons - focussing on the artwork

Artwork Prints
Available in courts and aces - these will be printed on archival quality photographic paper (12 x 18") and individually signed by me.

Add-on price includes world-wide shipping (with tracking) from Australia - 1 art print = $99 AU (~75 US) 2 art prints = $170 AU (~128 US)

Postcard Pack - 20 premium cards - 5 x 7"

Add-on price includes world-wide shipping from Australia - $46 AU (~35 US)

Thank you for all your feedback and suggestions, I'm excited to see how these new add-ons go.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Just past the midway point in the campaign, we're edging closer but still a fair way off. For a first time creator on KS I am curious if there is anything else I should be doing?

I'd really, really love to see this deck printed, though I'm a realist too and understand it takes that extra leap of faith for backers to jump on board with creators they haven't seen on KS before.

That said, I'm so glad for all the support so far - people are amazing :)
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

Hi! Just my 2cents. The Blue deck should be unlocked from the beginning of your campaign. There is no reason to make it a stretch goal of 25k. Why do you need 12.5k to print one deck? 30 days for a campaign is against latest trends as nobody likes to wait ;) If you can print both decks for 10k try to set this goal and you will ***probably*** receive more than that. Good luck!!!
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks for your suggestions montenzi :)

However, my margins are way tighter - and there's no way I could print both decks for 10K :(

The funding goal $15k AUD + stretch (blue deck) $24k AUD is the minimum I need to print and ship the decks ... Legends minimum print run is 1000 decks (which is my main goal) - To print 2000 (= both decks) is twice the amount, as the qty isn't enough to bring the cost per deck down - synthetic tuck adds around $1 per deck ... and once you add (printer) setup fees, KS fees, shipping & transaction fees; the goal (barely) covers my costs.

I chose Legends because I love the quality of both LPCC and EPCC - and Gambler's because their reputation in shipping playing cards is great.

I do appreciate your points, because with a different scenario (and initial costs) it would make perfect sense to have both decks unlocked and a lower funding goal. :)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

NineLives wrote:Thanks for your suggestions montenzi :)

However, my margins are way tighter - and there's no way I could print both decks for 10K :(

The funding goal $15k AUD + stretch (blue deck) $24k AUD is the minimum I need to print and ship the decks ... Legends minimum print run is 1000 decks (which is my main goal) - To print 2000 (= both decks) is twice the amount, as the qty isn't enough to bring the cost per deck down - synthetic tuck adds around $1 per deck ... and once you add (printer) setup fees, KS fees, shipping & transaction fees; the goal (barely) covers my costs.

I chose Legends because I love the quality of both LPCC and EPCC - and Gambler's because their reputation in shipping playing cards is great.

I do appreciate your points, because with a different scenario (and initial costs) it would make perfect sense to have both decks unlocked and a lower funding goal. :)
+1. Having seen and compared quotes with multiple printers, I concur with you Annette. We have to consider the forex conversion into account and there always need to be a small buffer for any eventuality. For Bharata deck, I eat and slept with numbers for a few days, got a very tight funding and a stretch goal with very tight margin ( I can say it is negligible), still I felt the project struggled and I have to go for a Plan B. Kickstarter is a very difficult beast to tame.

But, I am sure Vizago will see the light of the day. Chin up! Wish you all the best.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks Sunish :)
I can relate to the sleeping with numbers bit... I had spreadsheets coming out my ears while doing the figures! It's a lot of work, but definitely exciting as well - hoping to see something printed that you've worked on for a year (or more) is well worth it.

I'm positive you will get there with Bharata (95%! congratulations :)).

Thanks for the vote of confidence, means a lot :)
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello all :)

With only a short time remaining on the campaign I wanted to let you know that I am about to cancel ... and relaunch!
It's been an amazing journey and along with all the wonderful support, I truly believe this deck needs another chance at funding.

After consulting with current backers and making a few adjustments, I am ready to relaunch with a new and lower funding goal:
While I really liked the idea of the synthetic tuck, I feel it may have been a little too ambitious for my first campaign (especially as it does push the cost per deck up quite a bit).

VIZAĜO - Relaunch features:

- Funding goal $11,000 AUD (~$8,300 US)
- 1st Edition (shown on tuck box) - limited print quantity
- Printed by Legends - on classic finish
- Standard Tuck box (instead of Synthetic tuck)
- Lower stretch goal for second (blue) deck

Preview link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... n=ba28dd8d

I hope to see you there as the journey continues!

Thanks and all the best,
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

I wish you the very best luck Annette!

Your hard work deserves it

;)
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you Max :) and you deserve a medal for your wonderful support! :)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
EndersGame

Unfortunately the original project didn't get funded, but the VIZAGO Playing Cards project (see my review here) has just been relaunched in an improved form, with a much smaller target for funding.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... s-relaunch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a terrific early bird price of US$11 per deck, including US shipping.

Best wishes for success this time around Annette!
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you EndersGame for relinking to your awesome review (gosh you're quick!) :)

Glad to be up and running again :)

and... with new energy, streamers, furry friend and balloons... I simply couldn't help myself :D :

Thanks all - and welcome!

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

LIVE!

And backed- good luck this time!
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you vasta41 - both for adding the kicktraq and for your awesome support!

Feeling positive about getting across the line this time :)
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Currently at 60% - one little step at the time :)

Any feedback or ideas you may have are most welcome!

I created a gallery on my website with a whole bunch of images to give an overview of the deck (without the need to scroll heaps) There's single card images of all the courts, and card back designs, tuck boxes + Aces & number cards combined...

http://www.abolinaart.com.au/blog/vizago-playing-cards/

All the best,
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

Annette,

Your restless efforts to make this deck real only make me respecting you more and more each day.

I can only wish you the success you deserve.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

max wrote:Annette,

Your restless efforts to make this deck real only make me respecting you more and more each day.

I can only wish you the success you deserve.
Max - your respect and good wishes makes it all worth-while :) thank you!

Prototype decks are on their way (printed by MPC)! - and I can't wait to show you photos!
On top of being a final check for the artwork/layout -these prototypes will be an exciting first look at how this baby prints. To me, this will be one big step closer to Legend's printing presses (even though it's a detour via a different printer :D)
sms69x
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

I can't understand how this one isn't yet funded, very frustating this situation.

Keep sharing the project, I don't see you doing many KS cross-promotions, maybe you can talk to other creators to help you share the project. I you don't need to go with just creators running projects right now, reach renowned (Lotrek, Giovanni, Lorenzo, Rick, Jody, Chris, ...) as they constantly do updates on their finished projects to keep backers up-to-date on what's going on, so you can try that.

Best of lucks.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you sms69x for your insights :) I have been talking to creators with live campaigns (and we've had a few cross promotions) - I hadn't thought to reach out to those creators not currently running campaigns... which is a great idea though I wouldn't want to seem too pushy...

Some decks take off and fund really quickly - others climb slowly... I haven't figured out the KS formula of what works, though am hopeful that VIZAĜO is a late bloomer and will cross the funding goal soon.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

We're now at 65% with just under 2 weeks to go!

The goal is definitely within reach, so if you know anyone out there who might love these cards, I'd be thrilled if you passed on this link:
http://kck.st/2t7ANrO

Prototypes due to arrive very soon and I'll be updating with photos as soon as they're here :)

Thanks and all the best,
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

******** VIZAĜO has funded! ******** Thank you!! and Yay! :)

8 days to go and we've crossed the funding line, thanks to 172 amazing backers and a day of big pledges. I am overwhelmed and so grateful for the opportunity to take this deck to Legend's printing presses and from there, deliver it to your most deserving hands! Thank you all!! :)

I also want to share some photos (more in update #8) of the prototype decks printed by MPC. I'm really happy with how they turned out and hope you enjoy this first look at the printed cards:

Thanks and all the best,
EndersGame

Great news - congratulations Annette!

This project isn't only a reflection of your artistic talent and creativity, but also of your dedication, hard work, enthusiasm, and commitment. I am so thrilled for you that this has crossed the line, and I am glad that the vibrancy of your personal character which this deck clearly reflects will have opportunity to shine around the world from the hands of everyone who holds a published copy of this beautiful deck.

Congratulations on a well-deserved success for a very hard-working and talented designer!
--

NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you Enders - so many kind words!
Honestly, I'm just really lucky to have so many awesome people wanting to support this project - it really does mean the world :)
I feel like throwing a party for all of you!!

Funded - to be printed - the real deck of cards!!!! - makes a girl almost faint :)