Decks from other countries

If you have questions about, or submissions for, the Knowledge Base post them here.
rookiecrdnut
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 514

Decks from other countries

Unread post by rookiecrdnut »

I'm looking to add some decks from other countries to my collection. Can anyone give me some advice on how I can go about doing so or some positive or negative thoughts on the idea? Where to buy other than Ebay, where can I see decks that are out, etc etc is info that I'm seeking. Being somewhat new to the hobby any other info would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Mike
http://www.portfolio52.com/profile/50/collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ecNate
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Decks from other countries

Unread post by ecNate »

The French suits, common in US and England, are often considered the standard. However, different suits and even number of cards are common in different countries. Germany and Italy/Spain commonly use different suits (acorns, leaves, bells, hearts in Germany and cups, coins, clubs, swords in Italy/Spain). Russian and former soviet countries often have different styled courts and asian countries have unique decks (hanafuda in Japan) and cardistry is really popular in south east asian countries with magic and cardistry decks being produced out of there.

I know there's at least one popular card forum in Spain, but can't find the link. There's also this - http://i-p-c-s.org/faq/societies.php

In general though I think KickStarter is the place around the world for custom new decks and ebay is probably your best bet for other decks.

http://www.wopc.co.uk/countries
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suit_(cards)
viewforum.php?f=39
rookiecrdnut

Thanks ecNate for the info. I've been looking through Ebay and become pretty interested in the Piatnik cards so far. The boxes look cool and I like the art on the cards. I'm also finding out that trying to obtain decks from other countries may not be that easy.
http://www.portfolio52.com/profile/50/collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

The Spanish forum you are looking for is Reina de Oros! There's quite a few of us that speak English, so if you have questions about Spanish cards, come and feel free to ask!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
rookiecrdnut

I'm not sure if I can ask this question so I'm sorry in advance if I can't. Was wondering if anyone living outside the US would help me in obtaining some decks both new and vintage? Please PM me if interested. Thanks again.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

One website that I can recommend for you is Naipeszaca.com. They are located in Spain and sell a whole bunch of different kinds of decks, including some vintage ones. They do have international shipping, and in small packages it isn't too costly, however I have found that the price goes up a lot if you order a big pile of decks from them.

If you are into custom decks, I can recommend an old French printer called Grimaud. They did a lot of custom decks in 70's and 80's and some of them are really cool looking, like decks called 1900 or Jules Verne. Their decks can still be found, both opened and unopened and the prices seem to move a lot, as some sell them for 20-50 USD per deck, but if you can find a French seller, they might sell them a whole lot cheaper, about 10 USD per deck, or less. Grimaud is nowadays part of Cartamundi.

I come from Finland and I can tell you that there are no custom decks in here, except this one: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8682&p=103853&hilit=Turku#p103853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you want one, you can PM me.

Also I came about this seller just yestarday: https://www.rubylane.com/shop/twoforhisheels/ilist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There are lot of old decks on sale there, but the prices are quite high. I have no experience with this seller, but seems trustworthy.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

FYI - I have ordered from that seller before and no issues at all, other than price. However, if they have what you want and you don't want to wait I wouldn't hesitate.