Tuck box damage

If you have questions about, or submissions for, the Knowledge Base post them here.
rookiecrdnut
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 514

Tuck box damage

Unread post by rookiecrdnut »

I've recently been getting tuck boxes with damaged corners on them and I'm wondering if I should send them back. Question is, how important is the condition of the box and does it affect value? I know from being a former sports card collector that even the smallest scratch or corner ding can affect the card value significantly. Is this true with the box in this hobby? I'm a collector so i'm not opening them and have no way of telling if the cards inside are damaged. I'm not in this hobby for resale but who knows what will happen to them when they past down. Any help or advice appreciated.
http://www.portfolio52.com/profile/50/collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JuFiN
Player: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: Tuck box damage

Unread post by JuFiN »

Bumped or damaged tucks do in fact pretty notably decrease the value. Im not the expert on this sort of things, but many sites sell bumped ducks in bulk at a 50% discount and if you look through the market place on here or on ebay you will notice that bumped or opened decks sell for at LEAST 50% off if not more.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Some collectors never open their decks - the importance of factory pristine quality, down to the cellophane and seals intact, is paramount.
Just this week a member described themselves as a tuck Collector for this very reason.

Personally I do open my decks so I'm not quite as demanding on that front, but I still value quality and condition.
rookiecrdnut
Decks Owned: 514

Unread post by rookiecrdnut »

Thanks for the replys. Damaged boxes has been a reoccurring thing with me lately. I've sent more than a few back to companies who in turn send me back an email stating that what I sent back would be acceptable to the majority of collectors. Guess I'm being too picky.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

rookiecrdnut wrote:Thanks for the replys. Damaged boxes has been a reoccurring thing with me lately. I've sent more than a few back to companies who in turn send me back an email stating that what I sent back would be acceptable to the majority of collectors. Guess I'm being too picky.
Don't accept that. Keep sending them back if it happens. It's their responsibility to pack whatever you buy from them well enough for it to arrive in pristine condition, regardless of it being a collector's item or not.

How the hell would they know what would be acceptable to the majority of collectors anyway? That's just downright BS.

TL;DR - You're not too picky. Don't take sh#t from incompetent/clueless companies.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

This.

One the most impressive things to read about a vendor (or person selling on UC) is that they pack items well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro