Danger of the opened deck of cards

If you have questions about, or submissions for, the Knowledge Base post them here.
korky

Danger of the opened deck of cards

Unread post by korky »

Hello everyone.
I’m new to collecting cards and thought I post my first topic/question here. In the past I have collected British Commonwealth stamps and comics. After getting my fingers burnt a few times I am now experienced enough to know what to look out for.

The one thing I’m concerned about collecting cards is that I’m told I shouldn’t open the deck because it will (a) make it less desirable (b) devalue the deck. In which case, how do I know the contents are OK, especially the more expensive cards, and especially when buying from ebay?

Are there fakes out there I need to stay away from? Is it easy for folks to re-seal decks and pass them off as unopened/unused? When I receive my deck of cards what should I be looking for and how do I spot if the decks are not right?

Or maybe it doesn't matters, as long as no one in the chain of ownership decides to open the deck to take a peek ;-)

Thanks in advance
montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: Danger of the opened deck of cards

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Hi,

First off - welcome to UC! I'm sure you'll find everyone helpful and friendly (if a bit straight forward at times - people here tend not to hold back with honest opinions!)

Whether or not youopen a deck of cards is the same question as do you open that figurine of Kylo Ren? Sure it may devalue it, and it may be worth more in mint condition in the future (but it might not), but without opening it can you fully appreciate it? Cards are tactile things and a medium of artisan and artist - sealed in the box - as you imply - could be anything.

It's the catch 22 of any collector - and many people get around this by buying multiple decks - one to keep, one to look at, several for cardistry / magic, extras to trade. (or some variation)

As for fakes - they certainly do exist but are fairly rare. Most, in my experience, originate in China (though I can't state that with any real authority).
Not to be mistaken for reprints or replicas though! (though these should be clearly stated as such).

Removing a seal and reapplying it isn't impossible - but removing the genuine cards and reselling is largely pointless, as the tuck box is often as important as the cards - there's no profit to be made from splitting them up.
I guess you could reseal a wellused deck to pass them off as mint - but you would need to take unusually good care of the tuck and have a cellophane wrapping machine - neither small nor cheap!

Personally I open at least one variation of the decks I buy becase how they look and feel is part of the hobby for me - but everyone has a different approach.
korky

Re: Danger of the opened deck of cards (wap)

Unread post by korky »

Thanks for your advice Joe, is there any place I can to get a guide on cards prices?
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Danger of the opened deck of cards

Unread post by ecNate »

Given you are talking about newer decks, there isn't really a guide on decks recently released. Your best bet is eBay search for sold items.