[BUY] Bicycle 2008 Election Edition - Independent

Need a quick buck or trying to find that rare deck? Check here! If you are a reseller or posting an offer for members that is not a private sale, please use the "Reseller offers" forum (above) instead!
Forum rules

Private Only (member to member) - NOT FOR BULK OR GROUP SALES!

1. We are not running or in charge of any transactions happening here. It is your responsibility to check and see who you are dealing with is a fraud or a friend.

2. Topics must start with either [BUY] - [SELL] - [TRADE] - [CoOp] - [EBAY] or [ISO]

3. In your post you must post your name or ebay handle

4. You must say what country you are shipping from.

5. You MUST post contact information, such as an email or eBay account name.

6. Give as much information as you can when selling (condition, quantity, etc)

7. DO NOT 'BUMP' YOUR OWN THREAD WITHIN 3 DAYS OF POSTING. MODIFY THE EXISTING ONE.

REMEMBER: UnitedCardists.com, the owner and "Friends of UC" specifically disclaim any liability for the use of this forum
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

[BUY] Bicycle 2008 Election Edition - Independent

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Hi all.

This is my first post here in the BUY/SELL subforum of UC. I hope I understand the rules (Yes, I have read them).

Name

My name is Robert Lancaster

Contact Info

My eBay name (as a buyer only) is RSLancastr, just like it is here.

My email address is RSLancastr@aol.com (seeing a pattern here? :D )

My Location

I live in, and the deck would be shipped to, the United States of America (Salem, Oregon).

The Deck

The deck I am interested in obtaining is the Bicycle 2008 Election Edition - Independent Party deck. This is the one with the Eagle pictured on the box. I already have the ones for the Democratic Party (with the Donkey pictured on the box) and the Republican Party (with the Elephant pictured on the box) and would like to complete the set of three.

I would much prefer the deck to be unused/unopened (sealed in the original celophane), but will consider other conditions (at a price appropriate to that condition).

Price

I am looking to pay a reasonable price. (I would like to have the deck but am not desperate for it).
-Marcel Marceau
Eyeball

Re: [BUY] Bicycle 2008 Election Edition - Independent

Unread post by Eyeball »

Were you able to find this deck at a decent price? I am also looking for 1 of these.
RSLancastr

Not as yet, no. :(
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Okay, I just bought one, but I had to buy all three for $24.95, even though I didn't need the other two.

Once they are in my hands I will find out if the seller has any more of them for sale (he would not sell the Independent by itself, I already found that out...

I'll let you know what comes of it, Eyeball!
-Marcel Marceau
Eyeball

Unread post by Eyeball »

RSLancastr wrote:Okay, I just bought one, but I had to buy all three for $24.95, even though I didn't need the other two.

Once they are in my hands I will find out if the seller has any more of them for sale (he would not sell the Independent by itself, I already found that out...

I'll let you know what comes of it, Eyeball!
Awesome :). Did you buy them from AceKing? That's who I was thinking about picking up the set from but I couldn't decide if it was worth it for just the independent deck.
RSLancastr

I'm pretty sure it was AceKing. It was on eBay.

I thought it worth the $24.95, mostly because I have mislaid the other two after I scanned them in, along with around 15 other Bikes which I keep hoping I'll find some day, but most likely won't until I've replaced most ofthem anyway.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Eyeball, in case you didn't see it in the "Look what I added to my collection!" thread, I received the three decks:

I am happy with them, and happy to have paid only $11.95 (+ shipping, I think) for them.

I already had the Dem & Rep decks, so now I have sealed duplicates of both, along with the Independent one.

Quite frankly, I would have paid $11.95 for just the Independent one!
-Marcel Marceau
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

What made those Independent decks so difficult to find??? I'm looking online and I can get those other two for $2.95/deck... Are there better deals out there, as AceKing has these now going for $24.95 for the complete set... :(
badpete69
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

MJF the $2.95 decks are for the republicans or democrats deck only. You cannot get the independent deck (the purple one) anywhere but in that set
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Got it. Thanks! :)
RSLancastr

MJF wrote:What made those Independent decks so difficult to find???
I'm just guessing here, but the decks were evidently first marketed through a campaign which urged consumers to go out and "make their vote known" by purchasing the deck for the party they were going to vote for in the election.

I would imagine that retailers subsequently stocked up on the Democrat and Republican decks, but stocked few (if any) of the Independent deck, foreseeing low demand. USPC may have even printed far fewer of them, for the same reason.

This would have made the Independent decks far rarer than the other two now.

Make sense?
-Marcel Marceau
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Yup, that's what I kind of figured happen. They printed demand for the decks based upon support of the parties... I wouldn't be surprised if of the total number of decks it was split 45/45/10 (and that's assuming they even printed that many Independents).
RSLancastr

And what about those parties with even less support than Independent?

Is there, out there somewhere, a single copy of, say, an American Nazi Party deck?

(I lived not too far from their headquarters in El Monte, California. It was quite startling the first time I saw the building, with a huge swastika painted on its side).
-Marcel Marceau
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

That would be creepy to live next to that... though on the opposite side the swastika was actually a symbol used to represent good/protection... only in the last decades was it tarnished after being used heavily by the nazis...
RSLancastr

Yes, it was considered a symbol of good luck, even in America, prior to WW2.

Card players being a superstitious lot in general, good luck symbols were (and might still be) frequently found on card backs and on poker chip sets. So it makes sense that there are swastikas on the backs of many decks printed in America from around 1900-1925.

Given our strong association of the symbol with Nazi germany, it can be jarring to see one of those decks nowadays.

Decks (and poker chips) with swastikas on them frequently turn up on eBay. And, before eBay forbade the selling of Nazi merchandise there, these items were frequently described - incorrectly, whether intentionally so or not - as "Nazi playing cards" and "Nazi poker chips".

Prior to knowing this, I once found an interesting deck in an antique store, the suits of which (the deck, not the store) were Horseshoes, Wishbones, Four-leaf clovers and Swastikas. I did not buy it (which I now regret).

That deck, titled "Roodles", turns up on eBay now and then. I saw it as recently as a week or so ago.
-Marcel Marceau
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

http://www.stateofplayblog.com/2011/01/ ... cards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
http://www.stateofplayblog.com/2011/01/ ... -revisited" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
swasticacard.jpg
swasticacard.jpg (129.95 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
---------------

Sorry back on topic now.
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

Russell wrote:http://www.stateofplayblog.com/2011/01/ ... cards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
http://www.stateofplayblog.com/2011/01/ ... -revisited" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
swasticacard.jpg
---------------

Sorry back on topic now.

I´m german and i was shocked to see this card...seriously....but reading the article i relaxed a bit. This design was made before the WorldWar. *phew*
RSLancastr

cosmicsecret wrote:I´m german and i was shocked to see this card...seriously....but reading the article i relaxed a bit. This design was made before the WorldWar. *phew*
Yes, I have read that there are some strict laws in Germany now about using a swastika.

Other cultures have used it for centuries. Some American Indian tribes have swastika motifs in woven blankets and baskets, swastikas being easily made when weaving.

They are common in Hindu art as well.

When I lived in Los Angeles County, there was a nearby Hindu temple with an iron gate at the entrance with swastikas in it, which was frequently vandalized, apparently by people thinking there was some Nazi connection there.
-Marcel Marceau
Eyeball

Unread post by Eyeball »

RSLancastr wrote:Eyeball, in case you didn't see it in the "Look what I added to my collection!" thread, I received the three decks:

I am happy with them, and happy to have paid only $11.95 (+ shipping, I think) for them.

I already had the Dem & Rep decks, so now I have sealed duplicates of both, along with the Independent one.

Quite frankly, I would have paid $11.95 for just the Independent one!
Very lucky! I wish I could find a deal like that. AceKing is the cheapest I can find currently, still don't know if it's worth it.
RSLancastr

Sorry, brain fart there.

I paid $24.95 for the set:

CLICK TO VIEW LISTING

The $11.95 was for another eBay purchase, and I got the two confused.

As you were.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

For anyone still interested (I'm not the seller):

CLICK TO VIEW LISTING
-Marcel Marceau