CLOSED (non-issue): Custom name & Deck type bug

Having Trouble using the Playing Card Database? Post it here!

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

CLOSED (non-issue): Custom name & Deck type bug

Unread post by ecNate »

I had assumed you were in the process of implementing a deck type selection field ( to support uncut, etc) and the bug was temporary, but it's been there quite a few hours. The deck type field just lets you pick from any deck name in the database and not an actual type. Not sure what was intended, but that's an issue there at the moment for sure. Was expecting to see a checkbox instead of drop down with all names.

Also, I'm not clear what the purpose of Custom Name vs (what I will call) stored name are. It seems from past behavior that the first name entered when it is added to the database is permanently recorded and can't be changed, but the name that is changed is now called custom name. This raises the question and point about recycling other deck entries since that could cause confusion. Are you using the original name as your primary key?
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: Custom name & Deck type bug

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I can edit both names... just using the two different edit options;
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.05 KiB) Viewed 688 times
But I don't understand the need for both names. One seems to be an internal name and the other a display name?

(The deck number is the primary key, names NEVER should be. Indexes maybe...)
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Haha, not a bug x2 :)

The top section is used for listing details about -your- deck.

The bottom section is used for listing details about the global site deck. Many people can own a tiger deck for example.

PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

So the deck type is what links your personal deck entry to a deck on the website:

So there's also a deck name, and then there's a custom name for your personal deck (please bare in mind this was all in place before I added a quantity field, so if I had 5 tigers decks then I could call them "Tiger New", "Tiger New but with beer spilt on it", etc...
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Well I think I understand my confusion now. I used to be able to edit an actual deck from links in my collection, but now that allows me to edit my owned item only. To edit the actual deck I have to search for it or click from the brand listing and then choose edit. :lol: EDIT - Now I see when I click on it from my collection I have 2 edit options with the first one being to edit my copy of the deck and the second for the PCDB deck entry. Perhaps you can modify the words on those for clarity? Maybe add prefix of "{username}'s copy of" as in "ecNate's copy of (#261) EMILY THE STRANGE (EDIT)"

I still don't understand why I would want to re-assign a new source deck to an item in my collection. I suppose if I added the wrong one originally I could re-assign it, but it seems easy enough to simply change the num owned for the wrong one to 0 and the proper one to 1. I would think you can safely make that field read only (no option to change), but not a big deal.

Either way, not really a bug though I suppose. I'll update the thread title to be "CLOSED (non-issue)"