Identify Feature

If you'd like to see something new in the Playing Card Database post here.
(You never know - it might happen!)

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

tfordyce
Lurker
Lurker

Identify Feature

Unread post by tfordyce »

Some decks do not have recognizable titles on the tuck, and even the ones that do are sometimes difficult to identify by title alone. Which version are they? Which print run? And what about all of the pesky details like who the author is, the manufacturer, the company who hosted the design, and the print date?

I think it would be awesome to have an Identify option where you can see the front and back of the tuck box and one of the court cards of registered decks (the ones that have been listed on the site) in sortable and filterable list to help you identify the deck you're looking at. This would require that detailed information on each deck be entered, so this feature may take a very long time to implement in full, but I think it would be well worth it as a collector resource, especially for those who are seeking to trade but may not know exactly what they're being offered.

I have been using the Discover feature for this to this point, and it really is not an intuitive option. There may be other resources for this out there that I am unaware of, but I think it would be ideal if you could turn Portfolio52 into an all-in-one card collectors' resource.
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Identify Feature

Unread post by ecNate »

Wow, that's a lot of concerns and ideas! ;) Let me try a bit here to respond to some of them. I think your idea is actually a really good one and could be implemented a number of ways. Simplest would be do have decks have additional fields like 'primary tuck color' and 'primary card back color', etc which then could also be used in filter along with manufacturer, year, etc to narrow down a detailed search instead of the simple one we have. That, along with the proposed special images for certain cards (a prior suggestion already was to have them for AoS, Joker and card back), would really help. However, that only works if somebody takes the time to populate all those fields and considering we already have 3,600 decks it would be tough to catch up, but certainly worth getting started and for those new ones in the future!

However, I should be realistic and let you know they have a very long list of other things to attend to, including previous lost features and more critical needs. So, I hope Alex does consider this, but until then:

Using a reverse Google image search can help identify a deck in many cases, especially if you consider that Google scans P52 so if you scan your tuck and do a search and nothing is found then it's probably not in the database. Forcing the search to limit itself to P52 could also help in that case. There are also forums like this one and 52+J where you can post photos and ask others if they know more about it, which then may help you locate or add it.

Some of your earlier comments about knowing version, print run and pesky details: if it's not known or certain they are not to be added, so you are right that many times they will be blank. As for the title, we usually use what the creator calls it and especially if there is a clear actual title on the tuck. If not, we use descriptions like 'Coca Cola - Santa' or 'Coca Cola - Polar Bears (1998)' or even 'Coca Cola - Santa (2)', etc.