User defined values

If you'd like to see something new in the Playing Card Database post here.
(You never know - it might happen!)

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

User defined values

Unread post by ecNate »

{MOVED}

Anyhow, I think this really brings up the concept of creating user defined values. There could be say 2 check boxes and 2 numeric values within an individuals collection and then a related 4 field names that can be customized (rhu would just call user value 1-4 and user labels 1-4). You could specify that your 2 numeric values are 'Open' and 'Sealed' and then update those values within your collection. Meanwhile, I might call those same values 'On Loan' and 'Lost', others might use them for 'purchased price', 'year purchased', etc. The check boxes could also then be used for purposes like 'Favorites', 'Consider Selling', 'Transformation Deck', 'Uncut', etc. Implementing some simple sorts and groupings within an individual's collection could create any number of possible features without forcing it on everyone else or making it a 1,000 field nightmare to work through.

I think 3-5 custom fields for each check boxes and numeric might be a better goal though. We already have a description field so I don't think any custom sub labels (text boxes) would be needed here.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: User defined values

Unread post by ecNate »

ecNate wrote:I think 3-5 custom fields for each check boxes and numeric might be a better goal though. We already have a description field so I don't think any custom sub labels (text boxes) would be needed here.
Correction. As pointed out in another related thread, having a set of custom text fields would be greatly useful. I think we could get by with free text (vs keywords to also manage), although that would be cool to have individual customization categories to manage within an individual collection. Just adding the 3-5 custom text fields would allow people to create values for things like Type (Souvenir, Advertising, Repro, Novelty) or Specialty (Flourishing, Magic, Art, Fanning) which will be especially useful if these are not handled at the database level. Although there certainly could be any number of attributes somebody may want to apply to decks and then later be able to group based on it that doesn't work easily with checkboxes or numeric fields.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: User defined values

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I agree - for those things we weill never care about stats for - personal notes, condition etc a couple of text fields for each deck would be cool