Feedback needed on new feature: "find that deck"

If you'd like to see something new in the Playing Card Database post here.
(You never know - it might happen!)

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

rhu

Feedback needed on new feature: "find that deck"

Unread post by rhu »

I've set up a very early public live test of a very new feature on the site. I wanted to help users find a deck they're looking for, so it will search all of the trade lists on the website and then it will search ebay. If this works / is useful then I'll extend it to handle other stores too.

The trade feature is something I'm particularly keen to extend, once I pad out the users pages and implement a PM system then hopefully people will be more interested in trading with each other through the site.

What do you think? Is this a good direction to take the site in?
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Feedback needed on new feature: "find that deck"

Unread post by ecNate »

The feature is already on ebay, but this would simplify the process. I do like the trade option as well, but not sure I would use that.

Do you think people could also use the trade as for sale easily? I would think if somebody has it for trade they would also entertain offers to purchase so it wouldn't have to be built into the the application as another checkbox.

That said, I think there's maybe some other priorities to work out first, but if this keeps you engaged, go for it!
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I guess a "for sale" or "Trade value" field would be needed?

Though I'm sure that could be easily worked out by talking to the person ;)
cherrynukacola

Unread post by cherrynukacola »

Love the find the deck function. It would be great if users could indicate that they have one for sale and also allow us to add retailers that have the deck in stock.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

cherrynukacola wrote:Love the find the deck function. It would be great if users could indicate that they have one for sale and also allow us to add retailers that have the deck in stock.

Somewhere it was discussed about trade vs sale, but really if somebody has it for trade then it means they may be open to a sale and just contact them to determine a price. I see the point about making it listed what price is and making it clear that it is for sale vs trade. My gut feel is that could end up being feature creep and trying to duplicate ebay with feedback ratings, shipping details, condition, etc. Still, that does sound like a good possible future addition. Until then you could also just modify the deck title in your collection to clarify how many for sale and price, that 'should' work.

Retailers in stock sounds really cool, but my guess is that will get added so little and more importantly the data will go stale and be inaccurate over time that it will be more of an annoyance than any help. I love the idea, but I wonder
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

The in - stock feature would be great, but un;ess there could be an automatic crawl/search like the ebay feature I don't think it would be maintainable...

Still, I look forward to Rhu proving me wrong lol
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I saw how hard it was for emmanuel to keep up with who still had his curator deck and with so many possible sites and methods / tech for showing in stock I don't see how it would be auto maintained.

However, I do see how this suggestion could have value. There are some lesser known decks which may only ever have been available from the artist so listing that, even in description field manually would be good.

Also, keeping track of every possible location and handling all systems is a bit much for rhu to handle. Maybe rhu could pick the top 5 sites that can be crawled and just do those.

All inclusive is a dream, but there may be a way to handle some of it.