IMPLEMENTED - Ability to financially support PlayingCardDB

If you'd like to see something new in the Playing Card Database post here.
(You never know - it might happen!)

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

IMPLEMENTED - Ability to financially support PlayingCardDB

Unread post by ecNate »

I realize UC is a sponsor of PlayingCardDB, but not knowing the details of that arrangement I can only assume there is still quite a bit of personal time and money you have to put in. Being able to allow users to freely donate may help offset that and inspire you. Perhaps an annual fund drive would be good or maybe even a Kickstarter project to implement a specific set of features, but challenge there will be what to provide as 'rewards' since ideally this should remain free/open system.
rhu

Re: Ability to financially support PlayingCardDB

Unread post by rhu »

If memory serves Mike did offer to help support it financially, but he had just taken over UC at that stage and I thought UC money was better spent on supporting UC (:

What I lacked back then was information on playing cards, and that's one thing you guys are still not short on ;) So it's more of a mutually beneficial link exchange arrangement.

Truthfully speaking though, I have tried to think of ways to help fund the site lately to make sure it is sustainable in the long term and can continue to grow but I've not had much luck! I would be more interested in having 10 members donate £2/month than take a one off payment for £20, but (as you've pointed out) the most important aspect is keeping this a free, open and impartial system.

So until I think of a better idea I'll just keep it as an acceptable loss for doing something that I enjoy :)
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

You can always just have a paypal 'donation' button at the top of the site or something and periodic reminders. It would help to clearly list annual costs, along with explanation of your time, and also funds received to date to help people understand any need.
Slavich

Unread post by Slavich »

ecNate wrote:You can always just have a paypal 'donation' button at the top of the site or something and periodic reminders. It would help to clearly list annual costs, along with explanation of your time, and also funds received to date to help people understand any need.
+1 To that idea
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Alternate support method provided - donate to the Oxfam charity using link on PCDB

Details here:
http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5793