Version 2 Beta soft launches this week

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Version 2 Beta soft launches this week

Unread post by ecNate »

I updated Alex on this, perhaps when he has time, and money ($$$) to pay developer for fixes, he'll take a look at some of the concerns. I've stepped back quite a bit from the project lately since Alex took over from Rhu, but still help out when I can. That combined with being less aggressive in collecting means I'm not in there as much.

However, I did finally figure out how to get to the admin panel today after Alex upgraded me back to admin a few months ago. I might have a chance to figure out who is creating all the duplicates when I do another round of cleanup.

Please also note that it should still work that general users who submit decks must have them approved, but Azid's experience tells otherwise. My own testing with a new general user did require approval so somebody must be approving Azid's and unfortunately a lot of the garbage entries and duplicates as well. Be aware that those with access will see the list of decks to be approved under the top right menu with 'Unapproved Decks' link (http://www.portfolio52.com/decks/unapproved). To approve or reject a deck, just access it from the entry in that link and then use the edit button - from there add/correct any details and save it to approve or delete it to reject. BE SURE TO PROPERLY CHECK FOR DUPLICATES AND ACCURACY!!! I'm not sure who actually has the ability to approve submitted decks, but if they are not actually looking for duplicates first then that too will lead to bad submissions. I actually didn't know how that was done myself until today as I was expecting something more obvious when I logged in. Has anybody here been approving submitted decks up to this point?

Alex did previously mention that "Right now contributor's are pretty rare so I actually let their changes go live if they want to add something immediately or edit something.", but of the 2,500 users this is just a small group of mostly people on this forum that were previously editors. So I think the junk that is being added must be from people who should no longer be contributors or somebody approving garbage.

EDIT - I think I see the main problem here with testing with my general user account. When a general user creates a new deck it is held for approval, but they can add to their collection. It also shows up in the recently collected list which I think allows others to add it, but does not get added to the searchable database or the recently added until approved. In addition, I think new users may not understand how to add a new deck to their collection so they add a new deck (which waits for approval) and then when they can't find it in a search (since it wasn't approved yet) they create another copy...and another...and another. Then, somebody (individually or a group) must just be approving them without review.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Didn't know about that but this helps a lot ;) so i'll take a look here before i will add a new deck in future.

Thanks for explaining all that things and how it works.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

So Azid was kind enough to work with me and we confirmed that the access roles are working correctly and the access listed for Azid is working correctly - new decks submitted have to be approved first so prior submissions made by Azid were approved by somebody, perhaps quickly. It would be great if there could be an edit log added to see who submitted and who approved, as well as a full list of edits as listed in feature requests, but the priority and simplest to implement would be tracking initial creation and initial approval (if applicable). As an admin I am able to manually lookup a deck on the admin panel to see who originally submitted it, but it's not built in and it also does not list who approved.

One strange thing though is the unapproved list can not be seen if you are a general user and logged in. HOWEVER, Azid found that if you logout it can be seen. I'm not sure if that's an undocumented feature or a bug, but certainly it's a bug on one end or the other! I would say allowing general users to access it and users not logged in is fine and may help bring awareness to the process, but it should be consistent.
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

Haven't approved any decks since the new version. Just took a look and saw this but I can't find a place to delete it after entering "Edit/Add".
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

4.of.Clubs wrote:Haven't approved any decks since the new version. Just took a look and saw this but I can't find a place to delete it after entering "Edit/Add".

The Save/Delete are at the very bottom after editing, or at least are for me. I did go and confirm that you have 'Contributor' access BTW.

I went through all existing entries and deleted most since the majority were the same deck added by a single user and some duplicates. This last one I wasn't sure what to do with since it's not a proper scan, but more importantly I think it's just a tuck change, as in a special case. I've added some in the past like Arcana expansion case since it's meant to include the original deck, plus related expansion cards making a new deck. This is really just a special case and not really anything new, but I wasn't sure so left it to think about it or see what others thought.
flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

ecNate wrote: The Save/Delete are at the very bottom after editing
Only seeing Save at the bottom for those of us with Contributor access.
4.of.Clubs

ecNate wrote:
4.of.Clubs wrote:Haven't approved any decks since the new version. Just took a look and saw this but I can't find a place to delete it after entering "Edit/Add".

The Save/Delete are at the very bottom after editing, or at least are for me. I did go and confirm that you have 'Contributor' access BTW.

I went through all existing entries and deleted most since the majority were the same deck added by a single user and some duplicates. This last one I wasn't sure what to do with since it's not a proper scan, but more importantly I think it's just a tuck change, as in a special case. I've added some in the past like Arcana expansion case since it's meant to include the original deck, plus related expansion cards making a new deck. This is really just a special case and not really anything new, but I wasn't sure so left it to think about it or see what others thought.
Be around here?
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (10.66 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Pretty much, further to the right for me. Could be you only have the option to approve, but not reject. That would suck since it really means I'm the only one who can delete or in this case reject. Meaning they either are approved or sit there waiting. Maybe when Alex stops in he can confirm if this is working correctly or not.

I guess for the moment we can make the process be either:
Approve - Update the submitted entry as needed to make it meet our guidelines, then save it to approve
OR
Reject - Update the submitted entry with a prefix of 'REJECTED' in the deck name with optional any reasons in the description/about deck field. I or somebody can later delete, but in the meantime others out to review for approval will immediately know it's already been reviewed and rejected, ideally with a reason listed. I also update the FAQ pagewith this information.
Capture.JPG
IAmTheChin
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by IAmTheChin »

Hi guys,

I apologize for not being as responsive here. Admittedly I had assumed people would be using the Contact on the site to directly e-mail me. This thread had been out of mind. Thanks to Nate to bringing me back. I'll be sure to be more diligent here. But again we do have a contact form which I'll definitely see.

SEARCH:
When people upload a lot of times they won't flesh out the fields. A deck will only show up if the search term is in the TITLE of the deck or the FIELD. There were way too many uncontrolled searches when we included descriptions earlier.

VIDEOS:
Having been so involved in the creation of this I hadn't really thought about the learning curve of the site. I'll be trying to make some tutorials for the Learning Section in the future, hopefully sooner than later. This will cover image quality, how search works, etc.

DELETE:
I think right now only Admin has this power. I could stretch this to Contributors but I wanted to make sure the average person couldn't go around deleting everything if they had a bad day or an angry customer attacking a specific set of decks of a company.

CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS:
Also addressed by the very wise Nate earlier is our two bottle necks. TIME and MONEY. I'm still unsure how to monetize the site. The deck this year was AWESOME and definitely helps for hosting but didn't cover all the building costs unfortunately. Eventually we'll figure that out. Until then, without being able to pay for people the best thing are the amazing and wonderful VOLUNTEERS! It'll save everyone a bunch of time if we get a bit more volunteers. Email me directly at alex@seasonsplayingcards.com if you're interested!

SUGGESTIONS:
I understand that some people are less interested in the site on the conversion. But let me know with the contact form or this forum what you have in terms of feedback or suggestions so we can try to fix it. Search is a big one and I think it performed so well previously because we had NO infromation except the title. The added fields make each deck have extra levels of complexity for the search we have to address and we're continuing to work on it.

USAGE:
The site is actually growing quite a bit. Right now the site runs at over 2500 members. For better or worse there are new people joining in that are new to collecting and using the site to discover new decks. I think that's exciting and how I pictured P52! But that does mean that I need to get a better teaching structure up ASAP to keep everyone on the same understanding on how to use the site.

If you have any other suggestions just let me know. I'm doing my best to try to run this and Seasons. If there is a real deal breaker e-mail me. I'll try to get it addressed. Otherwise just post in this thread and we can have open discussions of what we like and what we don't and hopefully grow P52 into something better for 2017.
Manage Your Collections with
http://www.Portfolio52.com

Every collection starts somewhere. Start your saga. Start with Seasons.
http://www.SeasonsPlayingCards.com
4.of.Clubs

Still a bit unsure how the search is working...? Was looking for the old black tiger decks but "tiger" didn't return the ones I was looking for. Searching "black tiger" did but a bunch of random decks were listed first, had to scroll down a lot to find them. Any idea peeps?
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

4.of.Clubs wrote:Still a bit unsure how the search is working...? Was looking for the old black tiger decks but "tiger" didn't return the ones I was looking for. Searching "black tiger" did but a bunch of random decks were listed first, had to scroll down a lot to find them. Any idea peeps?
I just tried it the way you did, same results.
All old versions of black tiger decks are registered as "Black Deck Tigers"
If you search for Tigers you get the result you want ;)

Seems that the search engine is only looking for the exact term and not for words that include this term.
4.of.Clubs

Azid wrote:
4.of.Clubs wrote:Still a bit unsure how the search is working...? Was looking for the old black tiger decks but "tiger" didn't return the ones I was looking for. Searching "black tiger" did but a bunch of random decks were listed first, had to scroll down a lot to find them. Any idea peeps?
I just tried it the way you did, same results.
All old versions of black tiger decks are registered as "Black Deck Tigers"
If you search for Tigers you get the result you want ;)

Seems that the search engine is only looking for the exact term and not for words that include this term.
Good catch! Thanks! I'll search more carefully going forward. Interesting thing is the new legacy black tiger doesn't have the "s". :lol:
flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

So here is an example of a deck that was just added - not sure if the person adding has contributor access or not, but if they do I have to question it.

http://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4550/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seriously there needs to be better quality pictures than this.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

flyers3003 wrote:So here is an example of a deck that was just added - not sure if the person adding has contributor access or not, but if they do I have to question it.

http://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4550/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, another person taking photos with cell phone instead of with a scanner. I'm not going to start enforcing restrictions for this type of 'violation' since it's lower quality and doesn't harm, unless Alex wants me to, but surprisingly it wasn't the person I was expecting. This person only submitted 4 decks (yes as a contributor), 2 of them had good images and this and another were very poor. I found better images on the internet and replaced. Will leave a note and send contact for awareness as well.
crazyfandecks

Unread post by crazyfandecks »

ecNate wrote:
flyers3003 wrote:So here is an example of a deck that was just added - not sure if the person adding has contributor access or not, but if they do I have to question it.

http://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4550/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;...

Yeah, another person taking photos with cell phone instead of with a scanner. I'm not going to start enforcing restrictions for this type of 'violation' since it's lower quality and doesn't harm, unless Alex wants me to, but surprisingly it wasn't the person I was expecting. This person only submitted 4 decks (yes as a contributor), 2 of them had good images and this and another were very poor. I found better images on the internet and replaced. Will leave a note and send contact for awareness as well.
sorry for low quality :( will notice that for later. also i just want to ask how to access the wishlist and tradelist of other member :?:
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

crazyfandecks wrote:
sorry for low quality :( will notice that for later. also i just want to ask how to access the wishlist and tradelist of other member :?:
Thanks for understanding and improving. As mentioned, the problem with poor entries is not all users can edit and improve bad entries, but all could originally submit. The golden rule is if you can't provide quality submissions, wait for somebody who can. FAQs and guidelines have lots more on this.

As for the tradelist question, that's been removed by choice per Alex as listed earlier in this thread:
Azid wrote: 5.Trade Function is missing.
As well if you are on the "Full Page Info" you can't click on "Wishlist" or "Tradelists" to see who wants or who trades this deck.
IAmTheChin wrote:
5) That one is a real one. We used to do that but now that the site is starting to scale there was the issue of privacy that came up that I never even thought of before. This is why we don't have user names discoverable in the search bar either. You can only view with direct links right now. I'll consider opening this one back up though. It was definitely a fun one.

-Alex
4.of.Clubs

Few more with low quality pictures...

http://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4510/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4509/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4507/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4508/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IAmTheChin
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by IAmTheChin »

Azid is right about exact terms. We had issues with more flexible search terms. Everything is locked into exactly the title and the fields. Too many people were listing Bicycle in their descriptions and it wasn't filtering properly. I've tried hierarchial search with less than ideal results unfortunately. The search is made for correct searches but hopefully in the future we can expand for "smarter" searches that include misspellings etc.

ecNate wrote: Yeah, another person taking photos with cell phone instead of with a scanner. I'm not going to start enforcing restrictions for this type of 'violation' since it's lower quality and doesn't harm, unless Alex wants me to, but surprisingly it wasn't the person I was expecting. This person only submitted 4 decks (yes as a contributor), 2 of them had good images and this and another were very poor. I found better images on the internet and replaced. Will leave a note and send contact for awareness as well.
The way I saw it playing out was that ANY image was acceptable over the previous beta which had decks with no images at all. That was a problem. I assumed over time Contributors would replace images with better images during the convenience of their browsing. Really what it looks like it's coming down to is that I need to really take the time to create a "Training Guide" on the typical courtesies of adding to the site. There were a lot of assumptions on my part and I just need to have it cleared up a bit since I haven't really touched the learning section. The big thing is that the entire site is from scratch. No modules. That means I take a lot of things for granted and it'll be a lot of iterations to expose all the things missing :P

Regarding Trade Functionality: That one is something I want to bring back out but I'm holding back until we can sort of get the quality of content a bit more monitored. Trade functionality isn't just matching anymore because of privacy issues. It's a full installation of messaging and notifications. I do plan on adding it with an export function as well late next month. This month I'll hopefully add in the Learning Section to get people more on board and address a few of the outlier bugs. Again if I missed anything message me or e-mail me since there are a lot of balls in the air I just try to address them one at a time.
Manage Your Collections with
http://www.Portfolio52.com

Every collection starts somewhere. Start your saga. Start with Seasons.
http://www.SeasonsPlayingCards.com
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Just a reminder Alex, there are also a number of Bug Reports and Feature Requests out there, including new ones since the upgrade. I'll try and find time soon to clean up and mark those that are no longer relevant, but there's some other missing features fields as well that are something to consider if you are able to do a new update in the near future.

viewforum.php?f=59
viewforum.php?f=60