Brands (Bicycle, Bee, etc) in title or not within P52?

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Brands (Bicycle, Bee, etc) in title or not within P52?

Unread post by ecNate »

Rather than clutter the Guidelines thread (http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5627) and have people miss the question, I created a new thread for this. Really hoping for some discussion on this!

Slavich asked if now that we have values such as Brand we do not need to write e.g. [Bicycle] in the deck title and if we should remove that guideline and clean up the existing titles.

At first I wanted to agree, especially since that was initially done as a workaround for not having it, but the more I think about it I'm thinking it still may have value. Especially since I'm not sure it really causes any issue having it there other than having to type it in. In the current views and searches it does return the tuck image so it's pretty obvious if something is branded or not and provided future exports include the brand field that data will then be there. Yet, it's similar to color in that you can obviously see what it is, but it's a valid descriptor and really is part of the deck name and an option or to clarify. Yet color would be lost in a text only export, but brand would be in the brand field. That is, unless only the titles were extracted...

And then I looked down and saw a Bee deck I was messing with last night. In the case of Bicycle it's often applied to a clear theme or deck name as an add-on, but for Bee and many other decks it is even more integral to the name.

Finally, you have the Bicycle collectors who would even argue it's A BICYCLE DECK first and then a theme so it should be 'Bicycle Fed 52' and not 'Fed 52 [Bicycle]'. I still believe that ends up cluttering up views and separating decks that are otherwise related, especially since we know have a way to group by brand with the brand field. Although, hopefully we'll get more group and sort options in individual collections.

So, here's the options as I see it
  • Leave guideline as it is and name is DeckName [Brand}
  • Change to have brand stand alone in the new field and name is simply DeckName
  • A hybrid approach of allowing each new deck to be added either way according to case by case basis, if critical to the name include in name as well as brand field (in the case of Bee), but for Fed52 it can be listed or not and even just as an informal clarification in parethesis like Fed 52 (Bicycle branded)
  • Some other approach, like previously suggested moving brand to the front as in Bicycle Fed 52
  • Removal of the guideline for brand structure in name entirely and let each contributor. Although with out it we'll have wikipedia like battles without the editing and history features to handle, where user A changes the entire database to fit their preference and user B then goes and changes back, and back and forth...
If we need to make a change I personally I like the hybrid approach (3rd option), but I actually quite like the current structure I don't see a strong need to change it. However, I'm just a moderator so want to know what you all think here!
IAmTheChin
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 300

Re: Brands (Bicycle, Bee, etc) in title or not within P52?

Unread post by IAmTheChin »

If we ever have the decks listed in alphabetical format it will group everything into giant clumps of Bicycle (which might be something people prefer). But some people might also want their decks in Deck name order.

If we can develop our tag system the ideal situation would be to tag a deck as "Bicycle" but the deck itself will have the original name so that if you search Bicycle the deck will still come up.
Manage Your Collections with
http://www.Portfolio52.com

Every collection starts somewhere. Start your saga. Start with Seasons.
http://www.SeasonsPlayingCards.com