Guideline for adding sets?

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

decibelhz
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Guideline for adding sets?

Unread post by decibelhz »

Hi all,

I have several sets of playing cards that I'd like to add but there doesn't seem to be a guideline in the FAQ and looking through the database, it seems there are a few ways they've been added in the past so I'm not sure how I should move forward

I've seen the sets split up and added as individual decks and I've also seen them added as a single entry for the entire set. I've seen some listed with the word "Set" in the name to clearly identify it as such but I've also seen ones that don't. Some include the number of decks in the set in the name, some don't.

I don't really have a preference for how to add them as I see the benefits for listing the decks individually and as a set so was wondering how everyone else feels about this.

Thoughts?
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Re: Guideline for adding sets?

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Personally I think each individual deck should be entered, with the set mentioned in the description, and a picture of the set included in the entry.

I actually re-entered as singles the decks that I had previously entered as double decks, but only a few of my sets and doubles have been completed with full pictures so far. I was entering a lot of decks quickly and doing it bare bones. Now I have to catch up with myself. :ugdance:

Some examples:
https://playingcarddb.com/dbdeck?mydeckid=36189
https://playingcarddb.com/dbdeck?mydeckid=5877
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Guideline for adding sets?

Unread post by ecNate »

I mostly agree with dazzleguts. Here is my previous response to decibelhz on it for more details. Another factor was rhu always intended this to be for decks only and not accessories.

My take on the set question is if a set is nothing more than a collection of otherwise available as individual decks then they should NOT be added to PCDB as separate entries. Because really it's just a special packaging of the same decks already in PCDB. However, if they have a special case they came in and it was numbered I could see the argument, but would still believe that not be a deck, but a custom accessory and thus should not be in PCDB. Obviously if a number of others think they should be then I suppose that could be added as well, but then would people need to add the set AND the individual decks or just the set because it includes the decks by definition (user education I suppose).

Would like to know other people's take though.