Is exporting My Collection an option?

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

dleiber
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 150

Is exporting My Collection an option?

Unread post by dleiber »

Is there a way for me to export My Collection to a file (XML, Excel, CSV, etc.)? Or a nicely formatted report PDF? Just curious. TIA.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Is exporting My Collection an option?

Unread post by ecNate »

NOTICE - This is not currently working with the new version of the system (Portfolio52) due to the way the table structure is arranged.

No there is not, but there are pretty simple workarounds to get what you want. Rhu is planning on making this easier in a future version, but for now see below.

- See this thread to obtain a dump of the raw deck scan images in your collection, plus some neat options for what to do with them

- Certainly using the (usually) built in option in your browser to save any page as PDF, otherwise you can download any number of PDF printers (PDF995, CutePDF, etc) to print to PDF

- To obtain your collection as a row/column ASCII text dump (aka, XML, Excel, CSV), the easiest thing to do is simply copy/paste from your desired collection format page. Making the selection on the page can by tricky and this will also try and include the images in the selection as well which may crash your program receiving the paste. I would recommend using List View in PCDB and then use the 'Save As (HTML Only)' option in the browser, then opening this saved file which will display your collection without the images. From here it is MUCH easier to select just the rows in your collection (suggest clicking at beginning or end and start to select, then use Shift+click at the other end). From here it's a simple copy and then paste into a spreadsheet before formatting and removing/adding any needed columns.

EDIT - In case of any issues (youtube keeps messing up parts of it with the text readability), you can direct download here (right click, save as) if you need to see it better than on youtube- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/626 ... dsheet.avi

To give this a chance you will want to go full screen and change to HD, plus turn on annotations or see text below (also in video description)

Here's the text shown in the video
The following will demonstrate how to export your PCDB collection to a spreadsheet (PCDB v1, recorded May 15, 2015). https://playingcarddb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Step 1 - Pull up your collection and save page (HTML Only). This is done because trying to copy paste WITH images can be too much for most programs

Step 2 - Open this newly downloaded HTML file and select your collection entries. It may work best to start at top or bottom and after selecting a bit then hold shift key and click on the other end to make full selection. Then copy.

Step 3- Paste into your spreadsheet program

Step 4 - Format and adjust the spreadsheet file as needed. Will demonstrate removal of formatting and URL links to the decks as an option using copy/paste/copy/paste to Notepad (other methods may include remove formatting options in the spreadsheet or using paste-special).
dleiber
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 150

Unread post by dleiber »

Very thorough response; thank you!

(I used the Thank You button as well, because this felt like it deserved both, but if this is not advised here, please let me know.)
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

Is there a way to take a backup or our collection? In case the DB dies (although I'm sure Alex has backup mechanic in place).

As my collection gets larger I'm gett more sacred all the time I put in to organize it would just disappear one day. :?
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------