PCDB v2 Progress Update

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

rhu

Re: PCDB v2 Progress Update

Unread post by rhu »

Here's a link: http://euk-status.com/2015/05/21/access ... mment-1188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They keep telling me it's almost fixed, then tell me a new reason why it's not. I would rather not have to to port it to a new server since it will take me away from working on the new site.

I'll chase them again just now, and update shortly!
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

They assure me that the data is intact, but will take "time".

We have a plan B, caffeine and coding :D We might be going live sooner than expected ;) Stay tuned!
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Rhu if you want to look at hosting server in the US I can help.... I owned a web server for 12 years and never had more than half of day without service
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

We were switching server to a new company anyway, so we're all sorted! :) Everything is ported over now. We might be missing some data for the week before the site went down but pretty much everything else is intact.

It's been a super busy weekend trying to get the new site launched ahead of schedule. I'll hopefully update with links soon! :D
badpete69

links links links links.... So How goes it Rhu? I bet you ar estill hard at work on the new site
Slavich

Unread post by Slavich »

New site is live when I go to the old one ;)
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

For those without Facebook, here's the update posted there yesterday.
Just a quick update on the status of the site - Rhu (the developer) was already working on v2 and a new provider, but with the recent down time from the previous provider he is making the effort to go ahead and just migrate now and move to the early v2 release. We expect to be back up in the next few days. Sadly, due to the downtime from the former provider, a backup had to be used and may be loss of a few-several days of data, but we'll be back!
Those curious may have already noted that if you head to your collection (http://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=6134) you'll see a redirect to a temporary site. You can then go reset your password ( http://portfolio52.seasonsplayingcards. ... r/password) and you 'should' be able to continue adding decks to your collection or see what the new site looks like. However, it's still not fully ready with all options though so I wouldn't spend too much time updating deck content or trying to add new decks (that doesn't seem to even be up yet anyhow). Rhu will have much more on this when it's fully ready for use and related announcements, yes Alex Chin of Seasons is helping getting us back up and possibly more (again more on that later).

Progress is being made and I wouldn't recommend anybody spend too much time updating decks since we are still early Beta, but I felt an update was needed especially since the redirect is now working and questions were coming in and some of you have discovered the new site already. Again, Rhu will be providing a more detailed update when appropriate.
badpete69

good news thanks for the updates
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I know it's early days but the site already looks fantastic :)
badpete69

Got in this morning.. looks great. Will be adding some of the missing decks tonight when I get home from work
badpete69

So what happened to the comments section where we could make comments on decks in our collection. It took me one month to enter each deck with a special code which locates the deck in my shelves. These comments seem to have disappeared

I guess bottom line question is can you make comments on your own decks in your collection?
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

badpete69 wrote:So what happened to the comments section where we could make comments on decks in our collection. It took me one month to enter each deck with a special code which locates the deck in my shelves. These comments seem to have disappeared

I guess bottom line question is can you make comments on your own decks in your collection?

Oh yeah, I see that now too! That's kind of a big deal. Hopefully he ported it over so the data is there, but just has to update the front end to support it. I know he just added labels for some of the other fields that were there so it's possible the front end and editing UI has to be developed, but the data is still there and it's on the way. At least I hope so... Rhu?
badpete69

Well if it doesnt work I guess it is only 400 decks to go through again... but the 1100 in waiting will wait a little more hehe
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

As those of you who have been able to get password reset and logged into the new system start messing around (FYI - unofficially the new domain is working too: http://portfolio52.com/), we are bound to come across some bugs and missing features previously available. If you do, please report as a new thread with title of 'DEFECT - <descriptive title>' or 'LOST FEATURE - <descriptive title>' in this proper sub forum - Support Requests / Bug Reports. There's a number of them we already know about and probably some Rhu is aware of, but lets get them documented here for Rhu and also for the rest of us so it's clear what we know and and don't know and status of fixes. Once confirmed fixed we can prefix "CLOSED: " to the thread title as before.

If you have any additional feature requests, they will be a lower priority given Rhu needs to get the new hosting up and running on the new version fully and then address bugs, but you can continue to post those here as a new thread - Feature Requests

Lastly, a few of you have reported problems getting password reset and into the new system, but quite a few have. My assumption is those that had problems either didn't follow instructions (they are confusing), the link sent was lost or in spam folder or perhaps they tried requesting it during downtime or config change. Knowing who has gotten in and who hasn't would help in identification for Rhu.

The new system is STILL very much in BETA status and ability to add new decks and other features are still being worked or hidden and being privately tested. Proceed with caution, but have a look around and report any clear issues you find. Thanks, and thanks for your patience and understanding with this downtime and new system.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

ecNate wrote:
badpete69 wrote:So what happened to the comments section where we could make comments on decks in our collection. It took me one month to enter each deck with a special code which locates the deck in my shelves. These comments seem to have disappeared

Oh yeah, I see that now too! That's kind of a big deal. Hopefully he ported it over so the data is there, but just has to update the front end to support it. I know he just added labels for some of the other fields that were there so it's possible the front end and editing UI has to be developed, but the data is still there and it's on the way. At least I hope so... Rhu?
Yikes! I never thought this was actually being used. We implemented a drag and drop feature for organising decks so I took out the custom fields.

I have an old database from May 1st, so as a one off I could get all of this data back for you. No idea where I would put it in the new site though :roll: But this would need to wait until we're stable again since I really need to fix the high priority bugs first.
dleiber
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 150

Unread post by dleiber »

ecNate wrote:Knowing who has gotten in and who hasn't would help in identification for Rhu.
I have gotten in.
badpete69

rhu wrote:
ecNate wrote:

Yikes! I never thought this was actually being used. We implemented a drag and drop feature for organising decks so I took out the custom fields.

I have an old database from May 1st, so as a one off I could get all of this data back for you. No idea where I would put it in the new site though :roll: But this would need to wait until we're stable again since I really need to fix the high priority bugs first.
Rhu.. It's OK If it is a field that wasn't really meant to be used, than its OK. I can create a spreadsheet of my own and re type my locations. I had shown my wife the database and told here where she could find my hundreds of decks in case I got hit by a bus. Don't bother re-creating that field I'll do it on my own in excel

Great site so far. Quick comment When you hover over a deck to see the back, I hate that semi invisible box that pops up and hide most of the back. Is there a way to make that smaller?
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Rhu already gave permission to share this, but I was holding out waiting for the link to just appear and since that's not yet ready I decided since testing done by myself and a few others seems to work OK and I trust you all...here's the direct link to add new decks to the new Portfolio52. Eventually we'll have a proper link or button within the system, but go ahead and start adding or re-adding decks. Just be sure to follow our established guidelines as usual and SEARCH well for a deck before adding. Also, don't neglect those new fields! http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=7241

Secret link to add a deck (will eventually be integrated into the site with a button, bookmark for now): http://www.portfolio52.com/node/add/deck