PCDB Year Value?

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

PCDB Year Value?

Unread post by ecNate »

Any thoughts on what we should use as year? Because in most cases the date printed on a deck is the year it was submitted and/or art created which establishes the copyright, this does not always match the date it was actually printed or released. Since I think we really want to state when a deck was released this means decks like the recent Made decks should have 2015 listed instead of 2014 which is the copyright year on the tuck. This seems a bit confusing though. Here's the current guideline on this, any suggestions on changes here?
DETERMINING THE RELEASE DATE
* ONLY document the year it was made available, details about an exact date or time should be listed in the description if desired
* For a commercial deck that is available for immediate sale the date/year it is made available for purchase obviously should be utilized
* For a crowd funded deck (eg. Kickstarter), the date/year used should be when the deck was confirmed as printed, even if some backers have not yet received their rewards.
* If the exact year is not known, common for vintage decks, substitute 'X' as needed. For example, a deck known to be printed sometime in the 1960s could be listed as '196X'.
* Replica/Facsimile decks can list BOTH the date when the copy was printed AND the date of the deck it is a copy of. This can be done in the format of '<original date> <copy date>'. For example, '1804 2004'. This should be reserved for exact or near replicas, not inspired by decks.
rhu

Re: PCDB Year Value?

Unread post by rhu »

Personally I think if a year is one year out of date it's not a big deal, when I was making the site my first though was to have the date specific to the day... then I thought does anyone really care in 50 years time if it was produced on 13/07/1965 or 02/01/1965?

I think the date on the deck is what we should use, it's easier and more maintainable than adding 30 minutes of research for each deck. Description can be used to clarify any quirks with the release process :)

Just my thoughts!
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I tend to agree - date of printing is consistent across all manufacturing, whereas release or fulfilment dates across suppliers are not!

(A deck could be printed in 2007 and made available in 2010 for example)
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I think based on this it might make more sense to have the guideline be to use the copyright date listed on the box first, if one exists. If that date doesn't match with the actual print date (as was the case with the Made decks) or if the release was later that can all be explained in the description. The Made decks and other Kickstarter decks provide us an opportunity to have more insight on when things are actually printed and see that discrepancy, but anybody looking at the box is going to assume it is the date listed. We've always also only cared about the year as well, but I would agree what is printed on the box should trump any actual inside knowledge on the specifics of when it actually was printed or released.

Unless there is further discussion I'll update the guidelines to that point. Thanks for the comments.