HOWTO: Create image collage from your Portfolio52 collection

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

HOWTO: Create image collage from your Portfolio52 collection

Unread postby ecNate » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:26 pm  

Updated on Oct 21, 2015 for current version of Portfolio52 (this tutorial was originally created under early PlayingCardDB version).

Yes, it is still possible to create an image stitch/collage in Portfolio52 like it was in PlayingCardDB. It's still pretty easy, but requires a few additional steps.

1) Go to your collection and select the 'List View' ( http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/..<YOUR P52 User Number>/list/alphabetical). This is important because the other views pre-load the tuck back image which will then also get downloaded, which means you'll have to then sort them out later (unless you want them that is). Don't be alarmed by the apparent small size of the images, they actually are larger sized and just artificially reduced on this screen.
2) Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the 'Load More Decks' button, repeat over and over until it no longer appears and all decks are loaded.
3) Save the entire page (on windows in Chrome just right click on white part of page and select 'Save As', then be sure to use the 'Webpage, Complete' option)
4) Locate the saved files, sort by file type and remove all non image files. Most of the supporting site images are png format so should be easy to find, but you may want to scan through and delete any others that were missed. If the system's index has been run on your collection (if it's been 24 hours since you added a deck this should have already happened), then the number of files you now have should match the number of decks Portfolio52 says you have in your collection (duplicates are not counted in the totals).
5) Yes! You now have your entire collection in individual image files! Just use software of your choosing to generate a single collage from these source files or do whatever you wish.

NOTE - Some programs may not handle png or other files than jpg so you may want to convert any files that downloaded as other formats into jpg.

For downloadable programs I found Picasa to be the best free option, although Shape Collage is pretty great as well except it adds a watermark for free version. For online http://www.getloupe.com/ has the most options, but it adds watermarks for free version as well, leaving us with http://www.collage.com/ as the best free option. Most others I've seen are limited to around 20 or 100 images which would only work with small collections.

More examples here from these and other solutions at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nzs762s2p0unxxm/AAD9dNhyKDKMADE50kXcAYkfa?dl=0 that also make it more obvious of the source (you can also hover over the images below and derive from the filename what app was used), but here's a few of each to give you an idea of what is possible.

There's a few tricks for each solution (for example, Picasa needs setting change to be able to even see the small photos, layout tricks, etc). If anybody needs help let me know, but this is pretty easy stuff for most if you are willing to spend a little time.

Last edited by ecNate on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ecNate
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Re: HOWTO: Create image collage from your PCDB collection

Unread postby Eoghann » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:43 pm  

Ok now that's pretty cool.
Eoghann
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Unread postby volantangel » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:23 pm  

Nicely done nate !!
volantangel
Über member
Über member

Unread postby dazzleguts » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:49 pm  

Thats great Nate! Just being able to take the images from the DB to have them on my computer all together is wonderful. As for collage I'd like to see this shape: [MURRAY]

By the way I love that you have the Masterpiece Looney Tunes deck :lol: , we really do have similar tastes. And I'm jealous of your Atari deck :mrgreen: Thank you for correcting the company to USPCC on the Looney Tunes - I'd missed that.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
dazzleguts
Master
Master

Unread postby CBJ » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:26 am  

Awesome! I need to try this
CBJ

Image I was the featured collector on UC for May/June 2014, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection..
Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards..
CBJ
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Unread postby rhu » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:15 pm  

That's really awesome! :)
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
rhu
Journeyman
Journeyman

Unread postby ecNate » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:40 pm  

dazzleguts wrote:As for collage I'd like to see this shape: [MURRAY]

;)

ecNate
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Re: HOWTO: Create image collage from your Portfolio52 collec

Unread postby ecNate » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:57 am  

Just FYI - I tested this out with the latest version of Portfolio52 and it still mostly works. There's a few additional steps and details that I added to the instructions in the first post above.
ecNate
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Unread postby jerichoholic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:17 pm  

Does this not work anymore? It just seems to save the page. How do you get the pictures from that?
jerichoholic
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Unread postby ecNate » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:49 pm  

jerichoholic wrote:Does this not work anymore? It just seems to save the page. How do you get the pictures from that?

Check how you are saving in step 3

ecNate wrote:3) Save the entire page (on windows in Chrome just right click on white part of page and select 'Save As', then[url] be sure to use the 'Webpage, Complete' option[/url])

Note you also need to use the list view, otherwise it will also download the back images. I have not found an easy way around this either.
ecNate
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Return to Portfolio52 Discussion