January releases + PHP developers!

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

rhu

Unread post by rhu »

The bad news is that I've been swamped with work lately and have barely had a chance to log into the site, I just seen that there is now 1788 decks scanned! That can only be described as a "wtf!" feeling of satisfaction to know that this is growing steadily even in my absence :)

However, the good news is that all my hard work in my day job means that I'm long overdue a holiday. So expect lots of releases between the 20th of December and the 4th of January :D

I'm toying with the idea of starting again in Drupal 7, and opening it up as a git repository. I would love this to get to the point where other people can help with the feature requests so I'm not blocking development. Is this an idea anyone else would be up for helping out with?
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: January releases + PHP developers!

Unread post by ecNate »

First, SUPER excited to see you'll be putting some time in on the site. :ugdance:

I had done PHP in the past and would have been willing to assist there time permitting, but not sure about Drupal. Work has been pretty busy lately and likely to get worse so learning something new might be too much. Don't worry though, I'll keep giving you ideas to keep you busy. ;)

If you do open it up to others would there be a test site or would you have a trial period before people get too much power before they are proven? You've done a great job so far and I would also hate to have our work deleted because somebody forget a mundane detail and put a decimal point in the wrong spot. :lol: I do think getting others to help out would be awesome though. I wonder if you could arrange it so it would be more flexible and work with other kinds of collections. At that point you would potentially have a larger pool of developers to help out. Rename the code source repository 'Collection Database' or something and then people could install it to track lighters, baseball cards, die cast cards, coins, whatever. The crowd sourced aspect is a pretty big deal and what's out there is either very customized and not flexible or just very basic. Few if any really offer the more social/crowd sourced aspect, although PCDB could use some clarity and improvements there eventually too.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

I was googling around to see who is chatting about the PCDB and seen this: http://www.beebicycle.net/index.php/topic,516.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this looks epic :) Future layout idea perhaps?
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Looks very slick, I thought it was an ad at first.
Is that someone's personal DB for their collection Rhu?
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Not sure, I made a quick post on their forum to ask in my finest googled-translated-Spanish so would be interested to see :)

Definitely an idea for PCDB v2!
iDoctor
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by iDoctor »

Wow, it looks quite interesting! Let's wait for their answer.
Yours, iDoctor
nesuferit

Unread post by nesuferit »

dazzleguts wrote:Looks very slick, I thought it was an ad at first.
Actually it's my playing card collection database project.
Saw rhu's post in BeeBicycle forum and now I find this post. [emoji1]
Happy you like, feel free to take any ideas you like for PCDB v2!
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

nesuferit wrote:
dazzleguts wrote:Looks very slick, I thought it was an ad at first.
Actually it's my playing card collection database project.
Saw rhu's post in BeeBicycle forum and now I find this post. [emoji1]
Happy you like, feel free to take any ideas you like for PCDB v2!
Thanks, I appreciate that :) I would love to hear more about what you're doing, is it a personal or public database? Any web link for me to checkout? ;)

Let me know if there's anything that I can do to help you out. We have a lot of data in the PCDB to share :)
nesuferit

Unread post by nesuferit »

Well, I thinked of it for my personal use. I'm using FileMaker as I saw there's a FileMaker app for mobile phones so it would be great to have an extensive database on my pc and a lighter version for my cellphone.
I haven't had enough free time so far to have a look at how to link the main database to a mobile version. Hope coming holydays allow me to retake this task.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

As a continuation from this, I am now officially working on PCDB v2. Building it all from scratch properly this time. All your data will be migrated, don't worry! :)

The PCDB was just a few php files and a mysql database that grew rapidly out of control ;) Rather than reinvent the wheel every time I would like to add a new feature, I'm rebuilding it using Drupal. This will future proof the site, make it easier to maintain and easier to add new features.

Trading and communication between members is going to have a bigger focus on the new site.

So if you have a feature you would like to see, feel free to plant it in my mind just now while it's being built fresh :)
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Awesome, I'm still thinking about helping if you place in a repository. Again, I would suggest making it semi-open source and make it more of a universal collection solution which should help with future updates as well by getting more than just card people interested. You've got a great base for it!